Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Klemhuzzah
Signing up to buy $1000 visa/mc gift cards
You can buy the $1000 cards on Simon's volume site. Their regular site only sells $500 cards.
If you're new, or haven't bought anything in a year, you need to register at https://www.simon.com/volume/register-consumer
As part of the registration process, you will have to go to a brick and mortar mall and buy at least $3000 in cards in person, as well as filling out some paperwork while there. After that, you can do everything online.

As of Nov 2020, Simon Mall Gift cards will only work for $99/swipe for money services at Walmart and many grocery chains.

$1000 gift cards are available indefinitely.

2020 Promotions

Ongoing: FREEGROUND - Free Ground Shipping on any order size. Limited to 5 orders per customer. Expires December 31, 2020 (subject to change).

5/15-6/17: MDHOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 9 more cards
5/15/5/31: MAYGROUND - Free UPS Ground shipping on orders of 7 or more cards
5/15-6/31: MAY20VG10 - 10% off purchase fees on Visa Giftcards
6/29-7/20: JUL4HOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 5 or more cards. If you select a shipping other than Ground - the code will still take 20% off the purchase fees. Limited to 10 orders per customer.
8/11-8/31: AUG20PR - 15% off ALL fees (excl. shipping fees) on orders of 5 or more cards. Limited to 10 orders per customer (Originally expired on 8/23; on 8/24 promo was extended through 8/31)
10/12-10/14: FSOCT20 - 30% off all purchase fees on Visas and Mastercards.
10/26-10/31 - FS20SCARY - 35% off all purchase fees
11/1-11/30 - HOL20MC25 - 25% off all purchase fees on MasterCard / HOL20VG25 - 25% off all purchase fees on Visa / HOL20AG50 50% off all purchase fees on American Express
11/6-11/8 - FS20THANKS - 35% off all purchase fees

11/16-11/18 - FS20SAVINGS - 35% off all purchase fees

Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)

Old May 5, 2019, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by humbled_thoughts
should be fine for staples, OD/OM purchases. As long as your account never comes up for review.
haha, "As long as your account never comes up for review", why risk it?
atw504 likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by yaji
First time realizing how nice the girls (at least here they all are) at Simon actually are. Ended up getting caught at work so I couldn't make it before they closed, so I called them and they stayed open a couple minutes for me with the GCs ready.
They are freaking amazing. I called a mall I only go to maybe every couple of months, to ask what time the GC kiosk opens Sunday. The woman answered and then said "Is this redtop?" I said "Yes, this must be Ann." By the time we were done, she had arranged for the person at the kiosk to be expecting me at noon, with a full deck of cards, and a form with my name and address already completed.

Actually the girls at my WM are pretty nice to me too, but the difference is, I know at SM the word comes from the top to be nice to customers. At WM I know it could end any day that "And there arrived a new manager who knew not Joseph" and I could be walking out with my tail between my legs.
Carl Christensen and LocoBigH like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by radonc1
I am uncertain as to whether to start a new thread, or perhaps there is an old one. However..

I was originally using MSing to qualify for certain CC benefits. With the passing of Amex's use at SM, I wanted to see if there was any sense to continuing this endeavor for the points.
Just to clarify, I use MSing with CCs not for point value per se, but to get benefits such as status level, etc. (Points were just an added benefit) But I want to look at just how beneficial the points that I receive are as well.
Quick calculation.
At best, using SM, I can get $1000 of MOs for around $8.78. ($3.95 card charge for $500 card plus MO cost of $0.88 per $1000.) (I have specifically eliminated specials such as Staples or OM. I don't use GCM or GC.com through a portal so I do not know the cost using these sites, but let's agree that the complexity in this endeavor becomes greater).
Using this site, the average loyalty program value is $0.01 per point, which means that your 1000 points is on average worth only $10.00 (range $5-$19). (Scroll down to the table labeled "Point value by loyalty program")

So, other than very specific stays (such as stay 5 nights, pay for 4), or very specific sales on specific dates for individual properties, most routine stays now cost a fortune in points. Is there any sense to doing MSing for hotel points? And given the incredible difficulty in using points for airline awards (especially F fares, etc), this is also true for most airlines as well.
Does it make sense to do MSing just to gain points?
Has the world of reward travel been turned upside down by MSing?
I don't think reward travel has been turned upside down by MSing. For one thing, those of us doing huge volumes are usually going for cashback. For another, hotels were always a bad deal for MSing. Airline points are always worth at least a penny, while hotel points are usually worth about half that.

The question of "what are airline points worth" is horribly complex but I'll just offer a couple of thoughts. First, most airlines do not match point cost with cash cost, it's not uncommon to find a last-minute ticket that can be $400 cash or 12,500 miles, so it's worth having the miles around. (Especially since United is eliminating close-in ticketing fees.) I'm not sure what you mean by "F" fares. Overseas premium cabin saver availability has always been hit or miss, but compared to the cash price, miles are usually worth in the range of 4 cents each when you can redeem them that way. You have to do some work, and be flexible on dates, to use them, but there IS availability and when you find it the miles are really valuable.

I admit that I don't understand the banking business at all and why the opulent signup bonuses and 2% (or more) cashback. Of course if the reward is a loyalty currency that will never be used, then it's a good deal for the bank and the airline, and I'm sure a lot of loyalty currency expires unused.
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
haha, "As long as your account never comes up for review", why risk it?
This whole game is choosing how much risk you're willing to take. I'm less risk adverse than most. I also rarely ever MS though past MSR.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:33 pm

With AmEx not playing nice I really hope Simon makes contact with these clowns soon and they can come to some resolution!
Old May 6, 2019, 7:52 pm

They probably will. My guess, Amex saw the glitch and just completely stopped it across ALL amex cards until said glitch can get fixed and properly coded.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by humbled_thoughts
They probably will. My guess, Amex saw the glitch and just completely stopped it across ALL amex cards until said glitch can get fixed and properly coded.
Glitch??? Amex has known the SM purchase with the current codincg is GCs, so they likely decided to no longer issue pts... unless or until SM changes the coding

Last edited by danhouston; May 7, 2019 at 11:35 am
Old May 7, 2019, 11:28 am

AMEX has known for a long time. They clearly knew when they blocked Simon from earning for spend requirements. They sell AMEX gift cards at Simon, it really isn't a secret. If there was a glitch with certain cards/locations that makes much more sense and at least gives some hope that the purchases may earn points in the future.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
Glitch??? Amex has known the SM purchase with the current codincg is GCs, so they likely decided to no longer issue pts... unless or until SM changes the coding
Amex would have done that back when they cut off simon from earning the bonuses for MSR. That's where they were losing the money from. not from spend bonuses or things on other cards for the most part like a delta, spg, hilton
Old May 8, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
If Simon no longer works for minimum spend and now regular spend on Amex, how about the Simon website or the identical giftcardmall.com? It's the only way I've been meeting AU (both my cats have a credit history now) spend all at once since they check ID at in-person purchases if its large enough
Old May 8, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by msp3
If Simon no longer works for minimum spend and now regular spend on Amex, how about the Simon website or the identical giftcardmall.com? It's the only way I've been meeting AU (both my cats have a credit history now) spend all at once since they check ID at in-person purchases if its large enough
I am uncertain as to your question, but if you are asking whether Amex will recognize a GC purchase when made on-line through Simon, I suspect that the answer will be yes.
GCM or GC.com is another question that perhaps someone else could answer.
For now I am presuming that anything associated with SM will be blocked by Amex, so for me, no more SM with Amex.
Old May 8, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by redtop43
I don't think reward travel has been turned upside down by MSing. For one thing, those of us doing huge volumes are usually going for cashback. For another, hotels were always a bad deal for MSing. Airline points are always worth at least a penny, while hotel points are usually worth about half that.

The question of "what are airline points worth" is horribly complex but I'll just offer a couple of thoughts. First, most airlines do not match point cost with cash cost, it's not uncommon to find a last-minute ticket that can be $400 cash or 12,500 miles, so it's worth having the miles around. (Especially since United is eliminating close-in ticketing fees.) I'm not sure what you mean by "F" fares. Overseas premium cabin saver availability has always been hit or miss, but compared to the cash price, miles are usually worth in the range of 4 cents each when you can redeem them that way. You have to do some work, and be flexible on dates, to use them, but there IS availability and when you find it the miles are really valuable.

I admit that I don't understand the banking business at all and why the opulent signup bonuses and 2% (or more) cashback. Of course if the reward is a loyalty currency that will never be used, then it's a good deal for the bank and the airline, and I'm sure a lot of loyalty currency expires unused.
Interesting comments by both of you. However for me I can monetize Hyatt points at 2-3 cents. Merely picking the better values. Previously with SPG the same thing, Marriott ould probably make no sense now. I have not really done any MS personally, however I was considering the Marriott card merely for status since I wont stay there much in 2019.
So AMEX killing SM could be a precursor to Chase and others doing the same.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by redtop43

You are showing a good understanding of opportunity cost - something I preach about endlessly - and if you read enough posts, or I'm bored enough to start posting tonight, you may get another batch..

But, at least in regard to hotel points, I would argue the 6x Hilton Grocery through Amex is close to a 2.5-3% cash back equivalency - throw in efficient use of using them (Wrestlemania, hotels near football games/sporting events) - and they are an incredibly powerful currency to have.

But I'm strongly on team cashback. I got banned from a major Facebook group for telling people how much their "free" points really cost, and how sometimes they would have been better off paying cash, but ultimately that doesn't sell credit card links, so what can ya do?
Old May 9, 2019, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Tectomoc
AMEX has known for a long time. They clearly knew when they blocked Simon from earning for spend requirements. They sell AMEX gift cards at Simon, it really isn't a secret. If there was a glitch with certain cards/locations that makes much more sense and at least gives some hope that the purchases may earn points in the future.
Gotta think this is much deeper than most are talking about here in our L1 holding cell - but the fact that people were getting 100k MR for a trip to the local Simon Mall where restaurants may have been certainly didn't help things out. Throw in some new processing changes and the Frequent Miler how-to advertisement on Manufactured Spending at Simon, and get your RIP Gravestones ready. I lost thousands before I was clued in.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by horseymen
Gotta think this is much deeper than most are talking about here in our L1 holding cell - but the fact that people were getting 100k MR for a trip to the local Simon Mall where restaurants may have been certainly didn't help things out. Throw in some new processing changes and the Frequent Miler how-to advertisement on Manufactured Spending at Simon, and get your RIP Gravestones ready. I lost thousands before I was clued in.
Are you saying SMs with restaurants have coded x4 on Am3x Gold? No wonder Am3x has address the 'issue'
LocoBigH likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.