Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019 onwards)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 24, 20, 4:45 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: danpeake
Wiki Link
$1000 gift cards to be available indefinitely. Notified by Simon Mall spokesperson on Dec 26 2019. ($1k cards are temporarily not available anymore at many Simon malls as of March 2020)

2020 Promotions

Ongoing: FREEGROUND - Free Ground Shipping on any order size. Limited to 5 orders per customer. Expires December 31, 2020 (subject to change).

5/15-6/17: MDHOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 9 more cards
5/15/5/31: MAYGROUND - Free UPS Ground shipping on orders of 7 or more cards
5/15-6/31: MAY20VG10 - 10% off purchase fees on Visa Giftcards
6/29-7/20: JUL4HOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 5 or more cards. If you select a shipping other than Ground - the code will still take 20% off the purchase fees. Limited to 10 orders per customer.
8/11-8/31: AUG20PR - 15% off ALL fees (excl. shipping fees) on orders of 5 or more cards. Limited to 10 orders per customer (Originally expired on 8/23; on 8/24 promo was extended through 8/31)




Print Wikipost

Old May 5, 19, 9:26 pm
  #136  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 794
Originally Posted by humbled_thoughts View Post
should be fine for staples, OD/OM purchases. As long as your account never comes up for review.
haha, "As long as your account never comes up for review", why risk it?
atw504 likes this.
danhouston is offline  
Old May 5, 19, 9:27 pm
  #137  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PHL (kinda, no airport is really close)
Programs: AA Exp (2020 is first and last year). Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Posts: 3,314
Originally Posted by yaji View Post
First time realizing how nice the girls (at least here they all are) at Simon actually are. Ended up getting caught at work so I couldn't make it before they closed, so I called them and they stayed open a couple minutes for me with the GCs ready.
They are freaking amazing. I called a mall I only go to maybe every couple of months, to ask what time the GC kiosk opens Sunday. The woman answered and then said "Is this redtop?" I said "Yes, this must be Ann." By the time we were done, she had arranged for the person at the kiosk to be expecting me at noon, with a full deck of cards, and a form with my name and address already completed.

Actually the girls at my WM are pretty nice to me too, but the difference is, I know at SM the word comes from the top to be nice to customers. At WM I know it could end any day that "And there arrived a new manager who knew not Joseph" and I could be walking out with my tail between my legs.
Carl Christensen and LocoBigH like this.
redtop43 is offline  
Old May 5, 19, 9:47 pm
  #138  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PHL (kinda, no airport is really close)
Programs: AA Exp (2020 is first and last year). Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Posts: 3,314
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
I am uncertain as to whether to start a new thread, or perhaps there is an old one. However..

I was originally using MSing to qualify for certain CC benefits. With the passing of Amex's use at SM, I wanted to see if there was any sense to continuing this endeavor for the points.
Just to clarify, I use MSing with CCs not for point value per se, but to get benefits such as status level, etc. (Points were just an added benefit) But I want to look at just how beneficial the points that I receive are as well.
Quick calculation.
At best, using SM, I can get $1000 of MOs for around $8.78. ($3.95 card charge for $500 card plus MO cost of $0.88 per $1000.) (I have specifically eliminated specials such as Staples or OM. I don't use GCM or GC.com through a portal so I do not know the cost using these sites, but let's agree that the complexity in this endeavor becomes greater).
Using this site, the average loyalty program value is $0.01 per point, which means that your 1000 points is on average worth only $10.00 (range $5-$19). (Scroll down to the table labeled "Point value by loyalty program")

So, other than very specific stays (such as stay 5 nights, pay for 4), or very specific sales on specific dates for individual properties, most routine stays now cost a fortune in points. Is there any sense to doing MSing for hotel points? And given the incredible difficulty in using points for airline awards (especially F fares, etc), this is also true for most airlines as well.
Does it make sense to do MSing just to gain points?
Has the world of reward travel been turned upside down by MSing?
I don't think reward travel has been turned upside down by MSing. For one thing, those of us doing huge volumes are usually going for cashback. For another, hotels were always a bad deal for MSing. Airline points are always worth at least a penny, while hotel points are usually worth about half that.

The question of "what are airline points worth" is horribly complex but I'll just offer a couple of thoughts. First, most airlines do not match point cost with cash cost, it's not uncommon to find a last-minute ticket that can be $400 cash or 12,500 miles, so it's worth having the miles around. (Especially since United is eliminating close-in ticketing fees.) I'm not sure what you mean by "F" fares. Overseas premium cabin saver availability has always been hit or miss, but compared to the cash price, miles are usually worth in the range of 4 cents each when you can redeem them that way. You have to do some work, and be flexible on dates, to use them, but there IS availability and when you find it the miles are really valuable.

I admit that I don't understand the banking business at all and why the opulent signup bonuses and 2% (or more) cashback. Of course if the reward is a loyalty currency that will never be used, then it's a good deal for the bank and the airline, and I'm sure a lot of loyalty currency expires unused.
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
redtop43 is offline  
Old May 6, 19, 8:52 am
  #139  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 38
Originally Posted by danhouston View Post
haha, "As long as your account never comes up for review", why risk it?
This whole game is choosing how much risk you're willing to take. I'm less risk adverse than most. I also rarely ever MS though past MSR.
humbled_thoughts is offline  
Old May 6, 19, 7:33 pm
  #140  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: PVD/BOS
Posts: 879
With AmEx not playing nice I really hope Simon makes contact with these clowns soon and they can come to some resolution!
ashap is offline  
Old May 6, 19, 7:52 pm
  #141  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 38
They probably will. My guess, Amex saw the glitch and just completely stopped it across ALL amex cards until said glitch can get fixed and properly coded.
humbled_thoughts is offline  
Old May 7, 19, 11:23 am
  #142  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 794
Originally Posted by humbled_thoughts View Post
They probably will. My guess, Amex saw the glitch and just completely stopped it across ALL amex cards until said glitch can get fixed and properly coded.
Glitch??? Amex has known the SM purchase with the current codincg is GCs, so they likely decided to no longer issue pts... unless or until SM changes the coding

Last edited by danhouston; May 7, 19 at 11:35 am
danhouston is offline  
Old May 7, 19, 11:28 am
  #143  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 56
AMEX has known for a long time. They clearly knew when they blocked Simon from earning for spend requirements. They sell AMEX gift cards at Simon, it really isn't a secret. If there was a glitch with certain cards/locations that makes much more sense and at least gives some hope that the purchases may earn points in the future.
Tectomoc is offline  
Old May 8, 19, 9:35 am
  #144  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 38
Originally Posted by danhouston View Post
Glitch??? Amex has known the SM purchase with the current codincg is GCs, so they likely decided to no longer issue pts... unless or until SM changes the coding
Amex would have done that back when they cut off simon from earning the bonuses for MSR. That's where they were losing the money from. not from spend bonuses or things on other cards for the most part like a delta, spg, hilton
humbled_thoughts is offline  
Old May 8, 19, 2:13 pm
  #145  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: JRF
Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver, National Executive
Posts: 1,366
If Simon no longer works for minimum spend and now regular spend on Amex, how about the Simon website or the identical giftcardmall.com? It's the only way I've been meeting AU (both my cats have a credit history now) spend all at once since they check ID at in-person purchases if its large enough
msp3 is offline  
Old May 8, 19, 5:15 pm
  #146  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Posts: 4,285
Originally Posted by msp3 View Post
If Simon no longer works for minimum spend and now regular spend on Amex, how about the Simon website or the identical giftcardmall.com? It's the only way I've been meeting AU (both my cats have a credit history now) spend all at once since they check ID at in-person purchases if its large enough
I am uncertain as to your question, but if you are asking whether Amex will recognize a GC purchase when made on-line through Simon, I suspect that the answer will be yes.
GCM or GC.com is another question that perhaps someone else could answer.
For now I am presuming that anything associated with SM will be blocked by Amex, so for me, no more SM with Amex.
radonc1 is online now  
Old May 8, 19, 6:37 pm
  #147  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Coconut Creek, FL
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Posts: 947
Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
I don't think reward travel has been turned upside down by MSing. For one thing, those of us doing huge volumes are usually going for cashback. For another, hotels were always a bad deal for MSing. Airline points are always worth at least a penny, while hotel points are usually worth about half that.

The question of "what are airline points worth" is horribly complex but I'll just offer a couple of thoughts. First, most airlines do not match point cost with cash cost, it's not uncommon to find a last-minute ticket that can be $400 cash or 12,500 miles, so it's worth having the miles around. (Especially since United is eliminating close-in ticketing fees.) I'm not sure what you mean by "F" fares. Overseas premium cabin saver availability has always been hit or miss, but compared to the cash price, miles are usually worth in the range of 4 cents each when you can redeem them that way. You have to do some work, and be flexible on dates, to use them, but there IS availability and when you find it the miles are really valuable.

I admit that I don't understand the banking business at all and why the opulent signup bonuses and 2% (or more) cashback. Of course if the reward is a loyalty currency that will never be used, then it's a good deal for the bank and the airline, and I'm sure a lot of loyalty currency expires unused.
Interesting comments by both of you. However for me I can monetize Hyatt points at 2-3 cents. Merely picking the better values. Previously with SPG the same thing, Marriott ould probably make no sense now. I have not really done any MS personally, however I was considering the Marriott card merely for status since I wont stay there much in 2019.
So AMEX killing SM could be a precursor to Chase and others doing the same.
robertw477 is offline  
Old May 9, 19, 2:20 am
  #148  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 451
Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
I don't think reward travel has been turned upside down by MSing. For one thing, those of us doing huge volumes are usually going for cashback. For another, hotels were always a bad deal for MSing. Airline points are always worth at least a penny, while hotel points are usually worth about half that.

The question of "what are airline points worth" is horribly complex but I'll just offer a couple of thoughts. First, most airlines do not match point cost with cash cost, it's not uncommon to find a last-minute ticket that can be $400 cash or 12,500 miles, so it's worth having the miles around. (Especially since United is eliminating close-in ticketing fees.) I'm not sure what you mean by "F" fares. Overseas premium cabin saver availability has always been hit or miss, but compared to the cash price, miles are usually worth in the range of 4 cents each when you can redeem them that way. You have to do some work, and be flexible on dates, to use them, but there IS availability and when you find it the miles are really valuable.

I admit that I don't understand the banking business at all and why the opulent signup bonuses and 2% (or more) cashback. Of course if the reward is a loyalty currency that will never be used, then it's a good deal for the bank and the airline, and I'm sure a lot of loyalty currency expires unused.
You are showing a good understanding of opportunity cost - something I preach about endlessly - and if you read enough posts, or I'm bored enough to start posting tonight, you may get another batch..

But, at least in regard to hotel points, I would argue the 6x Hilton Grocery through Amex is close to a 2.5-3% cash back equivalency - throw in efficient use of using them (Wrestlemania, hotels near football games/sporting events) - and they are an incredibly powerful currency to have.

But I'm strongly on team cashback. I got banned from a major Facebook group for telling people how much their "free" points really cost, and how sometimes they would have been better off paying cash, but ultimately that doesn't sell credit card links, so what can ya do?
horseymen is offline  
Old May 9, 19, 2:24 am
  #149  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 451
Originally Posted by Tectomoc View Post
AMEX has known for a long time. They clearly knew when they blocked Simon from earning for spend requirements. They sell AMEX gift cards at Simon, it really isn't a secret. If there was a glitch with certain cards/locations that makes much more sense and at least gives some hope that the purchases may earn points in the future.
Gotta think this is much deeper than most are talking about here in our L1 holding cell - but the fact that people were getting 100k MR for a trip to the local Simon Mall where restaurants may have been certainly didn't help things out. Throw in some new processing changes and the Frequent Miler how-to advertisement on Manufactured Spending at Simon, and get your RIP Gravestones ready. I lost thousands before I was clued in.
horseymen is offline  
Old May 9, 19, 8:33 am
  #150  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 90
Originally Posted by horseymen View Post
Gotta think this is much deeper than most are talking about here in our L1 holding cell - but the fact that people were getting 100k MR for a trip to the local Simon Mall where restaurants may have been certainly didn't help things out. Throw in some new processing changes and the Frequent Miler how-to advertisement on Manufactured Spending at Simon, and get your RIP Gravestones ready. I lost thousands before I was clued in.
Are you saying SMs with restaurants have coded x4 on Am3x Gold? No wonder Am3x has address the 'issue'
LocoBigH likes this.
zmicer88 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: