Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: danpeake
As of Nov 11, 2020, Meta gebits are getting declined when used for MO/BP purchases at MC/SD. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. READ the posts below and add a data point with details. USB and GD gift cards do not seem to be affected.

This is the thread for 2019. The previous discussion can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...rt-2018-a.html

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.

Note: The policy for allowing gift cards as payment for money orders can be more restrictive with certain stores or certain clerks. Just because an employee says there's a new restrictive policy "for all Walmarts" means nothing. There are plenty of cases where the employee is incorrect and the new policy is only regional or store specific.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit (gift debit) cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. See above on Visas issued by MetaBank. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. Follow the posts below for the latest information.
3. MC issued by US bank OR Metabank MC (Giftcards.com) can work, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
4. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.(VGC issued by Sunrise also limited to $99/swipe, same as Metabank issued cards, and Sunrise was available immediately).
5. USB work
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually $1 each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for $1 x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transactions: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money. Kates are a distant and pleasant memory now.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

7. SSN/ID entry - Any MO purchases in one transaction at or over $3K requires you to input your SSN. Any MO at or over $1K requires ID input (and ID requirement can also be forced by cashier at any amount).

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080

​​​​​

Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Melanion90
What was the amount charged to the last card? If it was under $50 then that explains it.
the amount was $500 (full value of the card)....I paid $1.76 cash and used $500 from each card...that's what baffled me - that the last card went as a credit card with no pin prompt yet all $500 from the card went through...
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:47 am

The last MS friendly Walmart near me died yesterday. The friendly CSR told me that MG had audited them and told them they could no longer do split payments for MOs because that was structuring.

So it's either roll along $500 at a time or drive a good distance and see what some other stores are allowing. Not sure it's worth the effort at that point.........
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:25 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by in4tar
A strange thing happened to me today when I was purchasing 2 x $1000 MO at my local WM...I was using VGC from GiftCarMall - 3 of them went down as usual as debit (where I had to enter pin #), but the last apparently went through as credit card (no pin was required)...the MOs printed normally as usual, but receipt indicated 4 cards being used - 3 "debit" and 1 "Visa"...I think I was more worried than my cashier - I didn't want their register to be short, but the cashier said "no, it all went through fine, the machine accepted it as credit card", and when I later checked the balance - it was 0...so it definitely went through...did it auto drain itself?...or maybe the cashier hit some button that made it do that?....has anyone had anything similar??
Cashier may have pushed "credit" instead of "debit". With credit, PIN is not required. BUT, "credit" should have been rejected when used in buying MO. Once I used a Vanilla (by mistake) VGC to buy MO and it was rejected due to the "credit".
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:42 pm

This obviously an opinion, but to me, if you are staying under $1000 to avoid reporting requirements, you are structuring. I ALWAYS do more than a $1000 for that reason; I want them to see I am making no attempt to hide my legal activity. And you don't think most CSMs etc don't know what is going on, you are all fooling yourself.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
This obviously an opinion, but to me, if you are staying under $1000 to avoid reporting requirements, you are structuring. I ALWAYS do more than a $1000 for that reason; I want them to see I am making no attempt to hide my legal activity. And you don't think most CSMs etc don't know what is going on, you are all fooling yourself.
Do what you want to do, but hopefully you understand that the WM/MG $1k POLICY is entirely different from any LEGAL requirement for transaction reporting. Moreover, "structuring" is a LEGAL concept, describing an activity intended to circumvent LEGAL reporting requirements. Because the purchase of an MO in exchange for GCs (as opposed to currency, checks, etc.) is not subject to any LEGAL reporting requirement, there's nothing to circumvent.

I know no one wants yet another BSA/CTR/SAR/AML thread, but people that casually throw out those terms should better understand the subject matter ...
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
I just got back from WM, they made an small software change, the CS doesn't have to enter the last 4 digit of the MO on the screen anymore.
jtav559 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
Do what you want to do, but hopefully you understand that the WM/MG $1k POLICY is entirely different from any LEGAL requirement for transaction reporting. Moreover, "structuring" is a LEGAL concept, describing an activity intended to circumvent LEGAL reporting requirements. Because the purchase of an MO in exchange for GCs (as opposed to currency, checks, etc.) is not subject to any LEGAL reporting requirement, there's nothing to circumvent.

I know no one wants yet another BSA/CTR/SAR/AML thread, but people that casually throw out those terms should better understand the subject matter ...
So what am I missing? To me Walmart is collecting this information to make sure they can report accurately to the feds people who buy a lot of money orders which is a legal requirement. Thus if you take action to circumvent by a Walmart you could be structuring. I've been filling out the paperwork in doing everything to not fly under the radar for more years than most people have been doing this.... Not to mention it's a lot easier to do $2000 per transaction....
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:08 am

Seems to be hit or miss in Socal Wally's. Just depends on the rep
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by fedechat
I just got back from WM, they made an small software change, the CS doesn't have to enter the last 4 digit of the MO on the screen anymore.
Oh I hope this update comes to one of my WM's ASAP. The ladies working the night shift always enter the last 4 wrong which locks it up for me the next morning.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
So what am I missing? To me Walmart is collecting this information to make sure they can report accurately to the feds people who buy a lot of money orders which is a legal requirement. Thus if you take action to circumvent by a Walmart you could be structuring. I've been filling out the paperwork in doing everything to not fly under the radar for more years than most people have been doing this.... Not to mention it's a lot easier to do $2000 per transaction....
You're missing a lot. WM collects the information as a matter of their own policy. They're NOT filing Forms 8300, FinCen SARs, etc. with the government for every GC (vs currency) transaction for which they're collecting information, because such filing are not legally required. If WM actually did so, they'd likely get pushback from the government for filing millions of non-required, extraneous forms.

Like I said, you're free to continue your current practice, but there's absolutely no risk of "structuring," in the way you're thinking about it.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:07 pm

I just went to few my Walmart’s in my area and every one would not let me use the cards, had simons.
the one I use on a regular the guy knows me.
And a manger just happened to be walking by and stoped it after the cards went though and would not let me keep going.
So the cars work they as just stoping people regardless if it still works and been doing it for some time no problems.
Might try next day with just one card. And might try taking off the part that states gift card see what happens.
One location wanted to see the card.
And other one I had gift card covered and then they seen it and said no.
But my main one use to have no problems. till now.
need to find another way to cash them out.
The G stores around me are cash only for MO.
Only thing can think of is website sales or PayPal.
or buy bitcoin and Cash it out. But then there’s fees eating in to the rewards.
Any updates what’s working for others?
Thanks
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by JDP69
I just went to few my Walmart’s in my area and every one would not let me use the cards, had simons.
the one I use on a regular the guy knows me.
And a manger just happened to be walking by and stoped it after the cards went though and would not let me keep going.
So the cars work they as just stoping people regardless if it still works and been doing it for some time no problems.
Might try next day with just one card. And might try taking off the part that states gift card see what happens.
One location wanted to see the card.
And other one I had gift card covered and then they seen it and said no.
But my main one use to have no problems. till now.
need to find another way to cash them out.
The G stores around me are cash only for MO.
Only thing can think of is website sales or PayPal.
or buy bitcoin and Cash it out. But then there’s fees eating in to the rewards.
Any updates what’s working for others?
Thanks
Really!!!!!
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:28 pm

Man, more and more data points popping up of WM dying off with the GC/MO/MS ability. Looks like managers/corporate is cracking down on this more now?

If/when WM dies off completely, what will we ever do? (someone even posted earlier in this thread that they had unconfirmed "insider" info that starting 2020 WM-nationwide could go completely dead!)
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Man, more and more data points popping up of WM dying off with the GC/MO/MS ability. Looks like managers/corporate is cracking down on this more now?
If/when WM dies off completely, what will we ever do? (someone even posted earlier in this thread that they had unconfirmed "insider" info that starting 2020 WM-nationwide could go completely dead!)
Your sky may be falling.......but my sky is fully intact. And the sun is shining.
pitflyer, carlitos and chaser123 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:29 pm

Is it advisable to buy fillers when purchasing GCs so that you're not always ringing up orders of $505.95 or $205.95 on the same card from the same store? A bag of candy or a ruler here and there or something? Or does it not matter? Using Chase, personally, but if there is wisdom for other cards, I'd love to be aware.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.