Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: danpeake
As of Nov 11, 2020, Meta gebits are getting declined when used for MO/BP purchases at MC/SD. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. READ the posts below and add a data point with details. USB and GD gift cards do not seem to be affected.

This is the thread for 2019. The previous discussion can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...rt-2018-a.html

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.

Note: The policy for allowing gift cards as payment for money orders can be more restrictive with certain stores or certain clerks. Just because an employee says there's a new restrictive policy "for all Walmarts" means nothing. There are plenty of cases where the employee is incorrect and the new policy is only regional or store specific.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit (gift debit) cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. See above on Visas issued by MetaBank. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. Follow the posts below for the latest information.
3. MC issued by US bank OR Metabank MC (Giftcards.com) can work, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
4. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.(VGC issued by Sunrise also limited to $99/swipe, same as Metabank issued cards, and Sunrise was available immediately).
5. USB work
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually $1 each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for $1 x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transactions: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money. Kates are a distant and pleasant memory now.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

7. SSN/ID entry - Any MO purchases in one transaction at or over $3K requires you to input your SSN. Any MO at or over $1K requires ID input (and ID requirement can also be forced by cashier at any amount).

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080

​​​​​

Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by radonc1
BTW, it would be helpful if you went to the "Are you banned at WM" thread and enter the particulars of what you were doing to get you banned? All DPs are valuable in this game.
Yes, I agree, all DP's are very useful. I'm specifically interested in Orlando, FL. Any DPs for those WMs? Could I do a MO for under $1,000 at some locations out there?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deker0
Yes, I agree, all DP's are very useful. I'm specifically interested in Orlando, FL. Any DPs for those WMs? Could I do a MO for under $1,000 at some locations out there?
Instead of waiting for others to provide the DPs, why would you not to test it yourself? Why people still think this is a static environment?

By now you should have known, that this thing is extremely localized - not only the stores in the same city may not behave the same, but also the same store with different cashiers also behave differently. Even the same cashier could behave differently depending on which manager / supervisor is on duty.

There are so many variables, that it is no way to know what to expect unless you go there yourself and learn how to gauge the situation. In a way, each visit whether to Wally or to Publix, feels like an adventure to me as things can turn in a dime, be it worse or better - absolutely no telling,
Old Dec 2, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Should you be surprised.
You were banned for being a heavy hitter and apparently you used this WM for your activities. Therefore, you were both known to this WM as a heavy hitter and that you had been banned by MG

It does not take a great leap of logic to conclude that the manager of your store put two and two together and banned you from this particular store for any amount of MO purchases.

I suspect that if you go to some other WM location and purchase a MO for less than $1000, you will have no problem in obtaining it as long as the store is dong MOs with VGCs and that they don't ask for your ID

BTW, it would be helpful if you went to the "Are you banned at WM" thread and enter the particulars of what you were doing to get you banned? All DPs are valuable in this game.
Not so. It only creates confusion especially to those who dont want to go out to test the water themselves.

You still dont get the essence on what the poster tries to say - that is, things can turn on a dime - a once friendly store that knows full well what you are doing but still give you the green light, could suddenly turn to an unfriendly store due to many factors - management change, they just got a new "training class", etc etc etc

The DPs are not useful if it is not at your local area. It is amazing that for as many years as this has been going on, people still think what others experiences could be used without realizing MS is Extremely Localized - what works at a store even just a few miles away, may not work at another stores. The only thing you could figure out how your own stores behave, is to try them yourself. Or if you have a friend in the same general area so you can exchange each other's DPs which are very localized to your own area.
swhang likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 3:02 pm

I don't live in the Orlando area, but I was there for two weeks last March and I had no problem getting MOs under $1K and loading Serve at multiple WMs in that area. However, I can't speak for current state of business there though.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Happy
Not so. It only creates confusion especially to those who dont want to go out to test the water themselves.

You still dont get the essence on what the poster tries to say - that is, things can turn on a dime - a once friendly store that knows full well what you are doing but still give you the green light, could suddenly turn to an unfriendly store due to many factors - management change, they just got a new "training class", etc etc etc

The DPs are not useful if it is not at your local area. It is amazing that for as many years as this has been going on, people still think what others experiences could be used without realizing MS is Extremely Localized - what works at a store even just a few miles away, may not work at another stores. The only thing you could figure out how your own stores behave, is to try them yourself. Or if you have a friend in the same general area so you can exchange each other's DPs which are very localized to your own area.
If you don't think that DPs add anything to your MS experience, why do even read these threads or respond to them?

Just ignore anything here and proceed by yourself. John Dunn didn't write that poem for nothing.

OTOH, I don't believe that things occur in a vacuum and that what may be occurring on the coasts may be the next thing happening in my back yard. I find those DPs quite enlightening. And I ask for people to supply their own DPs which means that they did go out and test the waters.
So don't hesitate to bow out. I don't mean to confuse anyone or waste their time.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you don't think that DPs add anything to your MS experience, why do even read these threads or respond to them?

Just ignore anything here and proceed by yourself. John Dunn didn't write that poem for nothing.

OTOH, I don't believe that things occur in a vacuum and that what may be occurring on the coasts may be the next thing happening in my back yard. I find those DPs quite enlightening. And I ask for people to supply their own DPs which means that they did go out and test the waters.
So don't hesitate to bow out. I don't mean to confuse anyone or waste their time.
You still dont get it. Until there is a Nation-wide change, such as a software update, whatever DPs gathered, are of very little use to those who know the game well.

The DPs you gather only confuse you and people like you who dont realize MS is very much localized because there are a lot of Conflicts among such DPs - precisely due to the fact I outlined in previous posts.

For the most obvious as an example, just how a DP in Atlanta, would be useful for a DP at Philly?

Or how about at the same store, a yellow vest has no issue performing a 4x$200 split payment herself, plus on subsequent visit, told another yellow vest "those cards are fine." Then the next day when she was not at work yet, such cards suddenly became a no go? Same store, just a day apart. The difference is the friendly yellow vest has not reported to work yet.

So what is the usefulness of such DPs? Other than telling you the Fact that the variables are so big, unless it is a nation-wide policy change / software update, none of such DPs serve any purpose.

The local DPs have everything reported here - from the most unfriendly to the most friendly, to those vary in between depending on who are on duty... How useful such DPs can be?

You would be much better off to find someone live in the same general area as you do, that you can share the localized experiences, so you know which store to avoid, even down to which particular person to avoid, as to, when you see that person, dont waste your time...

Most importantly, you should just go out there and know what your stores behave.
swhang likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 2, 2019 at 6:25 pm
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Instead of waiting for others to provide the DPs, why would you not to test it yourself? Why people still think this is a static environment?

By now you should have known, that this thing is extremely localized - not only the stores in the same city may not behave the same, but also the same store with different cashiers also behave differently. Even the same cashier could behave differently depending on which manager / supervisor is on duty.

There are so many variables, that it is no way to know what to expect unless you go there yourself and learn how to gauge the situation. In a way, each visit whether to Wally or to Publix, feels like an adventure to me as things can turn in a dime, be it worse or better - absolutely no telling,
Yes, that is true. It is very localized. I'm not there yet, but will be next month, so I wanted to get other people's experiences before I arrived there. I'll report back on what I find though.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
I don't live in the Orlando area, but I was there for two weeks last March and I had no problem getting MOs under $1K and loading Serve at multiple WMs in that area. However, I can't speak for current state of business there though.
Thanks for that! At least it gives me some hope that I could try for some success when I get there next month. Appreciate the help. There are probably a bunch of FD/DG stores in the outskirt areas too where I could load Serve if WM gave me issues.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:50 pm

You would be much better off to find someone live in the same general area as you do, that you can share the localized experiences, so you know which store to avoid, even down to which particular person to avoid, as to, when you see that person, dont waste your time....
Well, this would really be great. A bunch of topic threads - one for each major city - to track all of the various DPs in each particular location. Those that might be visiting an area or those that live in a particular area could check out the thread that pertains to them. The rest of us wouldn't bother clicking into cities not relevant to us.

Manufactured Spend DPs - New York
Manufactured Spend DPs - Miami
Manufactured Spend DPs - Orlando
Manufactured Spend DPs - San Francisco
Manufactured Spend DPs - Chicago
Manufactured Spend DPs - Boston

And so on...................................
BLoch12 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:32 am
Suspended

Well, this would really be great. A bunch of topic threads - one for each major city - to track all of the various DPs in each particular location. Those that might be visiting an area or those that live in a particular area could check out the thread that pertains to them. The rest of us wouldn't bother clicking into cities not relevant to us.

You got to be kidding me! Way back up thread you posted how some old hag at a WM wouldnt work with you, yet I know of plenty of other locations not far from there where I can walk out with an MO. so do you think we should list every single location maybe what shift to go and even name names and post a pic of those who arent friendly

Im just stunned at you last bunch of posts, and Im waiting for one where you ask someone who has a good working location if you could send them some cards and they get the MOs for you. I have to admit with some 20 hours of flying today you posts gave me a much needed laugh
Happy likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:09 am

better yet would be individual threads for each store location. The wiki could then have name and photo of each csr and rate each one.
Happy and Wonko like this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!

Originally Posted by craz
You got to be kidding me! Way back up thread you posted how some old hag at a WM wouldnt work with you, yet I know of plenty of other locations not far from there where I can walk out with an MO. so do you think we should list every single location maybe what shift to go and even name names and post a pic of those who arent friendly

Im just stunned at you last bunch of posts, and Im waiting for one where you ask someone who has a good working location if you could send them some cards and they get the MOs for you. I have to admit with some 20 hours of flying today you posts gave me a much needed laugh
I agree. There are two main drivers of Walmart's policy to accept gift cards for MOs
1. MoneyGram policy and restrictions for transactions greater than 1000, and,
2. that stores local manager policy.

Data points on new MoneyGram policy are useful because they are consistent across all Walmarts.

Data points on what one manager told certain employees to do or how certain employees do not follow a policy is not really useful. That is all about developing a relationship with one particular CSR and your luck with that can vary from day to day.

The only other factor that may determine local store policy is how a noob may burn a location by requesting too many money orders or being rude. Always go slow and space out your MO request across as many stores as possible in your geographic area to avoid "burning" any locations.
Happy and coolguy100 like this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by craz

I'm glad I gave you a much needed laugh. It was a bit of a tongue in cheek post. I was specifically replying to this statement: "You would be much better off to find someone live in the same general area as you do, that you can share the localized experiences."

Localized experiences - maybe a full thread per city is a bit much. But, I did intend it to be tongue in cheek. Either way, glad it gave you a laugh.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Chelski
better yet would be individual threads for each store location. The wiki could then have name and photo of each csr and rate each one.
Hahahaha, I love it! Photos of the CSRs so we know exactly which ones to go to. No more old hags to deal with!!!!
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
I've removed a few posts that were getting off track. Please don't insult or attack other members when posting on flyertalk. I also moved a few posts to the 'new to manufactured spending thread', where hopefully the responses will be a little bit more civil.
deker0, coolguy100, gm9928 and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.