Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 3, 21, 10:08 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: danpeake
Wiki Link
As of Nov 11, 2020, Meta gebits are getting declined when used for MO/BP purchases at MC/SD. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. READ the posts below and add a data point with details. USB and GD gift cards do not seem to be affected.

This is the thread for 2019. The previous discussion can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...rt-2018-a.html

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.

Note: The policy for allowing gift cards as payment for money orders can be more restrictive with certain stores or certain clerks. Just because an employee says there's a new restrictive policy "for all Walmarts" means nothing. There are plenty of cases where the employee is incorrect and the new policy is only regional or store specific.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit (gift debit) cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. See above on Visas issued by MetaBank. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. Follow the posts below for the latest information.
3. MC issued by US bank OR Metabank MC (Giftcards.com) can work, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
4. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.(VGC issued by Sunrise also limited to $99/swipe, same as Metabank issued cards, and Sunrise was available immediately).
5. USB work
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.


Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually $1 each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for $1 x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transactions: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money. Kates are a distant and pleasant memory now.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

7. SSN/ID entry - Any MO purchases in one transaction at or over $3K requires you to input your SSN. Any MO at or over $1K requires ID input (and ID requirement can also be forced by cashier at any amount).



Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080

​​​​​











Print Wikipost

Old Oct 12, 19, 8:53 pm
  #1276  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,848
Originally Posted by Chelski View Post
...I wonít repost things already posted.
It would be standard courtesy to provide just the post # being cited, not reposting.
MaxVO is offline  
Old Oct 14, 19, 2:13 am
  #1277  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,406
Originally Posted by ToastedSi View Post
One of the 3 WMS I go to started to ask for ID when doing 999.12 while BAU in the other 2 stores. Not sure what triggers it tbh.
Answer is that its up to the CSR. Some CSRs like to think that they are the police and thinking an ID check will stop them so they trigger it despite the amount. This whole notion of random checks under $1K is nonsense. Like what others have said if the CSR seems like they are taking a long time to process before asking you the MO amount then you are most likely going to be ID checked at that point.

For the 1 store that you said triggered the ID check when doing $999.12, try again with that same rep to see if you get ID checked. Then try with another rep at that same store to see if you get ID checked. I bet you will get different results.
ericdabbs is offline  
Old Oct 14, 19, 11:09 am
  #1278  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 54,967
Exclamation

It seems a reminder for some is required that posting to FT is a privilege that may be withdrawn for not conforming to FT Rule. Posts that are neither friendly nor welcoming and will not be allowed so if you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, do not post..

tcook052
MS forum moderator
tcook052 is offline  
Old Oct 15, 19, 8:57 am
  #1279  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,315
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
It seems a reminder for some is required that posting to FT is a privilege that may be withdrawn for not conforming to FT Rule. Posts that are neither friendly nor welcoming and will not be allowed so if you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, do not post..

tcook052
MS forum moderator
Question: Is one allowed to respond -- in a constructive and friendly way -- to a post that one believes needs clarification, additional information, etc.?
tuphat is offline  
Old Oct 15, 19, 11:43 am
  #1280  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,848
Originally Posted by tuphat View Post
Is one allowed to respond -- in a constructive and friendly way -- to a post that one believes needs clarification, additional information, etc.?
Post away, just don't be hostile or discourage others from sharing info.
MaxVO is offline  
Old Oct 15, 19, 2:36 pm
  #1281  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SAN
Programs: Delta Silver. Hilton Diamond.
Posts: 1,582
Originally Posted by tuphat View Post
Question: Is one allowed to respond -- in a constructive and friendly way -- to a post that one believes needs clarification, additional information, etc.?
Yes, of course. It is also okay to say you disagree with someone, as long as you can do so in a constructive, friendly way.
ChrisFlyer66 is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 8:21 am
  #1282  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 76
DP: Just tried to buy MO at one of my regular WM with the usually very nice clerk, and he politely told me that prepaid VGC was not allowed to buy money order here. They reason he can know I am using the VGC is because I ask for seperate 500$ payment. Zip code: Durham, NC
zyqnc is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 11:09 am
  #1283  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: none
Posts: 104
I think it's most ymmv with Ms or Walmart, I went to Walmart at Birmingham Alabama to buy a 998$ money order today and used 2 VGC and all went smoothly. No one said anything.
mySimon411 is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 12:11 pm
  #1284  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 44
I did my first MO yesterday at WM with a $200 VGC yesterday. Feel pretty pumped about it. I plan to take it slow and steady for quite awhile.

A couple questions
1. I was not asked for ID, but I wanted to know if it's ok to give the ID if prompted? I assume people avoid them to be tracked or if they been shut down somewhere, but if I'm doing a low volume and get one of those random checks, is it any big deal to give them it?
2. For yellow vest WM employees, should I be avoiding them if they are at the MC? I'm guessing they are only slightly more trained then the blue vest workers, but I wasn't sure if I should just be moving on if they are standing behind the counter or it doesn't really matter.
moflyer2k is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 12:29 pm
  #1285  
ogg
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 317
Originally Posted by moflyer2k View Post
I did my first MO yesterday at WM with a $200 VGC yesterday. Feel pretty pumped about it. I plan to take it slow and steady for quite awhile.

A couple questions
1. I was not asked for ID, but I wanted to know if it's ok to give the ID if prompted? I assume people avoid them to be tracked or if they been shut down somewhere, but if I'm doing a low volume and get one of those random checks, is it any big deal to give them it?
2. For yellow vest WM employees, should I be avoiding them if they are at the MC? I'm guessing they are only slightly more trained then the blue vest workers, but I wasn't sure if I should just be moving on if they are standing behind the counter or it doesn't really matter.
Relax. You're not doing anything wrong. Why not give your ID if asked?

Anyone behind the desk at the MC can handle your transaction if they've passed the required training. What difference does it make what their status is? I've had my money order transactions handled by temporary cashiers filling in on a break and store managers. As long as they can push the keys to complete the transaction, why does it matter?
danpeake likes this.
ogg is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 3:14 pm
  #1286  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by ogg View Post
Relax. You're not doing anything wrong. Why not give your ID if asked?

Anyone behind the desk at the MC can handle your transaction if they've passed the required training. What difference does it make what their status is? I've had my money order transactions handled by temporary cashiers filling in on a break and store managers. As long as they can push the keys to complete the transaction, why does it matter?

Just asking. People here seem to be discussing the ID situation a lot, so I, being new to this, was wondering if being asked for ID was horrible and I should be running for the hills or something.
moflyer2k is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 4:55 pm
  #1287  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PHL (kinda, no airport is really close)
Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Posts: 4,356
Originally Posted by ogg View Post
Relax. You're not doing anything wrong. Why not give your ID if asked?

Anyone behind the desk at the MC can handle your transaction if they've passed the required training. What difference does it make what their status is? I've had my money order transactions handled by temporary cashiers filling in on a break and store managers. As long as they can push the keys to complete the transaction, why does it matter?
I think you are asking if you would prefer that the CSM's not know what you're doing. As has been stated ad nauseum, MS activities at WM are YMMV. One store will all but call up a brass band for a customer doing something that will get you banned at another. At my WM, the CSM's mostly know me, occasionally wait on me, my favorite cashier will sometimes tell them things like "Hey, I'm supposed to go on my break but can you keep me from getting locked out so that I can finish RedTop's transactions?" Yes, there are stores/CSR's/CSM's whose attitude is "I don't know what you're doing but I don't understand it and therefore I don't like it."

But one MO for $200 is way under the radar. I was doing $3-55K a day before I got banned. Even now, the CSR's know I've been banned and help me work around it by letting me do multiple single transactions.
redtop43 is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 5:17 pm
  #1288  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,406
Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
I think you are asking if you would prefer that the CSM's not know what you're doing. As has been stated ad nauseum, MS activities at WM are YMMV. One store will all but call up a brass band for a customer doing something that will get you banned at another. At my WM, the CSM's mostly know me, occasionally wait on me, my favorite cashier will sometimes tell them things like "Hey, I'm supposed to go on my break but can you keep me from getting locked out so that I can finish RedTop's transactions?" Yes, there are stores/CSR's/CSM's whose attitude is "I don't know what you're doing but I don't understand it and therefore I don't like it."

But one MO for $200 is way under the radar. I was doing $3-55K a day before I got banned. Even now, the CSR's know I've been banned and help me work around it by letting me do multiple single transactions.
I wish my favorite WMs allow me to do more than 1 transaction/day for MOs. Although I haven't really asked them but I just hate "ruffling the feathers".
ericdabbs is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 5:54 pm
  #1289  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 59
Anybody have this. I havenít bought in six days Iím definitely not hitting any limits. I just tried to do a very normal $2000 buy at a very regular Walmart that has never had any issues When the cashier entered my drivers license she had a strange look on her face and said for some reason I canít do it I donít think it was a system failure
pwm112 is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 6:05 pm
  #1290  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,406
Originally Posted by pwm112 View Post
Anybody have this. I haven’t bought in six days I’m definitely not hitting any limits. I just tried to do a very normal $2000 buy at a very regular Walmart that has never had any issues When the cashier entered my drivers license she had a strange look on her face and said for some reason I can’t do it I don’t think it was a system failure
What do you mean by a "very normal $2000 buy"? If you are buying $2K MO and when they enter your DL and it doesn't let them proceed then you are likely banned. How many times did they try to do this to confirm the error? When the ban occurred for me, I tried 2 different amounts and they both didn't work so I knew I was banned. Having no issues at the Walmart previously does not imply that you are exempt from the ID ban. This is most likely triggered by the MG system which WM folks do not have control of.
ericdabbs is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread