Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019 onwards)

    Hide Wikipost
Old May 20, 20, 11:04 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
$1000 gift cards to be available indefinitely. Notified by Simon Mall spokesperson on Dec 26 2019. ($1k cards are temporarily not available anymore at many Simon malls as of March 2020)
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 21, 19, 12:45 pm
  #361  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Programs: Simon Malls
Posts: 47
Simon Employee Here

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Simon Mall has extended the $1000 gift cards thru the end of Oct. I received the information directly from their corporate offices.
Nice! Is this for the West Region Simon Malls? I'm in Midwest and I haven't heard anything...
mwstahly is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 12:57 pm
  #362  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 50
It’s looking more and more like they’re just going to make this $1k “promo” permanent lol (let’s hope so)
royallyflushed is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 1:02 pm
  #363  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 29,938
Originally Posted by mwstahly View Post
Nice! Is this for the West Region Simon Malls? I'm in Midwest and I haven't heard anything...
It's breaking news here. The malls have not yet received the information.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 1:23 pm
  #364  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Programs: Simon Malls
Posts: 47
Simon Employee Here

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
It's breaking news here. The malls have not yet received the information.
You're absolutely right! We just received the e-mail informing all of us! We're very excited... PM for online ordering...

Wil
mwstahly is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 2:08 pm
  #365  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SEA
Programs: AS 75K
Posts: 1,045
Originally Posted by rcw70 View Post
Problem today at Brea Mall with Barclay Lufty MC. 12K purchase was declined despite adequate credit limit and a large purchase notification being added minutes prior. When I called Barclay afterwards , they said it was a cash advance, not a purchase.
so barclays sees Simon vgc purchases as cash advance? any other data points? I have an arrival+ card I'd like to use for now.
atcanobbio is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 2:28 pm
  #366  
Moderator, Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: TIJ/SAN
Programs: Delta Silver. Hilton Diamond.
Posts: 1,486
Originally Posted by royallyflushed View Post
It’s looking more and more like they’re just going to make this $1k “promo” permanent lol (let’s hope so)
I'm hoping after this promo ends the $2k cards come out
ChrisFlyer66 is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 2:35 pm
  #367  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 969
Originally Posted by atcanobbio View Post
so barclays sees Simon vgc purchases as cash advance? any other data points? I have an arrival+ card I'd like to use for now.
No, it's not showing as cash advance. At least as of last night. Barclays is always a pita to deal with. I have $50k CL and I'll get declines if I do $25K despite years of seasoning. I miss my Amex - never an issue even well over your CL.
farwest101 is offline  
Old Aug 22, 19, 1:02 pm
  #368  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,260
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66 View Post
I'm hoping after this promo ends the $2k cards come out
That would be a dream but I highly doubt it.
ericdabbs is offline  
Old Aug 22, 19, 4:22 pm
  #369  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 499
Why stop there? How about just one card for 25k?

Lol
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
shadow520 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 19, 12:39 pm
  #370  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,244
Originally Posted by shadow520 View Post
Why stop there? How about just one card for 25k?

Lol
One Card to rule them all.
tuphat is offline  
Old Aug 23, 19, 2:50 pm
  #371  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: PHX
Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
Posts: 368
I guess it's going to have to be "go time" for me, now, with the latest extension through Oct. The closest SM to me is nearly 1.5 hours away, one way. Remind me the next time I buy a house to choose one much closer! I haven't been MS-ing at a SM for a long time but now it's just getting harder for me to stifle the attraction. I'm just not sure I'm up to the challenge given we live in PHX, which is an enormous sprawl of a city and I'd have to take three different freeways to reach SM. Ordering online may be best for someone like me, but I'm nervous going that route. I'm retired and have the time to devote to the effort, but at what point would you say the distance is just not worth it? Deep down, I really don't want to invest such time and effort, and then I tell myself how the end of Oct isn't so far away and not to be so lazy. Anyone relate?
Tpa-flyer is offline  
Old Aug 23, 19, 7:29 pm
  #372  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 492
Any luck in getting $1k VGC in NJ/PA area?

I called few SM in the area but none of them are aware of $1K product. Strange?
Anyone has any luck recently? Thanks

Update: Was able to obtain some today.

Last edited by ngupta; Aug 24, 19 at 5:50 pm
ngupta is offline  
Old Aug 24, 19, 6:37 pm
  #373  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,594
Originally Posted by ngupta View Post
I called few SM in the area but none of them are aware of $1K product. Strange?
Anyone has any luck recently? Thanks

Update: Was NOT able to obtain some today.
8/18.

Last edited by Chelski; Nov 18, 19 at 7:26 pm
Chelski is offline  
Old Aug 24, 19, 9:50 pm
  #374  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by Tpa-flyer View Post
I guess it's going to have to be "go time" for me, now, with the latest extension through Oct. The closest SM to me is nearly 1.5 hours away, one way. Remind me the next time I buy a house to choose one much closer! I haven't been MS-ing at a SM for a long time but now it's just getting harder for me to stifle the attraction. I'm just not sure I'm up to the challenge given we live in PHX, which is an enormous sprawl of a city and I'd have to take three different freeways to reach SM. Ordering online may be best for someone like me, but I'm nervous going that route. I'm retired and have the time to devote to the effort, but at what point would you say the distance is just not worth it? Deep down, I really don't want to invest such time and effort, and then I tell myself how the end of Oct isn't so far away and not to be so lazy. Anyone relate?
Make sure you call ahead! That would be quite the disappointment to lose an afternoon only to find out none were available.

I bought from my area mall for the first time today and it was very quick and painless. She told me the limit was $10k including fees (and that most people do 9x$1k and one for the balance) and had me fill out a form including my drivers license number. I was a bit nervous about my card being declined so I split it roughly 2/3 1/3 with a secondary card and thankfully both went through.

I'm able to liquidate these for under $1 so total cost is roughly $5 (ignoring time & gas). If I'm using a 1.5% cashback card I get $15 back per card, so $100 profit per trip once all cards have been liquidated. I don't think I'd drive for 3 hours and deal with liquidating them for $80 (after gas) but if your card(s) offer a better return the math can quickly turn in your favor.
Tpa-flyer likes this.
Burton Codh is offline  
Old Aug 24, 19, 9:50 pm
  #375  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,443
Originally Posted by shadow520 View Post
Why stop there? How about just one card for 25k?

Lol
Why stop there, might emboss the purchaser name and remove the word "gift" as well...it is prepaid card, right?
yoyo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: