Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: danpeake
As of Nov 11, 2020, Meta gebits are getting declined when used for MO/BP purchases at MC/SD. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. READ the posts below and add a data point with details. USB and GD gift cards do not seem to be affected.

This is the thread for 2019. The previous discussion can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...rt-2018-a.html

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.

Note: The policy for allowing gift cards as payment for money orders can be more restrictive with certain stores or certain clerks. Just because an employee says there's a new restrictive policy "for all Walmarts" means nothing. There are plenty of cases where the employee is incorrect and the new policy is only regional or store specific.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit (gift debit) cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. See above on Visas issued by MetaBank. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. Follow the posts below for the latest information.
3. MC issued by US bank OR Metabank MC (Giftcards.com) can work, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
4. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.(VGC issued by Sunrise also limited to $99/swipe, same as Metabank issued cards, and Sunrise was available immediately).
5. USB work
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually $1 each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for $1 x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transactions: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money. Kates are a distant and pleasant memory now.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

7. SSN/ID entry - Any MO purchases in one transaction at or over $3K requires you to input your SSN. Any MO at or over $1K requires ID input (and ID requirement can also be forced by cashier at any amount).

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080

​​​​​

Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by ricohitman
Just want to add to this datapoint... There is an on-going issue at harris teeters to the usb visas. It's very random but i came across it yesterday. Cards are messed up and 3 digits on back of card are wrong. I had to order 2 new cards. In general they all work fine, but just be aware you might get hit with it.
Maybe due to the power outages in Tx.??
Old Feb 18, 2021, 12:23 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by radonc1
Maybe due to the power outages in Tx.??
others are also speculating this is an issue Storm related issues
Old Feb 18, 2021, 1:22 pm

Programs: IHG, Hilton diamond (IHG match) SPG gold
Just want to add to this datapoint... There is an on-going issue at harris teeters to the usb visas. It's very random but i came across it yesterday. Cards are messed up and 3 digits on back of card are wrong. I had to order 2 new cards. In general they all work fine, but just be aware you might get hit with it.
does that mean you were able to redeem? I haven’t tried mine, I was just assuming they were yet to be activated.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 1:28 pm

avg weekly volume

Hi Guys, with ID required for over 1K purchase, what are your avg volume per week? I have been doing several $999.00 purchases and one $999.00X2 purchase per week. wondering if I can increase X2 purchase without being banned.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 1:38 pm

I was being cautious <1k, but the other day I needed to get to bank before closing And reduce stops. I did 2k with ID - I’ve done it twice a few days apart. I guess it’s ok. I’m not planning to hit hard or do consecutive days
Old Feb 18, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by 808pineapple
does that mean you were able to redeem? I haven’t tried mine, I was just assuming they were yet to be activated.
Was not able too. They are fudged. I just had them mail me news. Not gonna even wait around. This is the first time its ever happened.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
I had a “go-to” 7-11 that took credit cards to purchase GCs. But they got burned over the holidays and only take cash now. I assumed I just needed to find a new 7-11. Three other 7-11s in my area I have been too only take cash as well.

I assume YMMV, but I want to confirm with the group that there are 7-11s out there that take credit cards to purchase GCs?

Thanks
TD
yes CC works for GC at 711 but ymmv. I found a few in my area that are friendly and don't have a problem with it. I always buy 3x $500 GC every other day as that seems to be the limit. Any more than that and the register declines the purchase.
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 5:17 pm

Went

Was not able too. They are fudged. I just had them mail me news. Not gonna even wait around. This is the first time its ever happened.
mine just went active (24 hours)
Old Feb 18, 2021, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by jumbotron_
yes CC works for GC at 711 but ymmv. I found a few in my area that are friendly and don't have a problem with it. I always buy 3x $500 GC every other day as that seems to be the limit. Any more than that and the register declines the purchase.
The 7-11 I was using had gas and coded as gas. What do 7-11’s without gas code as? Looking to find another source that codes as gas.

TD
Old Feb 18, 2021, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by 808pineapple
mine just went active (24 hours)
Lol looks like my impatience got the better of me.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
The 7-11 I was using had gas and coded as gas. What do 7-11’s without gas code as? Looking to find another source that codes as gas.

TD
yeah even the 7-11 that aren't gas stations codes as gas for me. This is really helpful to see what merchants will code as: https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator...pplier-locator
Old Feb 19, 2021, 6:39 am

yeah even the 7-11 that aren't gas stations codes as gas for me. This is really helpful to see what merchants will code as: https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator...pplier-locator
Good to know. Is there a similar lookup for MC?
Old Feb 19, 2021, 11:13 am

Be careful. Some 7-11s categorize as grocery. All the ones around me categorize as gas, but there are many reports that say differently.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 1:32 pm

Be careful. Some 7-11s categorize as grocery. All the ones around me categorize as gas, but there are many reports that say differently.
It's been a long time, but when I purchased from the one close to me, even though it had gas pumps, and Amex showed the transaction as 'service station' with a sub-listing as 'fuel', I never got the 5%. Sucked.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 2:59 pm

Yeah always check the supplier locator to be sure. All the 711s in my area code as gas

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.