Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Klemhuzzah
Signing up to buy $1000 visa/mc gift cards
You can buy the $1000 cards on Simon's volume site. Their regular site only sells $500 cards.
If you're new, or haven't bought anything in a year, you need to register at https://www.simon.com/volume/register-consumer
As part of the registration process, you will have to go to a brick and mortar mall and buy at least $3000 in cards in person, as well as filling out some paperwork while there. After that, you can do everything online.

As of Nov 2020, Simon Mall Gift cards will only work for $99/swipe for money services at Walmart and many grocery chains.

$1000 gift cards are available indefinitely.

2020 Promotions

Ongoing: FREEGROUND - Free Ground Shipping on any order size. Limited to 5 orders per customer. Expires December 31, 2020 (subject to change).

5/15-6/17: MDHOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 9 more cards
5/15/5/31: MAYGROUND - Free UPS Ground shipping on orders of 7 or more cards
5/15-6/31: MAY20VG10 - 10% off purchase fees on Visa Giftcards
6/29-7/20: JUL4HOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 5 or more cards. If you select a shipping other than Ground - the code will still take 20% off the purchase fees. Limited to 10 orders per customer.
8/11-8/31: AUG20PR - 15% off ALL fees (excl. shipping fees) on orders of 5 or more cards. Limited to 10 orders per customer (Originally expired on 8/23; on 8/24 promo was extended through 8/31)
10/12-10/14: FSOCT20 - 30% off all purchase fees on Visas and Mastercards.
10/26-10/31 - FS20SCARY - 35% off all purchase fees
11/1-11/30 - HOL20MC25 - 25% off all purchase fees on MasterCard / HOL20VG25 - 25% off all purchase fees on Visa / HOL20AG50 50% off all purchase fees on American Express
11/6-11/8 - FS20THANKS - 35% off all purchase fees

11/16-11/18 - FS20SAVINGS - 35% off all purchase fees

Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by jtav559
I got one about a week ago. Have not taken them up on it yet, online VGC purchase is still a better deal for me.

Last time I got a gift package from them, it was a decent grocery tote bag and some cosmetic samples of some mid tier brand. Meh.
Do any portals track for Simon online purchases?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:24 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by rambo
It is an insult to give gifts worth $1 or so for a 15K purchase. I did let the guest services ladies know that. I will call the manager and let her know too.
Seriously !!!
The fact that they are willing to sell you $15k is more than enough to be grateful for. What other retailer allows bulk buying at the scale that Simon does?

You do not have to like the gift, but if you do ask for it - then at least have the manners to say thank you.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by dineshb
Do any portals track for Simon online purchases?
No portals track Simon Mall purchases that I know of.

I was making the point that Simon Mall (brick and mortar) VGC purchases, while convenient, are more expensive in the long run compared to GCM.com purchases (with portal CB @ 1% of card value, excluding fees).

Sometimes if my schedule does not permit the lag time between order and delivery from online merchants, I will utilize a Simon Mall to stock up on VGC. Raises my CPM cost but at least I am still MS'ing at that point.
Travelz likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:39 pm

Interesting article at FM today regarding Simon. If they would only offer a way to liquidate.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by traveltogo
Interesting article at FM today regarding Simon. If they would only offer a way to liquidate.
FM? Link?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by rambo
Dont bother. I got the same letter too. It was some crappy 1 ft usb cable and other trash that they have handed out in the past. It is an insult to give gifts worth $1 or so for a 15K purchase. I did let the guest services ladies know that. I will call the manager and let her know too.

I have been buying at the mall since they opened back in 2013/14.
I didn't get this letter, but when I was there last week, I got a tote with beauty products. I gave it to a female friend who said it was good stuff. I thought the Simon rep said it was for a > $200 purchase but don't remember the cut off.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by danpeake
FM? Link?
https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...lling-to-help/
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
I got a tote with beauty products.
U can use it so we heard lol
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Does anyone know how/why Simon Malls likes selling these gift cards? From a pure profit perspective, how are they making money on this? I've owned several businesses and the lowest swipe fees for accepting a credit card is above 2%. So for example, on a $500 card assuming they pay 2% would $10 for them to process the payment. Yet they charge $3.95 per $500 card. And they know MS'ers aren't spending ANY funds at Simon Malls with the cards. So I'm curious how they are making money with these?

I'm new to MS and appreciate all the great posts on this forum. Thanks all for the great information.

I've been buying cards both at GiftCards.com, GiftCardMall.com and although it's cheap with the cash back portals, it's a pain waiting for the cards in the mall. Takes too much time. Simon really is great as they are very quick and easy. I bought 19 $500 cards and it was so effortless and quick and easy. It takes only about 5 minutes if you go early in the morning when they open.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:40 pm

So Blackhawk Network makes about 9% on the cards. They give about 60% of that back to the retailer (simon mall. cvs. walgreens. etc) So roughly 5% the store makes on the card.

Lets say the average store is paying about 2.5% in processing fees. 5%-2.5% is 2.5% profit. Scaled at the levels that Simon allows people to buy (they recently increased to $25K/day), Simon is making money and lots of it.

If you want to see the financials behind it, BHN had to put out a K-10 report that lays out how much they pay in fees and how much they kick back to the stores.

I can't post the link because not enough posts but here you go without the full link.

www(.)sec(.)gov/Archives/edgar/data/1411488/000141148818000011/hawk-20171230x10k.htm
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Originally Posted by humbled_thoughts
So Blackhawk Network makes about 9% on the cards. They give about 60% of that back to the retailer (simon mall. cvs. walgreens. etc) So roughly 5% the store makes on the card.

Lets say the average store is paying about 2.5% in processing fees. 5%-2.5% is 2.5% profit. Scaled at the levels that Simon allows people to buy (they recently increased to $25K/day), Simon is making money and lots of it.

If you want to see the financials behind it, BHN had to put out a K-10 report that lays out how much they pay in fees and how much they kick back to the stores.

I can't post the link because not enough posts but here you go without the full link.

www(.)sec(.)gov/Archives/edgar/data/1411488/000141148818000011/hawk-20171230x10k.htm
9%??! Wow. It's hard to believe they pay those kinds of commissions out. I guess that is what explains the massive amounts of outlets that sell Giftcards now. Especially grocery stores. I see huge amounts of space devoted to Giftcards in almost every grocery store now. I guess I know why now.

I can understand with many people on normal gift card use they won't use all of the funds or forget about them. But with MS'ers no chance of that. I guess if the numbers are correct what you're posting Simon Malls doesn't care as they are making money. I just couldn't figure out what their big motivation was.

On the topic of Simon, does anyone know how they are able to process it so quickly and they don't have to cut the back of the perforated tab on the back? In any grocery store where I'm buying VGC's it takes them forever to open the back and scan them and always struggle with getting all the paper off to scan it. But Simon doesn't have to remove it at all.

If what you are saying is true, then Blackhawk and Metabank (if they are also paying these types of commissions) must hate MS'ers because I can't imagine how much it cost to make each card and then pay out commissions to vendors, etc. Then have MS drain funds in one fell swoop. All very interesting.

Thanks for the info.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by saint
If what you are saying is true, then Blackhawk and Metabank (if they are also paying these types of commissions) must hate MS'ers because I can't imagine how much it cost to make each card and then pay out commissions to vendors, etc. Then have MS drain funds in one fell swoop. All very interesting.
I think they probably don't mind, because they can charge the MO issuer high fees. (Prepaid debit cards are exempt from the interchange fee cap.)
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by saint
On the topic of Simon, does anyone know how they are able to process it so quickly and they don't have to cut the back of the perforated tab on the back? In any grocery store where I'm buying VGC's it takes them forever to open the back and scan them and always struggle with getting all the paper off to scan it. But Simon doesn't have to remove it at all.
Simon has a magstrip on the bottom that they swipe. Effectively the same thing, but grocery stores just don't have the same thing.
saint likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by yaji
Simon has a magstrip on the bottom that they swipe. Effectively the same thing, but grocery stores just don't have the same thing.
Ah, ok got it. I figured it had to be something like that since it was their own proprietary card. I wish others could adapt to that.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: Herz PC, Gold Starwood, Platinum Holiday Inn
does anyone know wow those purchases category are assigned to those giftcard purchase Like a department store ....
thanks
Juergen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.