Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Klemhuzzah
Signing up to buy $1000 visa/mc gift cards
You can buy the $1000 cards on Simon's volume site. Their regular site only sells $500 cards.
If you're new, or haven't bought anything in a year, you need to register at https://www.simon.com/volume/register-consumer
As part of the registration process, you will have to go to a brick and mortar mall and buy at least $3000 in cards in person, as well as filling out some paperwork while there. After that, you can do everything online.

As of Nov 2020, Simon Mall Gift cards will only work for $99/swipe for money services at Walmart and many grocery chains.

$1000 gift cards are available indefinitely.

2020 Promotions

Ongoing: FREEGROUND - Free Ground Shipping on any order size. Limited to 5 orders per customer. Expires December 31, 2020 (subject to change).

5/15-6/17: MDHOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 9 more cards
5/15/5/31: MAYGROUND - Free UPS Ground shipping on orders of 7 or more cards
5/15-6/31: MAY20VG10 - 10% off purchase fees on Visa Giftcards
6/29-7/20: JUL4HOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 5 or more cards. If you select a shipping other than Ground - the code will still take 20% off the purchase fees. Limited to 10 orders per customer.
8/11-8/31: AUG20PR - 15% off ALL fees (excl. shipping fees) on orders of 5 or more cards. Limited to 10 orders per customer (Originally expired on 8/23; on 8/24 promo was extended through 8/31)
10/12-10/14: FSOCT20 - 30% off all purchase fees on Visas and Mastercards.
10/26-10/31 - FS20SCARY - 35% off all purchase fees
11/1-11/30 - HOL20MC25 - 25% off all purchase fees on MasterCard / HOL20VG25 - 25% off all purchase fees on Visa / HOL20AG50 50% off all purchase fees on American Express
11/6-11/8 - FS20THANKS - 35% off all purchase fees

11/16-11/18 - FS20SAVINGS - 35% off all purchase fees

Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)

Old Nov 13, 2020, 2:21 pm

Has anyone been able to use a Simon VGC as funding source in Venmo? When trying to enter in as a payment method, it says wrong zip code.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
Has anyone been able to use a Simon VGC as funding source in Venmo? When trying to enter in as a payment method, it says wrong zip code.
If that was possible we wouldn't be wasting our time at WM
Old Nov 13, 2020, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by benny08
Of course Simon is making money, but somebody's gotta be losing money on this. Most likely the issuer/rewards company. AMEX and Alliant have already stop giving out rewards for Simon purchases. If they make it that easy, I bet more company is going to follow suit.
It is possible, which is why Simon could easily put in some restriction on the amount of MO's one could buy. That would stop people from abusing the system more than it is now. I agree the issuer is the biggest one losing anything in this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
Even if you're able to successfully use it, there's a cap on the number of cards you can add to Venmo within a given (six-month?) period of time.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by History05
It is possible, which is why Simon could easily put in some restriction on the amount of MO's one could buy. That would stop people from abusing the system more than it is now. I agree the issuer is the biggest one losing anything in this.
About 5 years ago, give or take a bit, I had a phone conversation with Kayla Wicker, who at least at the time was the main person at Simon in regard to gift cards. (We touched base because she was trying to reach someone else who has posted.) At one point in the conversation I said "Can I ask you, how do the economics of this work?" and she just chucked and said "Well, it's a challenge." Now that was years ago; obviously they have made a business decision to sell the cards more aggressively, and they clearly are not naive about MS.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 7:24 pm

I wonder if it’s a loss leader to move traffic into the malls.
jawa4life likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 7:36 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by TTT103
My theory for in-mall sales is that it drives overall mall turnover, which probably factors into setting rents.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by History05
Received an email this morning from my local Simon rep about something unrelated to this issue, and asked her about this. Here was her response...

"​​​​​​Good Morning!

Thanks for reaching out, I have been made aware of this at the local level by a few customers and have passed it on to my corporate team. They are looking into it at the national level with Walmart. Last I heard it was a POS programming update that was causing the issue but they are still looking into it so hopefully I will have some more news soon.
Thanks,"
I wrote to my local Simon rep today about this too. Told her that I knew the issue was beyond her level but could she escalate it please?
History05 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 9:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Apparently Simon knew it was Walmart who restricted their gibit a few weeks ago, when everybody complaining about the "glitch". I emailed my account manager and she said it's problem on WM side. I didn't trust her comment back then because I saw so many confusing DP's on this website but now it's getting more and more apparent. Simon knows the MS thing and they have their contact in WM to tell them more than what we can guess on this forum.

I now hope the account managers, at least some of them, can find other roles in Simon corp. Selling gift cards was a great business practice to increase revenue on financial report.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by TTT103
It depends on the discount rate they get from Blackhawk. Meijer sells Visa giftcards in bulk to corporate buyers and they have a 4% discount for $5K+ orders. These corporate types are not buying groceries so Meijer is not doing this to attract them, but instead because their is some kind of economics to it. If Meijer can offer a 4% discount on VGC MGC purchases over $5K, then it implies they are making more than 4% off the bigger transactions from Blackhawk, Sunrise, or whoever.

Now think about Simon Mall....and you wonder why they cater to MS crowd. They have to be raking it in. Think about it. They are most likely selling in the millions of dollars of BHN issues GCs and getting heaily discounted merchant processing fees due to volume. It's not Simon losing money. It's blackhawk losing money, because there is no breakage on giftcards bought for MS.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Which cards did you have? Bought from where?
meta from staples.

Tried again this am using $200 and $100 and no luck. But $50 works fine no pin needed.

curious if I can swipe more than 4 since the pin isn’t necessary for $50?

any dp?
Old Nov 14, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: CMT
DP from IL. I went to two WMs this morning. I loaded $400 to GoBank with 1 swipe by a 500 sunrise VGC successfully at the 1st WM. Tried to load $100 to Gobank with 1 swipe by the same sunrise VGC at the 2nd WM. It didn't work. The error code is 1. I guess that the 1st WM hasn't updated the POS system.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by HenryKohl
DP from IL. I went to two WMs this morning. I loaded $400 to GoBank with 1 swipe by a 500 sunrise VGC successfully at the 1st WM. Tried to load $100 to Gobank with 1 swipe by the same sunrise VGC at the 2nd WM. It didn't work. The error code is 1. I guess that the 1st WM hasn't updated the POS system.
what area in IL?
cashier on MC? I have had luck at cashiers
Old Nov 14, 2020, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Taxiback
what area in IL?
cashier on MC? I have had luck at cashiers
lucky for u folks that can load $ at regular cashier / register; in my area, 9 of 10 told me to go to MC or CS
Old Nov 14, 2020, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
lucky for u folks that can load $ at regular cashier / register; in my area, 9 of 10 told me to go to MC or CS
I have 3 WM within 20 miles of my house. 2 out of the 3 tell me to go to the MC. Closest one to my house allows cashier loads, the MC actually reminds me from time to time the cashiers can load too

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.