Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: danpeake
As of Nov 11, 2020, Meta gebits are getting declined when used for MO/BP purchases at MC/SD. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. READ the posts below and add a data point with details. USB and GD gift cards do not seem to be affected.

This is the thread for 2019. The previous discussion can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...rt-2018-a.html

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.

Note: The policy for allowing gift cards as payment for money orders can be more restrictive with certain stores or certain clerks. Just because an employee says there's a new restrictive policy "for all Walmarts" means nothing. There are plenty of cases where the employee is incorrect and the new policy is only regional or store specific.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit (gift debit) cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. See above on Visas issued by MetaBank. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. Follow the posts below for the latest information.
3. MC issued by US bank OR Metabank MC (Giftcards.com) can work, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
4. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.(VGC issued by Sunrise also limited to $99/swipe, same as Metabank issued cards, and Sunrise was available immediately).
5. USB work
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually $1 each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for $1 x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transactions: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money. Kates are a distant and pleasant memory now.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

7. SSN/ID entry - Any MO purchases in one transaction at or over $3K requires you to input your SSN. Any MO at or over $1K requires ID input (and ID requirement can also be forced by cashier at any amount).

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080

​​​​​

Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
MG makes their money on the float -- the time between when an MO is purchased and when its deposited. From a business standpoint, I'd think they'd be looking at MO purchasers who's checks have an unprofitably short float. But given that most M$'ers are probably depositing their MO's withing a day or two or purchase, MG has likely made the decision that anyone buying multiple ~$1000 MO's is probably "one of them" and views us all as bad business.

That said, I hold my MO's for 4-5 days. The float doesn't cost me anything, and I figure I'm doing my small part to keep the golden goose happy
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by craz
Has nothing about being banned, many Wallys where I live will not allow more then 1 card to be used, no matter how many MOs you want. Mention using more then 1 card and bingo they want to see what youre using to pay with = having to leave the store w/o even 1 MO. Id rather get 1 then none and since I go where they are bunched up imo it very well pays to do 1 per store and hit several stores

you think its a waste dont do it, I have no problems with that. As for me I have no plans to change and dont mind putting in the extra time as it means paying $75 for a $300+ hotel room, that I frequent several times a year
How about using personalized VGC's with your name on them? Now, I've developed a group of friendly CSR's who know me, and I don't have any issues. But when I first started and I'd get questioned regularly, I used personalized VGC's with landscape images that looked like they could be a bank debit card. I'd use a small sticker to cover the "Gift" logo, with notes like "Utils" and "House", like I was using the labels to keep track of which bank account the cards were for. That satisfied even the most suspicious CSR's
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by nmp0
Arizona limits money orders to $950 but it's not always enforced in my experience. I had some success at $999 early on here but as I branched out I hit $950 more often. I've been doing $499 x 2 with Simons lately but may load $951 per card starting next trip to avoid the second fee and to fill out half as many money orders.

<snip>.
Do you know the statute on that? The $1000 limit on MO's is a matter of UCC and banking standards; it seems odd that AZ would enact it's own slightly lower limit. If it it's AZ State law, I'd expect that all the MO machines in the State would be coded to enforce it. Now, $950 is the limit for check fraud to be treated as a misdemeanor, with checks > $950 being treated as a felony. I wonder if that's being conflated with an MO "limit".
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by jeffeverde
Do you know the statute on that? The $1000 limit on MO's is a matter of UCC and banking standards; it seems odd that AZ would enact it's own slightly lower limit. If it it's AZ State law, I'd expect that all the MO machines in the State would be coded to enforce it. Now, $950 is the limit for check fraud to be treated as a misdemeanor, with checks > $950 being treated as a felony. I wonder if that's being conflated with an MO "limit".
This MG compliance document infers that it's a MG restriction: "MoneyGram limits single-issue money order purchases made in Arizona to no more than $950. In other words, a customer may not purchase a single-issue money order with a face value greater than $950."

http://corporate.moneygram.com/Docum...ed%20HIREZ.pdf
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:45 am

I found that document before posting to confirm it wasn't just cashiers making things up. I was able to do $1000 a couple times at Walmart when I got out here but hit the $950 limit when I branched out. Honestly, it doesn't matter to me if it's Moneygram policy or Arizona law. I'm leaving soon anyway so I'm sure I'll find interesting things in other states.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 3:23 pm

FYI for those in SoCal (and maybe elsewhere, though hopefully not): on January 16 or 17, I was unloading some Simon $1000 VGCs across the area, one per store since a lot of them don't allow VGCs, when I was rejected at the 3250 Big Dalton Ave. store in Baldwin Park. After swiping, I was told by the CSR that the register showed that I was using a giftcard and they didn't allow the purchase of MOs with giftcards. This is the first time I encountered what is apparently hard-coding in their system! I was also told at a nearby store that they no longer allow "manufactured spending" (the CSR used the term) and one now charges $1.00 rather than $.88, but I didn't note which stores. Moral of the story: SoCal is tough for MS'ers and apparently getting tougher. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by strummerjones; Jan 22, 2020 at 3:28 pm Reason: Adding some detail
Old Jan 22, 2020, 3:38 pm

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined
Originally Posted by strummerjones
... After swiping, I was told by the CSR that the register showed that I was using a giftcard and they didn't allow the purchase of MOs with giftcards.
Hard coding refers to register programming. If that had happened, the rep would've said nothing, and would not know the explanation.
In your case, local reps were instructed to manually reject your payment method. It's been true for some time, that SM VGC's are identified as such on WM payment terminals. When I used SM cards (more than a few months ago), there were some supercenters in my area that rejected them as well.
cuthroat and moflyer2k like this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by strummerjones
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefinedhttps://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefinedhttps://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefinedFYI for those in SoCal (and maybe elsewhere, though hopefully not): on January 16 or 17, I was unloading some Simon $1000 VGCs across the area, one per store since a lot of them don't allow VGCs, when I was rejected at the 3250 Big Dalton Ave. store in Baldwin Park. After swiping, I was told by the CSR that the register showed that I was using a giftcard and they didn't allow the purchase of MOs with giftcards. This is the first time I encountered what is apparently hard-coding in their system! I was also told at a nearby store that they no longer allow "manufactured spending" (the CSR used the term) and one now charges $1.00 rather than $.88, but I didn't note which stores. Moral of the story: SoCal is tough for MS'ers and apparently getting tougher. Best of luck to you.https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined
Nothing can be done, it all depends if the csr knows what to look for, I take it your csr saw "Credit changed to Debit" just look at any of your receipts it will have that printed on them.( For those who know where it wont say that please dont post that info in public) thats the tell that you used a Gebit and not a Bank Debit, of cause if they see you swiped the card rather then input it that also is a tell that your card doesnt have a chip and nowadays most bank cards do have a chip and taht you prbably used a Gebit

Basically nothing at all new in what you posted its been that way for a long time now

and BP has been a hit or miss more miss for a long time now, if its the store Im thinking of,Ive taken it off my route awhile back
Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:43 pm
ogg

Nothing can be done, it all depends if the csr knows what to look for, I take it your csr saw "Credit changed to Debit" just look at any of your receipts it will have that printed on them.( For those who know where it wont say that please dont post that info in public) thats the tell that you used a Gebit and not a Bank Debit, of cause if they see you swiped the card rather then input it that also is a tell that your card doesnt have a chip and nowadays most bank cards do have a chip and taht you prbably used a Gebit

Basically nothing at all new in what you posted its been that way for a long time now

and BP has been a hit or miss more miss for a long time now, if its the store Im thinking of,Ive taken it off my route awhile back
Nope. Credit changed to debit means that the CSR submitted the transaction before you submitted your PIN number. If the CSR hits the submit button AFTER you submit your PIN number, that phrase doesn't appear. It has nothing whatever to do with the cards used. It happens with any debit card, and it can happen for some cards in a transaction and not others, even if you use all gebits. All you have to do to verify what I'm saying is to check your receipts.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ogg
Nope. Credit changed to debit means that the CSR submitted the transaction before you submitted your PIN number. If the CSR hits the submit button AFTER you submit your PIN number, that phrase doesn't appear. It has nothing whatever to do with the cards used. It happens with any debit card, and it can happen for some cards in a transaction and not others, even if you use all gebits. All you have to do to verify what I'm saying is to check your receipts.
If so that would mean the 1000s of MOs Ive purchased over the yrs that all the csrs hit the submitt button before I inputted my PIN, possible but not probable. I cant recall 1 time when the screen did say C to D or the receipt didnt have that printed on it, when ever I got the MO at a Wally, with 1 exception and every time I got 1 under that exception rule it didnt say D to C on teh screen or my receipt, and it had nothing to do with the csr submitting before or after I inputted the PIN
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:29 pm
ogg

Rethinking, I realize that CREDIT CONVERTED TO DEBIT is a screen message which doesn't appear on receipts. My mistake--sorry. Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure my explanation of what causes the message is correct. If you have receipts showing that message printed, please post one. Since you say all your receipts have that printed on it, that should be easy. And if what you say is the correct explanation, then that message should be printed for each of the cards used in the transaction. Should be easy for you to show I'm wrong.

The obvious meaning of the message is that a card was processed as a credit card at first, then changed to be processed as a debit card when it was rejected for purchasing a money order or doing a billpay, since credit cards aren't accepted for those transactions.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ogg
Rethinking, I realize that CREDIT CONVERTED TO DEBIT is a screen message which doesn't appear on receipts. My mistake--sorry. Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure my explanation of what causes the message is correct. If you have receipts showing that message printed, please post one. Since you say all your receipts have that printed on it, that should be easy. And if what you say is the correct explanation, then that message should be printed for each of the cards used in the transaction. Should be easy for you to show I'm wrong.

The obvious meaning of the message is that a card was processed as a credit card at first, then changed to be processed as a debit card when it was rejected for purchasing a money order or doing a billpay, since credit cards aren't accepted for those transactions.
Next time I go I will hopefully remember not to throw away the receipt on my way out, I dont keep any of the receipts. But I do recall seeing it on my receipts I believe. Since I use different issuers I will also hopefully retain a receipt from each. Or report back that you are correct and it wasnt on the receipt although it showed up on the screen.

In the past when a csr saw that message on their screen either they asked for my card, asked another csr whats up, or couldnt care at all , some said no CC are allowed and I said but I just inputted my PIN and they looked and said Yep its OK you are correct you used a DC. But to many csrs its a tell that you arent using a Bank DC and they go into their war dance. Its a YMMV issue how the csr will react
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:39 am
Suspended

Next time I go I will hopefully remember not to throw away the receipt on my way out, I dont keep any of the receipts. But I do recall seeing it on my receipts I believe. Since I use different issuers I will also hopefully retain a receipt from each. Or report back that you are correct and it wasnt on the receipt although it showed up on the screen.

In the past when a csr saw that message on their screen either they asked for my card, asked another csr whats up, or couldnt care at all , some said no CC are allowed and I said but I just inputted my PIN and they looked and said Yep its OK you are correct you used a DC. But to many csrs its a tell that you arent using a Bank DC and they go into their war dance. Its a YMMV issue how the csr will react
I scan all of my receipts. Nothing says credit converted to debit on the receipt - it's a register message. Ogg is correct. When doing single swipes (ie Gobank load of a 500) the message doesn't show. When doing Mastercards (and the CSR has to wait until you change payment before entering amount) it usually doesn't show - unless they are fast and you are slow during PIN entry.
Essentially - credit converted to debit is a result of doing split payment - has nothing to do with it being a gift card.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by beast7276
I scan all of my receipts. Nothing says credit converted to debit on the receipt - it's a register message. Ogg is correct. When doing single swipes (ie Gobank load of a 500) the message doesn't show. When doing Mastercards (and the CSR has to wait until you change payment before entering amount) it usually doesn't show - unless they are fast and you are slow during PIN entry.
Essentially - credit converted to debit is a result of doing split payment - has nothing to do with it being a gift card.

I havent MCed at Wally in a very long time! I only V it from 2 sources and no matter the issuer of my V the screen says C 2 D. There is no changing of payment that I need to do! On top of all that Im using only 1 V per visit so no split payments either. Also I only get MOs, 1 per visit using 1 card
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:50 pm
ogg

Look, it's a glitch in processing--just like that occasional glitch you see when a gebit runs as a credit card for billpay or MO and actually gets approved, so a small slip spits out that you have to sign because it was a charge, not a debit. It can happen with a single card and not split payments also, although you're more likely to see it with split payments since there are more cards used in a transaction than one, increasingly the likelihood of this problem occurring.

It's been meaningless for my transactions. The CSRs have never said anything about it when it happens; I don't think the ones I've worked with ever noticed it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.