Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FreakingFlyer
When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2019 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:15 pm

Is account closure by a bank noted on EWS/Chex and does it have a negative effect on future accounts?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I recently had a shutdown, which led to me filing an arbitration. I'm not at liberty to discuss the vendor nor the terms of the settlement, but there is something that came up that might be useful.

The attorney representing the vendor is not an employee of the vendor, but said he does a lot of work for them. He said that his impression was that the main factor in my shutdown was the use of Checkfree Pay to pay the bill. The vendor didn't know where that money was coming from so it represented a compliance risk.

Interestingly, in this case, most of my payments were coming from a bank, and CFP was only a relatively small portion ($10K/mo).
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
Interestingly, in this case, most of my payments were coming from a bank, and CFP was only a relatively small portion ($10K/mo).
I have been loading to several prepaids fee-free that's why I've not been doing B/P and MO for the last 90 days. I noticed that among banks I used to do WMBP, it is only c1t1 that posts as no bank name found while chs (last pymt a year ago) and disc (last pymt was end of Feb) posts the bank name with last 4 digits of account CFP has set up for me. I noticed all payments to different CCs were coming from the same bank acct when I did CFP via WMBP.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by redtop43
I recently had a shutdown, which led to me filing an arbitration. I'm not at liberty to discuss the vendor nor the terms of the settlement, but there is something that came up that might be useful.

The attorney representing the vendor is not an employee of the vendor, but said he does a lot of work for them. He said that his impression was that the main factor in my shutdown was the use of Checkfree Pay to pay the bill. The vendor didn't know where that money was coming from so it represented a compliance risk.

Cap1 really tightened up on external payments and MS about 18 months ago. Surprised you lasted very long. They were the best for MS since you could use select gcs to directly pay your balance - was a sweet deal since you could make 1 payment per day per account, and Cap1 allowed multiple accounts of the same type. Some people were paying $10k/day on 2% cards - who couldn't do with an extra $6K/mo tax-free? Cap1 are a good bunch since they pay signup bonuses even if they close your accounts. That deal lasted a good long while until the usual idiots started posting about it.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Sorry to be "that guy", but I've a question about the likelihood of a shutdown.

Two Ch@se Biz cards for a legit business:

CI Plus 7.5k CL: 2.5k (VGC @ Staples) & 5k non-bonus ($2k in straight GC and $500 on Amazon cards)
CI Preferred 40k CL: 15k in ads x3 & 25k non-bonus

My worry is hitting the credit line or going over, and thus I'm cycling. Also, I'm killing the 3x ad spend (which is legitimate), but am afraid this will get my account looked at due to its high proportion of spend, and thus lead to scrutiny.

The amounts are small, compared to what I see around here, so please don't laugh

If you made it this far, I have one more ask. Assuming I ramp slowly, how high could I get without worrying too much? Don't worry, I won't hold you to it when I get shut down!

Last edited by drewp123; Jun 26, 2019 at 9:10 pm
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by drewp123
Sorry to be "that guy", but I've a question about the likelihood of a shutdown.

Two Ch@se Biz cards for a legit business:

CI Plus 7.5k CL: 2.5k GC & 5k non-bonus ($2k in straight GC and $500 on Amazon cards)
CI Preferred 40k CL: 15k in ads x3 & 25k non-bonus

My worry is hitting the credit line or going over, and thus I'm cycling. Also, I'm killing the 3x ad spend (which is legitimate), but am afraid this will get my account looked at due to its high proportion of spend, and thus lead to scrutiny.

The amounts are small, compared to what I see around here, so please don't laugh

If you made it this far, I have one more ask. Assuming I ramp slowly, how high could I get without worrying too much? Don't worry, I won't hold you to it when I get shut down!
I think the risk of getting shutdown based on your spend profile right now is very low. I don't think anyone can give you a clear answer about how much you can spend without worrying "too much". But the risk definitely increases if you start spending more than your credit limit. If you do plan to try spending more, you are wise to ramp up slowly.
drewp123 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:13 pm

1. Capital One Ventrue
2. 8 years
3. 2k Checking
4. 20-30K
5. No Cycle
6. No BP

Logged into my account and wife's account and both were listed as 'Restricted'. Spent an hour on the phone being transferred by CS and finally got to the fraud dept. They said I needed to leave a message for the EXECUTIVE RESOLUTION DEPT and someone would get back to me. I had about 800K miles between both accounts and now they say 0. Anyone have experience with this? we both got emails saying they would credit the cash to the account but if the CC is closed where will the money go?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by wanalaugh74
1. Capital One Ventrue
2. 8 years
3. 2k Checking
4. 20-30K
5. No Cycle
6. No BP

Logged into my account and wife's account and both were listed as 'Restricted'. Spent an hour on the phone being transferred by CS and finally got to the fraud dept. They said I needed to leave a message for the EXECUTIVE RESOLUTION DEPT and someone would get back to me. I had about 800K miles between both accounts and now they say 0. Anyone have experience with this? we both got emails saying they would credit the cash to the account but if the CC is closed where will the money go?
If they have shut you down completely, they will send you a check once they are certain that there are no outstanding checks that need to be paid from your checking balance.
On the other hand, if all they shut was your credit card, then you have an ongoing relation with them and a functional checking account.......not likely.

Bummer about the miles. From other posts, you can follow up and request that they be given back. There apparently has been some success in doing that.

Were you paying your CC account balance out of checking. If you were, were you depositing MOs into the checking account? If so, this would be the classic "don't poop where you eat" scenario.
Good luck in getting those miles back.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
If they have shut you down completely, they will send you a check once they are certain that there are no outstanding checks that need to be paid from your checking balance.
On the other hand, if all they shut was your credit card, then you have an ongoing relation with them and a functional checking account.......not likely.

Bummer about the miles. From other posts, you can follow up and request that they be given back. There apparently has been some success in doing that.

Were you paying your CC account balance out of checking. If you were, were you depositing MOs into the checking account? If so, this would be the classic "don't poop where you eat" scenario.
Good luck in getting those miles back.
So you think they will just deposit the money into my 360 account?

No i just kept that checking and savings account for relationship status.. i know its not a lot but i use it for my venmo and paypal transactions for my kids payments. Never deposited MO into any of my Cap1 accounts.

thanks ill post an update when I hear or get something.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:23 pm

**UPDATE**

My wife's Cap1 CC just got credited $2.6K so it reduced my outstanding balance by that amount... CC is still closed.

My CC was also credited $1.5K but now has a negative balance... hope I can get a check or something bc the CC is still closed.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Barclay Arrival (this is not the Arrival Plus - I downgraded to the plain Arrival when I decided to close my Arrival Plus a few years ago).

Closed for inactivity. Card has been in the drawer for the past few years.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Closed for inactivity ...
I'd consider this to be a separate category, and practically the opposite of a shutdown -- b/c the latter is caused by an activity.
TyPo311 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by wanalaugh74
**UPDATE**

My wife's Cap1 CC just got credited $2.6K so it reduced my outstanding balance by that amount... CC is still closed.

My CC was also credited $1.5K but now has a negative balance... hope I can get a check or something bc the CC is still closed.
This happened to me like 4 yrs ago or so. I had about 80,000 points. Cap1 closed my venture cc, and my check account with them (only had like pennies). They sent me a check for 1/2 the value of the points. (since 1.00 spend get you 2%).

Also, I am pretty much banned from signing up with them again. I tried like 2 years ago. Instant denial.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 3:03 pm

deleted

Last edited by hotpancakes; Jul 28, 2019 at 7:46 pm Reason: deleted
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by hotpancakes
Question about potential BOA closure:

I have (4) BOA CCs, 2 of which are Cash Rewards. I don't put much vanilla spend on any of them, but I do max out the 3% Cash Rewards category for each of the Cash Rewards cards. The transactions on each card are made on eBay in the "collectibles" category, and amount to a single charge anywhere from $2500-$2800, once per quarter per card. These charges are well below my credit limits on either card.

Given the above scenario, do you think I'm at risk of account closure? Thanks!
I think your shutdown risk is low.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.