Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: danpeake
As of Nov 11, 2020, Meta gebits are getting declined when used for MO/BP purchases at MC/SD. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. READ the posts below and add a data point with details. USB and GD gift cards do not seem to be affected.

This is the thread for 2019. The previous discussion can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...rt-2018-a.html

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.

Note: The policy for allowing gift cards as payment for money orders can be more restrictive with certain stores or certain clerks. Just because an employee says there's a new restrictive policy "for all Walmarts" means nothing. There are plenty of cases where the employee is incorrect and the new policy is only regional or store specific.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit (gift debit) cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. See above on Visas issued by MetaBank. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. Follow the posts below for the latest information.
3. MC issued by US bank OR Metabank MC (Giftcards.com) can work, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
4. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.(VGC issued by Sunrise also limited to $99/swipe, same as Metabank issued cards, and Sunrise was available immediately).
5. USB work
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually $1 each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for $1 x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transactions: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money. Kates are a distant and pleasant memory now.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

7. SSN/ID entry - Any MO purchases in one transaction at or over $3K requires you to input your SSN. Any MO at or over $1K requires ID input (and ID requirement can also be forced by cashier at any amount).

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080

​​​​​

Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by carlitos
Just left Wally with a MO for $998.00 and used two Krogy VGCs for $500 each via split payment. No problem at all doing it. They both drained with the last four digits from each card (new pin for them) versus the piece of paper that used to be attached. So business as usual ...
Certain WMs, especially in fly-over country are still not affected by the WM shenanigans.

However, I would not bet the proverbial bank that your success will continue for very long, but if it does, that is great for you.
RedSun likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 4:23 pm

All the data points are great but maybe we need some common questions to copy and paste to add details. We can edit as needed. It is hard to remember everything. Here is a sample.

Card Values: 500 200 1K
Type Bnk: MB USBnk GD
Type: VGC MCGC
Purchased: OM KG WM SM STP
Loading or MO: GB BB MO
Swipes tried: 3 at 99, 2 at 200
Where in WM: MCntr SDsk RegLane
Did you test the full value to see if things are fixed? Y or N (If it worked for meta, post as breaking news)

Summary: Tried for a 200 MO but left with nothing.....
Old Dec 3, 2020, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by carlitos
Just left Wally with a MO for $998.00 and used two Krogy VGCs for $500 each via split payment. No problem at all doing it. They both drained with the last four digits from each card (new pin for them) versus the piece of paper that used to be attached. So business as usual ...
BAU for US Bank version that is not yet affected
Old Dec 3, 2020, 7:09 pm

My WM MC just got infected Was BAU till 12/1/20 and today only $99 swipes will go through. However, regular registers and CS all work fine.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 5:05 am

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM) | Hertz President's Circle
December DP

(Posted this in the 'Simon Mall Gift Cards' thread but seems it should have went here as well...)

Hello all. I'm not new to the MS game but new to posting (been lurking for years, however).

This latest limitation is really a big blow.

On December 2 I went out to visit two WMs (that I know the CSRs at the CS desk very, very well) to gather some DPs. I brought (4) META $500 VGCs and (8) USB $500 VGCs for the test mission.

It does appear that 'multiple swipes after initial decline' is still working for META VGCs at WM. One META went through on first swipe at $500 and the rest all declined. After multiple swipes (some twice, some up to 4 times), they all went through except one. Oddly, the one that didn't go through was given decline code 56 vs. the 51 I've seen on most of the declines (my WM-specific decline code list shows code 56 as 'not a valid card number' — odd decline reason...) The pin pad was Ingenico.

(4) $500 USB VGCs went through on first swipe. Off to the second WM...

Second WM (CS) was a training center and had the updated pin pads (not sure of the brand but not Ingenico — card swipes flat and unfortunately, face up). Same META VGC that declined at the first WM (CS) also declined here — decline code 56 again.

Now the scary part...

I had (2) USB VGCs decline with code 51 and (2) worked. Luckily I knew the CSR as five total swipes for a $1K MO is excessive and obviously suspicious. The CSR said that she had been having 'quirky' problems with DC MO sales all day so hopefully that's all it was but it's very scary to see USB VGCs start having similar declines as the META VGCs...

I'll be back out later today and will report back any interesting/useful info...

-b.
soy and cuthroat like this.

Last edited by Carrisco; Dec 4, 2020 at 6:07 am
Old Dec 4, 2020, 5:32 am

I ventured out last night to pick up a prescription at WM, so attempted $200 swipes using the $200 Staples Meta Mastercards that worked perfectly fine on Monday. The first one worked after the third swipe, the second one did not work after three swipes, so I switched to a different card. It did not work after three swipes, so I asked the associate to cancel the order, and liquidated via $99 swipes without any issues. COVID positivity rates are over 20% in my neck of the woods, so I'll just live vicariously through all of you until I need to venture to the grocery store later next week.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by msiamsia
We spoke with the live agent and was told to our surprise that our attempt to change PIN over the phone actually never went thru, of course, it will not work. We were trying to drain with a wrong PIN all that time. PIN is locked now for one hour, so we’ll try later this evening. Funds all intact.
Success! But with the supposed New PIN. Yesterday, upon purchase, changed PIN from default, say “abcd” to new 4digits “xywz”. Then the USB rep said PIN never got changed. So, I gave it a try with default “abcd” this morning and got “incorrect PIN” error. Quickly thought of “xywz” and entered that, worked.
what is this!!!! Anyway, almost panic attacked.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by msiamsia
Success! But with the supposed New PIN. Yesterday, upon purchase, changed PIN from default, say “abcd” to new 4digits “xywz”. Then the USB rep said PIN never got changed. So, I gave it a try with default “abcd” this morning and got “incorrect PIN” error. Quickly thought of “xywz” and entered that, worked.
what is this!!!! Anyway, almost panic attacked.
I don't think thieves need a PIN to drain a card. So changing PIN has little value. I always stick with the PIN from the package.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by michael_v
I don't think thieves need a PIN to drain a card. So changing PIN has little value. I always stick with the PIN from the package.
Agreed on that - they can run them as credit and drain them. I do, however, change the PIN and always go in with cards with the same pin, especially now. Given how frequently cards fail, I don't want to draw attention when I switch cards and need to come up with a new pin. The cards in my pocket for that run all have the same pin.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Happy Traveling Consultant
Agreed on that - they can run them as credit and drain them. I do, however, change the PIN and always go in with cards with the same pin, especially now. Given how frequently cards fail, I don't want to draw attention when I switch cards and need to come up with a new pin. The cards in my pocket for that run all have the same pin.
Seems I was lucky to be able to buy MO. And, My thinking exactly, have same PIN number across all the cards. Never encountered this type of problem with SMGC, but USB is not. I might need to stick with default PIN now. In any event, USB worked this morning.

Last edited by msiamsia; Dec 4, 2020 at 10:19 am
Old Dec 4, 2020, 3:04 pm

Changing PIN on meta cards has been a real pain lately. So if anything good came with this change, it's not having to listen to that nasal voice with attitude (aka the metabank robot) for 2.5 min/card.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, UA Gold, HH Lifetime DIA, WoH Globalist
PHX area WM DP - Purchased a $395 MO with two MB $200 VGCs @ $99/swipe. Both cards required two initial swipes of each card before being "accepted" (card one swipe, error, try again, accepted, second swipe accepted; card two swipe, error, try again, accepted, second swipe accepted). Remaining balances of $2.00 and $2.12 loaded to Amazon. Quite a bit of effort to liquidate two $200 VCGs.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 8:42 pm

I was originally able to load BB with Meta $500 VGC's and then it went to $200 and now they don't work at all. So bought a few groceries and just tried to get $40 at WM check out and it failed. I reran it no cash just paying for groceries it asked for my pin again and that went through no issues. So I decided to try Hy-Vee and the same exact thing happened. I'm questioning if Meta Bank isn't the issue I interviewed with them about 4 years ago and they are under a lot of scrutiny for potential fraud issues on their products. This could be Meta Bank closing some of the wholes.

I'm going to try a few more places to see if the same thing happens.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 5:36 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by SUBMS
I was originally able to load BB with Meta $500 VGC's and then it went to $200 and now they don't work at all. So bought a few groceries and just tried to get $40 at WM check out and it failed. I reran it no cash just paying for groceries it asked for my pin again and that went through no issues. So I decided to try Hy-Vee and the same exact thing happened. I'm questioning if Meta Bank isn't the issue I interviewed with them about 4 years ago and they are under a lot of scrutiny for potential fraud issues on their products. This could be Meta Bank closing some of the wholes.

I'm going to try a few more places to see if the same thing happens.
(My bolding)
Gift cards do not permit withdrawal of cash. That is printed prominently on the back of the card. So if you tried to replicate your WM experience of attempting to wring cash from the card at the grocer, you failed because the card does not permit that behavior
danpeake and cuthroat like this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
(My bolding)
Gift cards do not permit withdrawal of cash. That is printed prominently on the back of the card. So if you tried to replicate your WM experience of attempting to wring cash from the card at the grocer, you failed because the card does not permit that behavior
Gosh, if you only could buy a pack of gum and get cash back! Gotta dream big!
gm9928 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.