Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Klemhuzzah
Signing up to buy $1000 visa/mc gift cards
You can buy the $1000 cards on Simon's volume site. Their regular site only sells $500 cards.
If you're new, or haven't bought anything in a year, you need to register at https://www.simon.com/volume/register-consumer
As part of the registration process, you will have to go to a brick and mortar mall and buy at least $3000 in cards in person, as well as filling out some paperwork while there. After that, you can do everything online.

As of Nov 2020, Simon Mall Gift cards will only work for $99/swipe for money services at Walmart and many grocery chains.

$1000 gift cards are available indefinitely.

2020 Promotions

Ongoing: FREEGROUND - Free Ground Shipping on any order size. Limited to 5 orders per customer. Expires December 31, 2020 (subject to change).

5/15-6/17: MDHOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 9 more cards
5/15/5/31: MAYGROUND - Free UPS Ground shipping on orders of 7 or more cards
5/15-6/31: MAY20VG10 - 10% off purchase fees on Visa Giftcards
6/29-7/20: JUL4HOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 5 or more cards. If you select a shipping other than Ground - the code will still take 20% off the purchase fees. Limited to 10 orders per customer.
8/11-8/31: AUG20PR - 15% off ALL fees (excl. shipping fees) on orders of 5 or more cards. Limited to 10 orders per customer (Originally expired on 8/23; on 8/24 promo was extended through 8/31)
10/12-10/14: FSOCT20 - 30% off all purchase fees on Visas and Mastercards.
10/26-10/31 - FS20SCARY - 35% off all purchase fees
11/1-11/30 - HOL20MC25 - 25% off all purchase fees on MasterCard / HOL20VG25 - 25% off all purchase fees on Visa / HOL20AG50 50% off all purchase fees on American Express
11/6-11/8 - FS20THANKS - 35% off all purchase fees

11/16-11/18 - FS20SAVINGS - 35% off all purchase fees

Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)

Old May 11, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by horseymen
You are showing a good understanding of opportunity cost - something I preach about endlessly - and if you read enough posts, or I'm bored enough to start posting tonight, you may get another batch..

But, at least in regard to hotel points, I would argue the 6x Hilton Grocery through Amex is close to a 2.5-3% cash back equivalency - throw in efficient use of using them (Wrestlemania, hotels near football games/sporting events) - and they are an incredibly powerful currency to have.

But I'm strongly on team cashback. I got banned from a major Facebook group for telling people how much their "free" points really cost, and how sometimes they would have been better off paying cash, but ultimately that doesn't sell credit card links, so what can ya do?
Personally, with the advent of Priceline and Hotwire, I rarely book directly with a chain. I will probably have a points stay this summer in Vegas, on a weekend (when local hotel rates spike but Marriott redemption prices don't), using points my dad left to my brother, whom I'm going with.
Old May 18, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
I don't think reward travel has been turned upside down by MSing. For one thing, those of us doing huge volumes are usually going for cashback. For another, hotels were always a bad deal for MSing. Airline points are always worth at least a penny, while hotel points are usually worth about half that.

The question of "what are airline points worth" is horribly complex but I'll just offer a couple of thoughts. First, most airlines do not match point cost with cash cost, it's not uncommon to find a last-minute ticket that can be $400 cash or 12,500 miles, so it's worth having the miles around. (Especially since United is eliminating close-in ticketing fees.) I'm not sure what you mean by "F" fares. Overseas premium cabin saver availability has always been hit or miss, but compared to the cash price, miles are usually worth in the range of 4 cents each when you can redeem them that way. You have to do some work, and be flexible on dates, to use them, but there IS availability and when you find it the miles are really valuable.

I admit that I don't understand the banking business at all and why the opulent signup bonuses and 2% (or more) cashback. Of course if the reward is a loyalty currency that will never be used, then it's a good deal for the bank and the airline, and I'm sure a lot of loyalty currency expires unused.
Clearly you don't pay attention. Hilton Ascend gets 6x at grocery = 2.4% value, one of the better returns across all rewards cards. Spend $15K and get a weekend night cert. Spend $40K and earn Diamond (where you can get outsized value from suite upgrades). Since Hilton is essentially dynamic pricing, you typically save ~50% vs cash rates. Add in perks for Diamond and it's possible to book cheapest room and end up in a suite.

If you have the Bonvoy 3x promo (ie, same earn rate as old SPG), that's also worth about 2.4%. But it's limited to $100K and appears a 1 time deal.

Cashback barely made sense if you were doing at Simon unless you had BoA 2.65% and lacked better options. It is (was for Amex) convenient for min spend and when they ran fee-free offers.

Last edited by farwest101; May 18, 2019 at 12:55 pm
Old May 19, 2019, 11:39 am

Seen a few people using $1,000 VGCs. I inquired with the person using it, and was explained that they bought through Simon and GCM under a business account.

Not seeing anything that corroborates that on this thread whatsoever.

Kind of dumb to lie about it, if they did. Maybe there's something I'm missing?
Old May 19, 2019, 12:01 pm

Simon sells 1K vgc to business accounts but can't be used for MS, or you will be shut down quickly.
Old May 19, 2019, 7:49 pm

While Simon is extremely MS-friendly, they won't give you a business account unless you have a legitimate business and are using the GC's in your business.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by robertw477
Interesting comments by both of you. However for me I can monetize Hyatt points at 2-3 cents. Merely picking the better values. Previously with SPG the same thing, Marriott ould probably make no sense now. I have not really done any MS personally, however I was considering the Marriott card merely for status since I wont stay there much in 2019.
So AMEX killing SM could be a precursor to Chase and others doing the same.
While I think it is totally possible that this could be a precursor of others doing the same, I see no incentive for other card issuers to do so. Amex killed this because they were improperly categorized, and thus costing Amex more than the standard 1x payout. So long as it’s not a bonus category, I see no real reason for the card issuers to clamp down on large purchases of gift cards. They get their fees every time. Win-win.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: All of them
Try it and see how it works. No one here will admit or deny anything because that's just how this forum works. You may not even get accepted for the volume account.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Try it and see how it works. No one here will admit or deny anything because that's just how this forum works. You may not even get accepted for the volume account.
If by "volume account" you are referring to the Simon Malls business account, you will very likely either get denied or shut down quickly.

In contrast with WM and to a lesser extent banks and CC issuers, SM is actually quite well-coordinated, understands the process of MS, and has uniform policies across their locations.

If you apply and get denied or later shut down, it won't adversely affect anyone else here. SM isn't going to suddenly freak out that people are MSing (cue Claude Rains saying "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is taking place") and shut it all down. They probably won't even take adverse action against you personally beyond closing your business account - they'll invite you to keep buying under a personal account.

So knock yourself out, but I don't think there are any reports of people keeping a business account for more than a couple of purchases before having it pulled. Note that you not only need to have a business (lots of people do; I have a business that's been in Dun and Bradstreet for 25 years) but you have to use the GC's in your business.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:15 pm

People on here just say you get shutdown fast with the 1K gift cards, but I have also seen people using them and they are doing just fine.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Travelz
People on here just say you get shutdown fast with the 1K gift cards, but I have also seen people using them and they are doing just fine.
if the biz acct got shutdown, still can go the mall to purch a $500 card, right?
Old May 28, 2019, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
if the biz acct got shutdown, still can go the mall to purch a $500 card, right?
I would think so.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:13 pm

MRs just showed up in the "Pending" section of my Points Summary and also in my Cash Back section for two $5K+ purchases I did at a SM Outlet in my area on 4/26 and 4/29 that were not previously showing. One purchase was with a Business Plat and the other was a Business Simply Cash card. Not sure if I got the buys in just before the SM cut off from Amex or if there was a delay in posting them, but I know they were not there on 5/17 when I checked. Did anyone narrow down an exact date that Amex stopped getting rewards at SM?
Chelski and shipitkthx like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:33 pm
Suspended

No love for me. Happened around 4/10, so hoping for a positive result, now.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
MRs just showed up in the "Pending" section of my Points Summary and also in my Cash Back section for two $5K+ purchases I did at a SM Outlet in my area on 4/26 and 4/29 that were not previously showing. One purchase was with a Business Plat and the other was a Business Simply Cash card. Not sure if I got the buys in just before the SM cut off from Amex or if there was a delay in posting them, but I know they were not there on 5/17 when I checked. Did anyone narrow down an exact date that Amex stopped getting rewards at SM?
there were reports stating around 4/10. There is one statement a year that points don’t show up on AM3x statements. Don’t know if that has anything to do with it. For me it happens around October and think it rotates based on anni datez
Old May 30, 2019, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
When you view the transactions under the "new" layout does it show them earning points?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.