Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FreakingFlyer
When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2019 Shutdown Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by tuphat
Datapoint and inquiry: Out of the blue, my Citi Double Cash and TY Preferred cards were closed by the issuer. Have had each for 10+ years. Relatively light MS usage of DC card up until several months ago. FICO score +790. Telephone CSR couldn't provide any additional information (other than saying that it looked "strange"), letter to be received by mail apparently only says to direct written question to "ERU" at Sioux Falls POB.

Any ideas?
What is "relatively light" actually mean? For some, that is $500/mo and for others, $10,000/mo.
For me, Citi is very prickly when it comes to buying VGCs in large denominations just about anywhere. I cannot get a Citi card through SM without a denial (and subsequently being disabled from using it at SM for 24 hours.)
So the above question is pertinent.

Please let us know what they say and especially if they give you a reprieve.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chelski
doesn’t automatically increase ur utilization if utilization=$0 or u trnsfr ute to a different card.

Also, who closed may not be important for next cc but can come into play if need a human review or worse yet auto loan or mortgage. Anything considered derogatory can impact other credit types. Creditors want to know if it was closed in good standing or closed due to delinquency.
Closures by issuers do not equal to delinquency.

There are many closures by issuers that have NOTHING to do with any negatives other than inactivities - the most common reason.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Datapoint and inquiry: Out of the blue, my Citi Double Cash and TY Preferred cards were closed by the issuer. Have had each for 10+ years. Relatively light MS usage of DC card up until several months ago. FICO score +790. Telephone CSR couldn't provide any additional information (other than saying that it looked "strange"), letter to be received by mail apparently only says to direct written question to "ERU" at Sioux Falls POB.

Any ideas?
What does that mean? You have done light MS until a few months ago then up the ante? Or you stopped a few months ago? Totally unclear and can be a very important factor.

If your spend spiked up it can very well be the reason to lead to human review and then the human saw where you used your cards ... the rest is history.
Hope you get a reprieve. Else there are legal helps if it is Citi closures. Search here or google you will find the info in case you need it.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte

Last edited by pharmawalk; Feb 12, 2019 at 10:13 pm
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte

Last edited by pharmawalk; Feb 12, 2019 at 10:13 pm
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:34 am

CIti has shut me down in the past. Only unusual thing I did was pay my account with MC debits. Oddly, they only shut down the account I used for legit spend and paid off with debits. Notice didn't give any detailed explanation. I still have my AA account.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:26 pm

Any ideas?

Google "Alex Darr"
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Closures by issuers do not equal to delinquency.

There are many closures by issuers that have NOTHING to do with any negatives other than inactivities - the most common reason.
inactivity wld be good standing. it wrong to think a closre shwng up in cr hist wont hv any NEG impct.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by chaser123
CIti has shut me down in the past. Only unusual thing I did was pay my account with MC debits. Oddly, they only shut down the account I used for legit spend and paid off with debits. Notice didn't give any detailed explanation. I still have my AA account.
Citi shut you down for making debit payments over the phone with GCs? What ballpark volume of payments were you doing?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chelski
inactivity wld be good standing. it wrong to think a closre shwng up in cr hist wont hv any NEG impct.
You can choose to disbelieve or argue but what your understanding is wrong primarily because you confuse / mix up the derogatory items with the account closed by issuers notation.

Only when you have other derogatory items on your reports, otherwise a notation of account closed by issuer has NO negative effect on your report. Repeat - if only shown account closed by issuer, without any other derogatory items on the person's report there is absolutely no ill effect on your ability to obtain new credits whether it is cards or mortgage or auto loan.

Now, you should also NOT to confuse that the person can obtain new card from the SAME issuer who closed the accounts - some issuers would forgive after certain time has passed, some dont. BofA and Barclays dont. US bank and Chase may be. Citi forgives based on the nature of the previous traverse. Take your pick.

Before anybody asks, those information are given by folks who are affected when they seek advice, therefore not something made up or in one's perception but real life DPs.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Only when you have other derogatory items on your reports, otherwise a notation of account closed by issuer has NO negative effect on your report. Repeat - if only shown account closed by issuer, without any other derogatory items on the person's report there is absolutely no ill effect on your ability to obtain new credits whether it is cards or mortgage or auto loan.
Correct. A good example of this that is relevant to many on here was when the Citi got the Costco card portfolio in June 2016. The AmEx cards were closed by the issuer as the portfolio was "purchased by another lender". The reason for the account closure has no bearing on your report.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:01 am

Any ideas?
Did you get a call from Citi asking about unusual activity before the closure? They'll usually give you a chance to explain your MS and tone it down before a shutdown.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by FrankMS
Did you get a call from Citi asking about unusual activity before the closure? They'll usually give you a chance to explain your MS and tone it down before a shutdown.
No call or other communication. I first learned when I had two regular charges (McDs and gas) declined, no fraud alert text. Went online, saw that accts were closed. Telephone inquiry was fruitless. Still waiting on letter, but I think all its gong to say is to submit any questions in writing. At the veryleast, I plan ot write demand letter for my cashback cash, around $150.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:18 pm
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Originally Posted by fearless2357
Been reading a few blogs saying beware about MS'ing the min spend for Amex intro offers. Anyone have any issue with that? Just got the Every Day Preferred card and only need $1k which isn't too bad.
yes, stay away from any GC or MS for the minimum spend for Amex cards. Otherwise you run a significant risk of Amex denying you the sign up bonus.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:18 pm

You can choose to disbelieve or argue but what your understanding is wrong primarily because you confuse / mix up the derogatory items with the account closed by issuers notation.

Now, you should also NOT to confuse that the person can obtain new card from the SAME issuer who closed the accounts - some issuers would forgive after certain time has passed, some dont. BofA and Barclays dont. US bank and Chase may be. Citi forgives based on the nature of the previous traverse. Take your pick.

Before anybody asks, those information are given by folks who are affected when they seek advice, therefore not something made up or in one's perception but real life DPs.
nothin was confused just lots of hot air from you. You try to put words in my post that never existed. It funni how bent outta shape u got for no redding comp lol
MaxVO likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.