Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Klemhuzzah
Signing up to buy $1000 visa/mc gift cards
You can buy the $1000 cards on Simon's volume site. Their regular site only sells $500 cards.
If you're new, or haven't bought anything in a year, you need to register at https://www.simon.com/volume/register-consumer
As part of the registration process, you will have to go to a brick and mortar mall and buy at least $3000 in cards in person, as well as filling out some paperwork while there. After that, you can do everything online.

As of Nov 2020, Simon Mall Gift cards will only work for $99/swipe for money services at Walmart and many grocery chains.

$1000 gift cards are available indefinitely.

2020 Promotions

Ongoing: FREEGROUND - Free Ground Shipping on any order size. Limited to 5 orders per customer. Expires December 31, 2020 (subject to change).

5/15-6/17: MDHOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 9 more cards
5/15/5/31: MAYGROUND - Free UPS Ground shipping on orders of 7 or more cards
5/15-6/31: MAY20VG10 - 10% off purchase fees on Visa Giftcards
6/29-7/20: JUL4HOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 5 or more cards. If you select a shipping other than Ground - the code will still take 20% off the purchase fees. Limited to 10 orders per customer.
8/11-8/31: AUG20PR - 15% off ALL fees (excl. shipping fees) on orders of 5 or more cards. Limited to 10 orders per customer (Originally expired on 8/23; on 8/24 promo was extended through 8/31)
10/12-10/14: FSOCT20 - 30% off all purchase fees on Visas and Mastercards.
10/26-10/31 - FS20SCARY - 35% off all purchase fees
11/1-11/30 - HOL20MC25 - 25% off all purchase fees on MasterCard / HOL20VG25 - 25% off all purchase fees on Visa / HOL20AG50 50% off all purchase fees on American Express
11/6-11/8 - FS20THANKS - 35% off all purchase fees

11/16-11/18 - FS20SAVINGS - 35% off all purchase fees

Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)

Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by Chris58
Personally, I use Quicken to track all aspects of this game, (it's fairly easy for me as I've used the software for 25+ years).

It's not automatic and to use this software effectively there's a learning curve for a new user.

Since you mention an Audit, this is the ONLY concern I have about playing this game, (since I own my own business, that's primarily cash based, and routinely deposit approximately $1 million/year in actual cash to my business account.).

For this reason, I keep a solid paper/plastic trail for every deposit of M.O.'s, (I've NEVER done a WMBP since I've seen too many data points of CC closure due to anonymous payments).

My paper/plastic trail is very simple, (for each deposit of M.O.'s).

For example the receipt from Simon, (and any other GC's included in the deposit), stapled to all the M.O. purchase receipts. All the M.O. tear-off stubs stapled to this. Wrapped around the actual GC's liquidated and the deposit receipt.

Nice and tidy way to show where the deposited funds came from if a future audit suspects un-reported income.
As I understand it, credit card rewards are legally not taxable income. They are treated as a discount to the purchase price of the item purchased. I am pretty sure IRS wanted to tax them, but got the message that this would make Congress very very unhappy. IMO it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to either (a) treat a discount on a financial instrument as different than a discount on a dinner, airline ticket, or box of cereal; or (b) treat MS as a trade or business.

For now though we're on the right side of the line.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
As I understand it, credit card rewards are legally not taxable income. They are treated as a discount to the purchase price of the item purchased. I am pretty sure IRS wanted to tax them, but got the message that this would make Congress very very unhappy. IMO it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to either (a) treat a discount on a financial instrument as different than a discount on a dinner, airline ticket, or box of cereal; or (b) treat MS as a trade or business.

For now though we're on the right side of the line.
True dat. But the reason I keep records is because one day the Feds may come knocking and ask about all the deposits I'm making into my bank, way out of line of my reported income. They may accuse me of being a drug dealer, money launderer, or merely unreported income. With records, I can show what I've been up to. I'd like to believe they have to prove me guilty, but it's nice to be able to prove my innocence just in case.
stacker likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 10:32 am

Y M M V

Last edited by Chelski; Nov 18, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Chelski
Also can be handy when banks return deposits 6+ months later.
Interested in any relevant real-life, first-hand experience on this subject.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:06 am

Simon gift card

I know AmEx is a no go for meeting minimum spend with gift cards, but has anybody had any experience with Chase clawing back signup bonus for buying Visa gift cards? I'm good on my card, but I have a friend that is going to need to meet $4k min spend for the Sapphire Preferred and was wondering if 1-2 of the $1k Simon Gift Card would be safe?
Old Oct 12, 2019, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by History05
I know AmEx is a no go for meeting minimum spend with gift cards, but has anybody had any experience with Chase clawing back signup bonus for buying Visa gift cards? I'm good on my card, but I have a friend that is going to need to meet $4k min spend for the Sapphire Preferred and was wondering if 1-2 of the $1k Simon Gift Card would be safe?
Chase is fine
Old Oct 12, 2019, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
Interested in any relevant real-life, first-hand experience on this subject.
Yes I’ve had money withdrawn by the bank many months after a deposit.. everything can be reconciled but it takes time and the better records is quite helpful
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:19 am

Yes I’ve had money withdrawn by the bank many months after a deposit.. everything can be reconciled but it takes time and the better records is quite helpful
More information would be helpful. What was reason/basis for bank adjusting your account? Who initiated? MO issuer, bank internal, etc? Just saying that "it happened" is not very useful, without context.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
More information would be helpful. What was reason/basis for bank adjusting your account? Who initiated? MO issuer, bank internal, etc? Just saying that "it happened" is not very useful, without context.
The simple thing

Last edited by satman40; Oct 13, 2019 at 8:41 am
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:40 am

The simple thing todo is open another bank account, and deposit the money orders in that account,,

Chase takes pictures of every check deposited,,

I have rentals we deposit 25. plus Money orders a month, we also have direct deposit, and cash.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:29 pm

As cool as it would be for simon mall to extend the 1k gift cards, my liquidation options which used to be plentiful are literally drying up this week. With all the walmart issues now and my grocery store chain cracking down, I will have to stop MS for cashback/status and minimize it to just finishing off MSR. Shame
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by amtamimi
As cool as it would be for simon mall to extend the 1k gift cards, my liquidation options which used to be plentiful are literally drying up this week. With all the walmart issues now and my grocery store chain cracking down, I will have to stop MS for cashback/status and minimize it to just finishing off MSR. Shame
Where are you located?

You don’t have to be specific to a city but a region would add DPs to our discussion.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
Where are you located?

You don’t have to be specific to a city but a region would add DPs to our discussion.
I’m in the Raleigh, NC area.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:29 pm

Y M M V

Last edited by Chelski; Nov 18, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:23 am

Has nothing to do with suspicions.. have deposited 7 figures in a single account.. this is all completely OT for this thread. Simple thing is one account.
The post was a suggestion, to prevent records of excess MO deposits on a bank statement,

I have more than on account, for checking, savings, broker accounts, and more than 1 credit card account,.

I like diversification, never put all your eggs in one basket, old saying, good enough for this 80 year old man..

Last edited by satman40; Oct 14, 2019 at 8:30 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.