Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Klemhuzzah
Signing up to buy $1000 visa/mc gift cards
You can buy the $1000 cards on Simon's volume site. Their regular site only sells $500 cards.
If you're new, or haven't bought anything in a year, you need to register at https://www.simon.com/volume/register-consumer
As part of the registration process, you will have to go to a brick and mortar mall and buy at least $3000 in cards in person, as well as filling out some paperwork while there. After that, you can do everything online.

As of Nov 2020, Simon Mall Gift cards will only work for $99/swipe for money services at Walmart and many grocery chains.

$1000 gift cards are available indefinitely.

2020 Promotions

Ongoing: FREEGROUND - Free Ground Shipping on any order size. Limited to 5 orders per customer. Expires December 31, 2020 (subject to change).

5/15-6/17: MDHOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 9 more cards
5/15/5/31: MAYGROUND - Free UPS Ground shipping on orders of 7 or more cards
5/15-6/31: MAY20VG10 - 10% off purchase fees on Visa Giftcards
6/29-7/20: JUL4HOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 5 or more cards. If you select a shipping other than Ground - the code will still take 20% off the purchase fees. Limited to 10 orders per customer.
8/11-8/31: AUG20PR - 15% off ALL fees (excl. shipping fees) on orders of 5 or more cards. Limited to 10 orders per customer (Originally expired on 8/23; on 8/24 promo was extended through 8/31)
10/12-10/14: FSOCT20 - 30% off all purchase fees on Visas and Mastercards.
10/26-10/31 - FS20SCARY - 35% off all purchase fees
11/1-11/30 - HOL20MC25 - 25% off all purchase fees on MasterCard / HOL20VG25 - 25% off all purchase fees on Visa / HOL20AG50 50% off all purchase fees on American Express
11/6-11/8 - FS20THANKS - 35% off all purchase fees

11/16-11/18 - FS20SAVINGS - 35% off all purchase fees

Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2020, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
I have yet to find a grocer that sells more than a $500 MO.

I will have to see if Albertsons has affiliates located outside of AZ
Albertsons actually prints MO up to $500, but you can get additional MO for one total amount. So I get a 500 and 448.xx, and with fees I swipe once for $950. There is a fee for each MO, so my cost is higher than WM, but at this point I’m just getting rid of my vgcs.

Also, our Fry’s stores here sell MO up to $750.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by kajukenbo
I assume that was for two MOs and a single debit swipe?
Correct
Old Nov 25, 2020, 11:39 am

Deleted

Last edited by TucsonJohn; Nov 25, 2020 at 11:50 am
Old Nov 26, 2020, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by redtop43
At my favorite WM, I have not been able to use SM cards at all since about November 2. Admittedly I did not rachet down to $400 for a while, and I have not tried $99 at all. However, yesterday I went to a register to load my Bluebird card. The CSRs on the registers always freak out when I want to load $1000, and sometimes freak out again when I want to do multiple swipes. This time, there was a yellow vest there who insisted that I "had" to to large loads at customer service, and rejected out of hand the idea that there could be cards that worked at the registers but not at customer service. Two days earlier I had loaded $1K in three swipes (400/400/200). Eventually the yellow vest relented (although she was definitely not convinced) and I was able to swipe a $1K card for $1k. One swipe, $1K, and done.

Go figure.
I have learned this. I always go to the register to load but only $500 at a time. The few times I tried to load $1k at a time I got a funny look and a supervisor called over and told to go to CS desk so I just stick with $500 and sometimes just go to a different line and do the same.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 11:02 am
ogg

The regular registers and the CS/MC registers are programmed differently. The CS/MC registers are the only ones that can capture customer ID information, so if, say, you're buying $5K or more of WM Visa GCs, you have to do it at CS/MC because a photo ID is required. The regular registers pop up a screen telling the clerk to send you there.

We know now that whatever update screwed things up for CS/MC registers hasn't affected the regular registers, so if you can convince a cashier to run your transactions there (like card loading) you can continue as you always did. Some cashiers simply won't do such loads--they're afraid they'll screw things up, or they've been told to send all such transactions to the CS/MC registers instead. (Sometimes because other cashiers do screw up such transactions and the managers want the more experienced/brighter clerks at the CS/MC desks to do them instead.)
soy and Travelz like this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TucsonJohn
Also, our Fry’s stores here sell MO up to $750.
Can you elaborate on your experience with Fry's?

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Nov 26, 2020 at 10:50 pm Reason: fix quote
Old Nov 26, 2020, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Can you elaborate on your experience with Fry's?
My local Fry’s allows up to $750 MO. I had not used them in some time since they used to ask to see my card and told me they didn’t accept vgc. And one particular rep that denied me always, always seemed to be there when I went. Recently I tried there again since I had to clear out my stash when the WM issues surfaced. I stopped in 3 times over the last 2 weeks and was able to get MO. It was early evening and the reps didn’t ask to see card. But out of caution/fear I only got ones for $740 or so. I find Albertsons easier, but good to know Fry’s is an option. At least it was 4 days ago when I stopped in.
bocastephen and satman40 like this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
My local Fry’s allows up to $750 MO. I had not used them in some time since they used to ask to see my card and told me they didn’t accept vgc. And one particular rep that denied me always, always seemed to be there when I went. Recently I tried there again since I had to clear out my stash when the WM issues surfaced. I stopped in 3 times over the last 2 weeks and was able to get MO. It was early evening and the reps didn’t ask to see card. But out of caution/fear I only got ones for $740 or so. I find Albertsons easier, but good to know Fry’s is an option. At least it was 4 days ago when I stopped in.
Isn't Safeway the same company as Albertsons? Do they generally give MO's for Gebit cards at Albertsons/Safeways or does it vary from store to store?
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
Isn't Safeway the same company as Albertsons? Do they generally give MO's for Gebit cards at Albertsons/Safeways or does it vary from store to store?
It varies. Safeways near me don't accept any debits for MOs.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by danpeake
It varies. Safeways near me don't accept any debits for MOs.
where are you? Any DPs in Colorado?
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:04 pm

All good in Colorado. At least in CO Springs. They write down the amount in a book.
bbriscoe34 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
The 2 Albertsons near me in Tucson worked fine for MO with vgc. Haven’t tried Safeway though.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:05 am

The 2 Albertsons near me in Tucson worked fine for MO with vgc. Haven’t tried Safeway though.
Further to TucsonJohn’s datapoint, I’ve been generally successful at Albertson’s in the LA area, but I was asked to see my card at two different locations then rejected (I had been successful at one of the stores with a different rep several days earlier) and one store had a handwritten note taped on the plexiglass that said only two swipes and no gebits allowed, but the guy at the desk (who was a manager) didn’t ask to see my card. One store, I forget which, also had a $300 limit. I have only ever tried a single swipe since I don’t want to push it - I got two MOs in one swipe at the $300 limit store since I was only using a $500 gebit - and I’m not a heavy hitter - I’m just trying to max out a few Chase and Amex grocery bonus spend offers. Good luck to you all.
bbriscoe34 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 8:51 am

as meta r mostly not working @ WMs, would help if SM could get US bank VGCs... could help their sales as well, but then, who knows when WM may make a restriction to the US version as well, lol
Old Dec 4, 2020, 3:29 am

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM) | Hertz President's Circle
December DP

Hello all. I'm not new to the MS game but new to posting (been lurking for years, however).

This latest limitation is really a big blow.

On December 2 I went out to visit two WMs (that I know the CSRs at the CS desk very, very well) to gather some DPs. I brought (4) META $500 VGCs and (8) USB $500 VGCs for the test mission.

It does appear that 'multiple swipes after initial decline' is still working for META VGCs at WM. One META went through on first swipe at $500 and the rest all declined. After multiple swipes (some twice, some up to 4 times), they all went through except one. Oddly, the one that didn't go through was given decline code 56 vs. the 51 I've seen on most of the declines (my WM-specific decline code list shows code 56 as 'not a valid card number' — odd decline reason...) The pin pad was Ingenico.

(4) $500 USB VGCs went through on first swipe. Off to the second WM...

Second WM (CS) was a training center and had the updated pin pads (not sure of the brand but not Ingenico — card swipes flat and unfortunately, face up). Same META VGC that declined at the first WM (CS) also declined here — decline code 56 again.

Now the scary part...

I had (2) USB VGCs decline with code 51 and (2) worked. Luckily I knew the CSR as five total swipes for a $1K MO is excessive and obviously suspicious. The CSR said that she had been having 'quirky' problems with DC MO sales all day so hopefully that's all it was but it's very scary to see USB VGCs start having similar declines as the META VGCs...

I'll be back out later today and will report back any interesting/useful info...

-b.

Last edited by Carrisco; Dec 4, 2020 at 6:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.