Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: danpeake
As of Nov 11, 2020, Meta gebits are getting declined when used for MO/BP purchases at MC/SD. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. READ the posts below and add a data point with details. USB and GD gift cards do not seem to be affected.

This is the thread for 2019. The previous discussion can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...rt-2018-a.html

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.

Note: The policy for allowing gift cards as payment for money orders can be more restrictive with certain stores or certain clerks. Just because an employee says there's a new restrictive policy "for all Walmarts" means nothing. There are plenty of cases where the employee is incorrect and the new policy is only regional or store specific.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit (gift debit) cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. See above on Visas issued by MetaBank. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. Follow the posts below for the latest information.
3. MC issued by US bank OR Metabank MC (Giftcards.com) can work, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
4. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.(VGC issued by Sunrise also limited to $99/swipe, same as Metabank issued cards, and Sunrise was available immediately).
5. USB work
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually $1 each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for $1 x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transactions: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money. Kates are a distant and pleasant memory now.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

7. SSN/ID entry - Any MO purchases in one transaction at or over $3K requires you to input your SSN. Any MO at or over $1K requires ID input (and ID requirement can also be forced by cashier at any amount).

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080

​​​​​

Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
OMG can people please stop bringing any attention to any potential changes that was created based on some rumor. Lets not try to kill the <$1K MO route please.
What potential changes? Are they going to increase the % of random ID for <$1000 purchases? Yes
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS 100K
this past weekend, I stopped by a WM i had often visited before but the cashier was a young guy I had not seen before. I asked for a $795 MO. Once I asked for multiple $200 swipes, he asked for ID. That threw me off since I was under the 1k limit. I gave him my ID, I remember him scanning my ID. Not sure if he typed anything, cannot remember. He handed ID back soon after and proceeded with the transaction. As the MO was printing, i asked about the ID check. He said he asked for it because I was using gift cards. I was like OK.

I went to another WM nearby. The cashier working knew me and I asked her if IDs are ever asked for under 1k MOs, she said no. I even asked if there's a prompt in the screen that allows cashiers to add ID info. She said that there wasn't, that only ID prompt comes up when asking for >1k.

So this made me think that young guy might have filed an SAR against me. First time it's happened to me, that I'm aware of. I hope this doesn't ban me.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
this past weekend, I stopped by a WM i had often visited before but the cashier was a young guy I had not seen before. I asked for a $795 MO. Once I asked for multiple $200 swipes, he asked for ID. That threw me off since I was under the 1k limit. I gave him my ID, I remember him scanning my ID. Not sure if he typed anything, cannot remember. He handed ID back soon after and proceeded with the transaction. As the MO was printing, i asked about the ID check. He said he asked for it because I was using gift cards. I was like OK.

I went to another WM nearby. The cashier working knew me and I asked her if IDs are ever asked for under 1k MOs, she said no. I even asked if there's a prompt in the screen that allows cashiers to add ID info. She said that there wasn't, that only ID prompt comes up when asking for >1k.

So this made me think that young guy might have filed an SAR against me. First time it's happened to me, that I'm aware of. I hope this doesn't ban me.
I was told there is a box they can select to prompt the register to capture ID.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:20 pm
ogg

Again, there are random ID checks for <$1K money orders built into the WM system. Those are not caused by any actions of the CSR. There's no doubt about this--it's part of the programming. The fact that one CSR hasn't seen that yet doesn't mean it isn't real.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
I was told there is a box they can select to prompt the register to capture ID.
I'm guessing the guy selected it.

Originally Posted by ogg
Again, there are random ID checks for <$1K money orders built into the WM system. Those are not caused by any actions of the CSR. There's no doubt about this--it's part of the programming. The fact that one CSR hasn't seen that yet doesn't mean it isn't real.
yeah, I figure she had not come across it.

I'm gonna try buy a >1k MO at one WM where I know the cashier very well. I'll report back.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:03 pm

I'm guessing the guy selected it.
Actually in the case where I was told about the box, no she didn't. I was "only" using two cards to split payment and she said she didn't want to enter the info and that's when she mentioned the check box.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:34 pm

its crazy to me about all these "rules" made up by folks on this board. Its obvious that each WM CS rep can do their own thing. Ive been doing 2 999.12 MO at 2 WM 2x per week. I used to do more but dont want to ruin it. I go at 8AM on Sun and Fri. 8K weekly seems to work fine. I have great rapore with them and I treat them respectfully. They seem to treat me the same way. If people would just act normal and not look like you are gaming the system.with 3k or other games.all will be fine. Many WM have been ruined due to greedy cheating people..And they scan my ID also. I can clear about 20k just will WM and after expenses maybe 18500.yearly. Plus I use Acme also for MO buy limit is 500 and 1.00 fee. Their clerks in upstate NY are holdovers from the A&P days. Mostly old crabby ladies who never retire. They look like 75 yo. I found 2 ACME stores that have young folks working on Sun PM.. So I hit them around 4PM and fine. Acme is good for 5-7k yearly. And I only do 2 OVGC or 2 MCGC at each ACME so as not to burn system. They seem to be fine with that amt. Im just happy I can this still.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I've bought at least 20 MO's since the shutdown from "friendly" CSR's without being asked for ID. When I say "bought 20 MO's) I mean one per transaction. I did have one CSR I don't know well at my primary WM who seemed to be entering something on his keyboard before doing my transaction, and he did ask for ID. So based on my personal experience, they can trigger something to ask for ID but it doesn't happen randomly. The CSR's know about the shutdown but seem to feel zero responsibility for helping enforce it; rather they seem quite willing to help customers evade it.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:35 pm

So when he asked for ID, did you hand it over...or did you politely decline and leave?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ogg
just let him/her be paranoid. It's more fun that way.
ericdabbs likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by daddyo_daddyo
So when he asked for ID, did you hand it over...or did you politely decline and leave?
i'm guessing you're asking me?

if so, yes, I handed my ID to him. I figured it was not worth declining then have him spread info to other cashiers about me not wanting to show ID.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 10:09 am

This thread has become circular reasoning gone very, very bad. The facts are simple and been reported here since Oct/Nov 2018 regarding the kyc changes.
Tectomoc likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: No ID/Never Banned
Hoping to help put this "Random Check" to bed for everyone. Long time lurker but I signed up just for this.

I live in an area where I can visit over 30 WM's in ONE DAY(depending on my energy levels). Always under $900 MO since the change, or under 2500 before the change last year(the good old days!).

I have never been randomly asked for ID, ever. I have been asked for ID under 1k, but they are always the same 3 CSR's(at different stores) who pretend its random. 2 of these CSR's were very friendly and we always had good small talk, but one day it changed. I'm guessing I became recognizable or too frequent for their liking and whatever new training they went through. If you don't want to show ID, just politely say "I'm sorry I don't have it with me" and walk away. I now turn around immediately when I see one of my 3 "random check" CSR's at the desk, and move along to the other WM's.

So people of FlyerTalk.........THERE IS NO RANDOM ID CHECK UNDER 1k! They deem it suspicious and they are putting you in a system, whether MG, WM, or SAR. That is up to you all to debate. Your "friendly" CSR is lying to you. Unless you are going out for beers after work, or smoking a joint with them watching Rick & Morty on the weekend, they are not telling you the truth.

Good luck to all and hope my DP will help the forum.

Last edited by Walmart; Oct 10, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Old Oct 10, 2019, 2:05 pm
ogg

I have never been randomly asked for ID, ever. I have been asked for ID under 1k, but they are always the same 3 CSR's(at different stores) who pretend its random.
I see. You're sure 3 different CSRs have repeatedly lied to you, and therefore the rest of us posting about random ID checks are mistaken about the randomness of it. I guess that means that the CSRs I deal with like me 9 out of ten times, and then decide they don't like me one out of ten times, because the ID request is made about 10% of the time.

Welcome to the board.
84fiero and Chelski like this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 2:30 pm

I always get ID checks under $1K with same SCR's as well. It's takes a longer sequence of steps to force an ID check, so the difference is unmistakable. Plus I'm usually good at reading facial expressions, so I can tell in advance when they've decided to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.