Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: danpeake
As of Nov 11, 2020, Meta gebits are getting declined when used for MO/BP purchases at MC/SD. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. READ the posts below and add a data point with details. USB and GD gift cards do not seem to be affected.

This is the thread for 2019. The previous discussion can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...rt-2018-a.html

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.

Note: The policy for allowing gift cards as payment for money orders can be more restrictive with certain stores or certain clerks. Just because an employee says there's a new restrictive policy "for all Walmarts" means nothing. There are plenty of cases where the employee is incorrect and the new policy is only regional or store specific.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit (gift debit) cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. See above on Visas issued by MetaBank. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. Follow the posts below for the latest information.
3. MC issued by US bank OR Metabank MC (Giftcards.com) can work, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
4. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.(VGC issued by Sunrise also limited to $99/swipe, same as Metabank issued cards, and Sunrise was available immediately).
5. USB work
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually $1 each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for $1 x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transactions: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money. Kates are a distant and pleasant memory now.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

7. SSN/ID entry - Any MO purchases in one transaction at or over $3K requires you to input your SSN. Any MO at or over $1K requires ID input (and ID requirement can also be forced by cashier at any amount).

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080

​​​​​

Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by beast7276

it really is a joy to read the things people say in here. “Her MG backend” .... rich.
it cracked me up too, but she new exactly after the first error receipt printed out that I was using a VGC. No issue at the other Wally. Maybe there is some software rollout happening similar to what happened last year with the signature receipts etc?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by doggiefizzle

it cracked me up too, but she new exactly after the first error receipt printed out that I was using a VGC. No issue at the other Wally. Maybe there is some software rollout happening similar to what happened last year with the signature receipts etc?
Also, I would like to add this is NOT a “sky is falling” post; it almost hurt my feelings that the CSR wouldn’t sell me a MO since it’s only happened to me once prior in the 2 years of major MO activity on my part since Redbird dried up.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by doggiefizzle

yep, I’m sure there is. That MoneyGram backend. Cuz WM lets all their vendors into their POS.

Last edited by beast7276; Apr 19, 2019 at 11:02 pm
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Shawnee
Anyone saw a message on CSR screen that says something like "Tell the customer politely that the money orders can not be processed. Do not discuss details"? after entering the DL?
Looks like I got shut down by MG.
Not sure if it is a permanent or if there is a way to get back in.
Buying MOs $2k to $8K per day , 3-5 times a week for the last 4-5 months at 4-6 different walmarts altogether giving my DL.
Kind of a random post, especially when no others are sharing such a DP.

Any feedback? Was it a glitch that worked itself out, are you certainly shut down, or something in between?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:09 pm

That's just the standard response when he exceeded the $8K/day limit.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:33 pm

Ugh, my local WM money center said that they aren't allowed to do split transactions anymore. They said they "don't want to get sued". I can't even load BB now because they don't allow split for that either.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:35 pm

It is a shutdown. I tried twice after giving it few days and get the same message. My spouse gets the same message too.Sometimes we go buy money orders together back to back providing respective individual's ID and we both combined exceeded $8k few times but not a lot.
Our combined MO volume per month is about $50K a month. SO I know this is very small about compared to many other MSers.
I gave my ID to WM for MO only 2-3 times in the last 2 years prior to the ID requirement implemented at the end of 2018.
Looks like my MS era is over now.
I will have to call MoneyGram and find out if they can provide any additional information.
Few data points.
1. About 2 months ago, a store CSR said a couple is considered as single person and can not sell money order to second one. She said that she will have to link the accounts. Not sure if there is a feature or if she just threatened us. At that point only one of us bought a MO and they don't have second person's info except if she looked up by address or last name.
2. About 2 months ago, I lost my DL and few times, I used my passport as ID while I wait for my DL and used same address. Once I got my replacement DL, I started using DL. The replacement DL number did not change.
3. Once I got my DL, just to test, I tried to buy my $2k before 24 hours up with PP purchase and they system said limit exceeded message. So the limit is not ID specific but name/address combo.
4. 2-3 times, as I do not accurately keep track of the 24 hours gap, unintentionally I tried to buy the 5th set of $2k within 24 hours and the limit exceeded message.
5. One of my small bank bill pay account refunded my payments after 3 months and recently, I went back to WM to get that money back. I am still working through that. But I believe checkfree bill pay and moneygram money orders are completely different. I was actually able to make another bill pay on Saturday. So looks like my walmart app for billpay is still good.

Based on no responses to my original post, I assume this kind of shutdown is very rare. Google did not return any incidents either.
Not sure if the shutdown is by WM or MG.
Anyone has any advice directly here or via PM?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA
5. One of my small bank bill pay account refunded my payments after 3 months and recently, I went back to WM to get that money back. I am still working through that. But I believe checkfree bill pay and moneygram money orders are completely different.
What do you mean by this?

I would suggest trying a different Walmart on different days. Some Walmarts and CSRs make up their own rules day by day.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by worldtravels

I would suggest trying a different Walmart on different days. Some Walmarts and CSRs make up their own rules day by day.
I would agree with this. You need to go to a remote (out of state??) WM and simply try to buy a single one swipe does all MO. I would be surprised that you are in the national (international?) database of banned WM users for MOs.In fact, without some certified way of identifying you, such as a DL# being used in each transaction, there is no way that any WM would know who you are. (I, for one, do small MOs so I have never used any ID for buying a MO )

That being said, we all know that WM will ban people from returning items if they have been abusing the return privilege. But, again, I do not know if that is a local, regional, state or national ban.
It would be helpful to know what your outcome is so please post it. It would be worrisome in so many ways beyond just a MO ban if such a system exists and is in use
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:55 am

Anyone saw a message on CSR screen that says something like "Tell the customer politely that the money orders can not be processed. Do not discuss details"? after entering the DL?
Looks like I got shut down by MG.
Not sure if it is a permanent or if there is a way to get back in.
Buying MOs $2k to $8K per day , 3-5 times a week for the last 4-5 months at 4-6 different walmarts altogether giving my DL.
i got the same message today. i was only doing 2k a day, 3x a week for the past 1-2 months tops. no clue what triggered it, especially since my volume was relatively light. i never did more than 2k in a day.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:05 am

I can still get one MO for $999.32 in the same regular Walmart’s without any problem as there is no ID requirement.
i tried for $1500 MO (just not to make obvious) in two completely different stores that I never visited and as soon as they enter my ID info, they get the message. The CSRs even showed me the screen even if they were not supposed to show.
At that point the CSRs do not even know that I am an MSer and will use split payments since we never come to payment part.
as far as returning stuff, I hate returns and would rather throw away than stand in line. I probably returned 10 items in 40 years in any store and probably no returns in last 2 years. So that’s not an issue for sure.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:10 am
Suspended

How did you deposit your MOs? Multiple banks? More than 10k at a time?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by beast7276
How did you deposit your MOs? Multiple banks? More than 10k at a time?
i deposit them into one bank (WF) and 2k a day or at most 4k a day.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:20 am

I got the same as a few people posted above. I last bought yesterday morning 2k/4 swipes.

This morning after the regular cashier put my ID in she got really awkward and starting babbling about "international stuff" and "money laundering" and said she couldn't. I went to another WM and bought 1 $999.12 with no issues.

Seems like this is definitely a ban for over $1000 at a time.
lumangoy likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:30 am

It would be interesting to see if this is truly people being banned, or a Moneygram glitch. I wonder if individuals who may have only done a couple of $2K/4 swipes are also running into the issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.