Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: danpeake
As of Nov 11, 2020, Meta gebits are getting declined when used for MO/BP purchases at MC/SD. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. READ the posts below and add a data point with details. USB and GD gift cards do not seem to be affected.

This is the thread for 2019. The previous discussion can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...rt-2018-a.html

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.

Note: The policy for allowing gift cards as payment for money orders can be more restrictive with certain stores or certain clerks. Just because an employee says there's a new restrictive policy "for all Walmarts" means nothing. There are plenty of cases where the employee is incorrect and the new policy is only regional or store specific.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit (gift debit) cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. See above on Visas issued by MetaBank. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. Follow the posts below for the latest information.
3. MC issued by US bank OR Metabank MC (Giftcards.com) can work, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
4. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.(VGC issued by Sunrise also limited to $99/swipe, same as Metabank issued cards, and Sunrise was available immediately).
5. USB work
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually $1 each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for $1 x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transactions: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money. Kates are a distant and pleasant memory now.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

7. SSN/ID entry - Any MO purchases in one transaction at or over $3K requires you to input your SSN. Any MO at or over $1K requires ID input (and ID requirement can also be forced by cashier at any amount).

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080

​​​​​

Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2021, 5:32 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by ogg
An added cost of 12 cents on each $1000.00 money order increases your liquidating costs to a tenth of a percent from .088%. Is that really a game killer for anyone? Geez.
Let's get a bit more real here.

A SMGC costs $3.95 for $1000. You were once able to convert that to a $1000 MO for $.88 at WM. Cost per $1000 was $4.83 or .0483%. (I am using 88 cents rather than the once 69 cents since we didn't have $1000 GCs back then).

Now, you cannot use a SMGC at WM, so I will take the next best thing, a USB GC (which it itself is hard to find for some or even non-existent) which I will presume costs $4.95 for a $500 card. Now add on the new, improved and shiney $1 per MO and we have a cost of $10.90/$1000 MO. (220% increase).

Furthermore, outlets that let us decrease costs, such as Staples no fee GCs (and OM/OD as well) have pretty much been eliminated by both the limitations at WM as well as trying to liquidate $200 GCs without multiple swipes.

As more Belugas are displaced into the grocery ecosystem, I anticipate that these scattered sites of redemption will also become fewer as they get burned by those who just don't care.

So, is raising the purchase price of a MO at WM a game killer by itself? Of course not.

But when you are maiming by small cuts, eventually you eviscerate an entire game
TyPo311 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 7:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Originally Posted by radonc1
Furthermore, outlets that let us decrease costs, such as Staples no fee GCs (and OM/OD as well) have pretty much been eliminated by both the limitations at WM as well as trying to liquidate $200 GCs without multiple swipes.
I'm still doing Staples due to the 5X on points. When they have the fee sale you're looking at

$1000 MBGC at no cost + $2.50 to redeem at the new $1 MO cost = 5000 UR at a cost of 0.0005 per point.

Just a bit more running around.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 7:38 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by CVG_Kid

The 12 cent is meaningless. Its the cost of the time needed for all the new running around that wrecks the economics of it
TyPo311 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: SWA A-List, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ogg
An added cost of 12 cents on each $1000.00 money order increases your liquidating costs to a tenth of a percent from .088%. Is that really a game killer for anyone? Geez.
Should have used the sarcasm font. I thought the lol at the end would be enough... Given the magnitude of the Metabank limitation and the small incremental cost of 12cents one is a real issue the other is just a minor annoyance. Anyway the $1 fee is good to know about if I ever make it back into a WM to MS.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
I'm still doing Staples due to the 5X on points. When they have the fee sale you're looking at

$1000 MBGC at no cost + $2.50 to redeem at the new $1 MO cost = 5000 UR at a cost of 0.0005 per point.

First, I ran out of my 5x bonus on my Chase card a long time ago. I think I still have 5 more months to wait until I get a refresh.

Second, I just don't get your numbers. I buy 5 $200 cards (I presume that is how you get your $1000) and then have to find somewhere to cash them in. You cannot use MBGCs at WM unless you are doing $99 swipes. Assuming you have a WM which will allow you 4 swipes, that is one MO of $395 plus a fee of $1 (total $396).

You have to make 3 separate trips to cash in all the cards and you get 2 MOs for $395 and one MO for $207.

You may think that UR points are great, but my time is more valuable than what they are worth, especially now when travel is so constricted.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Let's get a bit more real here.

A SMGC costs $3.95 for $1000. You were once able to convert that to a $1000 MO for $.88 at WM. Cost per $1000 was $4.83 or .0483%. (I am using 88 cents rather than the once 69 cents since we didn't have $1000 GCs back then).

Now, you cannot use a SMGC at WM, so I will take the next best thing, a USB GC (which it itself is hard to find for some or even non-existent) which I will presume costs $4.95 for a $500 card. Now add on the new, improved and shiney $1 per MO and we have a cost of $10.90/$1000 MO. (220% increase).

As more Belugas are displaced into the grocery ecosystem, I anticipate that these scattered sites of redemption will also become fewer as they get burned by those who just don't care.

So, is raising the purchase price of a MO at WM a game killer by itself? Of course not.

But when you are maiming by small cuts, eventually you eviscerate an entire game
The $500 USB GC at my grocery store cost $5.95.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by TyPo311
Should have used the sarcasm font. I thought the lol at the end would be enough... Given the magnitude of the Metabank limitation and the small incremental cost of 12cents one is a real issue the other is just a minor annoyance. Anyway the $1 fee is good to know about if I ever make it back into a WM to MS.
Some will never get it. The joke's on them.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:34 am
Suspended

First, I ran out of my 5x bonus on my Chase card a long time ago. I think I still have 5 more months to wait until I get a refresh.

Second, I just don't get your numbers. I buy 5 $200 cards (I presume that is how you get your $1000) and then have to find somewhere to cash them in. You cannot use MBGCs at WM unless you are doing $99 swipes. Assuming you have a WM which will allow you 4 swipes, that is one MO of $395 plus a fee of $1 (total $396).

You have to make 3 separate trips to cash in all the cards and you get 2 MOs for $395 and one MO for $207.

You may think that UR points are great, but my time is more valuable than what they are worth, especially now when travel is so constricted.
I disagree, I usually get 40 cards thats worth 40K, and I can unload 4 cards per supermkt.. My route is made up of 13 stores just in case 1 of them doesnt workout. Yea it takes a few hours, but that 40K IMHO is well worth the time, and if it was possible Id do it every week

Besides airlines Chase is 1:1 with Hyatt so 40K can get a person some nice rooms for alittle investment. Besides the same parent chain where I live charges alot more for the same items by me so I also grocery shop while doing my unloading and save a good few $$s
Old Jan 26, 2021, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by craz
I disagree, I usually get 40 cards thats worth 40K, and I can unload 4 cards per supermkt.. My route is made up of 13 stores just in case 1 of them doesnt workout. Yea it takes a few hours, but that 40K IMHO is well worth the time, and if it was possible Id do it every week

Besides airlines Chase is 1:1 with Hyatt so 40K can get a person some nice rooms for alittle investment. Besides the same parent chain where I live charges alot more for the same items by me so I also grocery shop while doing my unloading and save a good few $$s
Lets run your numbers.

40 cards for $40K means $1000/card which can only be SMGC Metas. Fine.

Grocers only do $500 MOs (unless you know of a grocer that is doing $1000 MOs???). So for you to unload 4 cards means that you are doing 8 swipes/grocer to purchase 8 $500 MOs. All I can say is that you have fantastic grocers but I believe you. I don't have the guts to ask for 8 MOs from a single grocer on a single visit and let me do multiple swipes with more than 1 GC.

I get sweaty hands just trying to cash in 1 $1000 GC at a grocer for 2 MOs, and I don't do that more than twice a month at the same store in order to avoid attracting attention.

However, given your volume, I now see how and why venues for this game are drying up .
MaxVO and Traveler Dave like this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 3:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou

I used $2.50 (2.5 MO @ $1) redemption cost to align with the $1000 previously offered. In practice I'll buy $1000 daily during the sale. I consolidate $2000 in 5 money orders. Day one has a holdover.

I am doing $99 swipes at WM and other stores. If anything the WM constraint has opened up many more options for MO that are closer to me.

I live in a large city. Staples is next door to my gym and across the street from one MO location. It's very little time for me.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Lets run your numbers.

Grocers only do $500 MOs (unless you know of a grocer that is doing $1000 MOs???). So for you to unload 4 cards means that you are doing 8 swipes/grocer to purchase 8 $500 MOs. All I can say is that you have fantastic grocers but I believe you. I don't have the guts to ask for 8 MOs from a single grocer on a single visit and let me do multiple swipes with more than 1 GC.

I get sweaty hands just trying to cash in 1 $1000 GC at a grocer for 2 MOs, and I don't do that more than twice a month at the same store in order to avoid attracting attention.

However, given your volume, I now see how and why venues for this game are drying up .
I understand your concerns but significant MS (certainly not me) is not for those that get sweaty hands.
I cut my trips to WM in half by dragging my wife along. She loves to chit-chat with the MC clerks.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Lets run your numbers.

I get sweaty hands just trying to cash in 1 $1000 GC at a grocer for 2 MOs, and I don't do that more than twice a month at the same store in order to avoid attracting attention. @ SAtaples
??? I was responding to your post which was in response to what another poster posted and was talking about Staple Gebits. So its not $40K in cards but $4k since each 200 card = 1K in pts , so 40K in pts = $4k in value when using the INK CC. Of cause theres the max of 450K per year in earning 5x per $1 @ Staples.So when running the #s remember theres no fee for the Gedbits, only cost is for the MO @ .89 up to $500.And its 4 cards per store and 2 MOs, time consuming to an extent but worth it at least to me.(each MO is <$500)
Old Feb 4, 2021, 8:35 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Glad everything is back to normal at Wally, sans Simon Mall VGCs
My friends the CSRs have never seen that famous memo, and they are super senior 10 to 15 years working for the same store.
Still pit stopping for my now $998 + $1 usd fee MO for a total of $999 split on a $500 and a $499 VGC from US Bank without a problem and no need to auto-drain anything.
That 10X Points on the Plat Amex in 6 months on up to $15K are getting done at a super fast pace ...
Guess whales were the ones being stopped and now it is life back to normal.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by carlitos
Glad everything is back to normal at Wally, sans Simon Mall VGCs
My friends the CSRs have never seen that famous memo, and they are super senior 10 to 15 years working for the same store.
Still pit stopping for my now $998 + $1 usd fee MO for a total of $999 split on a $500 and a $499 VGC from US Bank without a problem and no need to auto-drain anything.
That 10X Points on the Plat Amex in 6 months on up to $15K are getting done at a super fast pace ...
Guess whales were the ones being stopped and now it is life back to normal.
Haha, silly question but why don't you do $499.50 on both cards as opposed to the 500/499 split? Do you use two different design cards to differentiate?
Old Feb 4, 2021, 10:52 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Advantage of USB VGC?

I buy 5 x $200 Staples gebits daily for a week when they waive the fee. US Bank's cards have a 3.95 fee. Staples and WM are close to me. Other than saving time, what is the advantage of spending $7.90 for 2 x $500 at USB?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.