2019 Shutdown Thread

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 1, 19, 6:14 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: FreakingFlyer
Wiki Link
When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and [email protected])
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and [email protected])
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 17, 19, 6:12 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Zgirl View Post
Google "Alex Darr"
Thanks for the shout out Zgirl! I wish I had the bandwidth to spend more time here, and I really appreciate the shout outs from past clients and others who know me.

If I can ever be of help, please feel free to shoot me a message or an email.
PointsLawyer is offline  
Old Feb 19, 19, 12:58 pm
  #62  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 74
Got shutdown by WF today after 5 years of teller only MO deposits.
Lately averaging about $15k per week of WUs and MGs
only one deposit per week
they are closing all my accounts: CCs, checking acts personal and business
maybe bigger volume this year vs last
suggestions for alternatives?

guywhocan is offline  
Old Feb 20, 19, 8:44 pm
  #63  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: SFO/LAX/SAN/LAS/JFK/LGA/EWR
Posts: 308
Originally Posted by Thefirst View Post
Thanks - I just checked and I've been averaging ~$20k / month for about 2 years now, 100% via ATM deposits. No letters yet!
those are also my stats for WF MO volume.

curious for other DPs out there w/ WF MO depo volume. would like to know if ~20k/mo MO depo is "dangerous". basically its over 200k/yr so a little shocking maybe? nothing like 77k/mo, but would be nice to hear a few other DPs to get a feel for whats possible.

Last edited by GundamWing01; Feb 20, 19 at 8:55 pm
GundamWing01 is offline  
Old Feb 20, 19, 9:23 pm
  #64  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by GundamWing01 View Post
those are also my stats for WF MO volume.

curious for other DPs out there w/ WF MO depo volume. would like to know if ~20k/mo MO depo is "dangerous". basically its over 200k/yr so a little shocking maybe? nothing like 77k/mo, but would be nice to hear a few other DPs to get a feel for whats possible.
I was going all out with 5/3 without issues... until I broke 100k in a single month. Not sure what truly got me backed off (I wasn't shut down), but I wasn't surprised when I realized the volume I had deposited.
Melanion90 is offline  
Old Feb 21, 19, 1:25 am
  #65  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: SFO/LAX/SAN/LAS/JFK/LGA/EWR
Posts: 308
Originally Posted by Melanion90 View Post
I was going all out with 5/3 without issues... until I broke 100k in a single month. Not sure what truly got me backed off (I wasn't shut down), but I wasn't surprised when I realized the volume I had deposited.
appreciate the info. pretty sure 100k in one month would get noticed at any bank. so you didnt get shut down? or you mean they gave you a call to stop?
GundamWing01 is offline  
Old Feb 21, 19, 6:47 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by GundamWing01 View Post
appreciate the info. pretty sure 100k in one month would get noticed at any bank. so you didnt get shut down? or you mean they gave you a call to stop?
The manager told me that the risk department said to stop or have my account closed. Since MS is all I use the account for (which the manager knew), she said I can start depositing the MOs again in a few months and they probably won't be watching anymore.
Melanion90 is offline  
Old Feb 21, 19, 11:44 am
  #67  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: SFO/LAX/SAN/LAS/JFK/LGA/EWR
Posts: 308
Originally Posted by Melanion90 View Post
The manager told me that the risk department said to stop or have my account closed. Since MS is all I use the account for (which the manager knew), she said I can start depositing the MOs again in a few months and they probably won't be watching anymore.
thank you again. i like your story because ive heard a few DPs about smaller regional banks being OK with MO depo after full disclosure and conversations about what is going on. wish this was the case with WF and chase.
GundamWing01 is offline  
Old Feb 21, 19, 12:35 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 129
Originally Posted by GundamWing01 View Post
thank you again. i like your story because ive heard a few DPs about smaller regional banks being OK with MO depo after full disclosure and conversations about what is going on. wish this was the case with WF and chase.
I did something similar with a local, one branch bank. Told the manager from day one what I was doing, gave them a crash course on the concept of "fake spend for miles." I was able to do around 5k no issue for like half a year. Then I crossed 10k, and they told me their risk team didn't like what they saw and asked me to stop. I promptly closed. But yeah, sometimes upfront honesty is good, but it still has limits.
ne0ven0m is offline  
Old Feb 22, 19, 12:28 am
  #69  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: SFO/LAX/SAN/LAS/JFK/LGA/EWR
Posts: 308
Originally Posted by ne0ven0m View Post
I did something similar with a local, one branch bank. Told the manager from day one what I was doing, gave them a crash course on the concept of "fake spend for miles." I was able to do around 5k no issue for like half a year. Then I crossed 10k, and they told me their risk team didn't like what they saw and asked me to stop. I promptly closed. But yeah, sometimes upfront honesty is good, but it still has limits.
thank you for sharing. 10k always seems to be a key threshold number.
GundamWing01 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 19, 8:09 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by guywhocan View Post
Got shutdown by WF today after 5 years of teller only MO deposits.
Lately averaging about $15k per week of WUs and MGs
only one deposit per week
they are closing all my accounts: CCs, checking acts personal and business
maybe bigger volume this year vs last
suggestions for alternatives?

Wow - you mean you would come in with 15 MOs and deposit them all at once with the teller? That's --- amazing. I do like 4K a week spread over 3 banks so that it's never a crazy amount, but I guess I'm just a small fish out there vs. the hardcore MS people.
pancakeman27 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 19, 9:51 am
  #71  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Salt Lake City
Programs: AS MVP, DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titnmn, IHG IC, Hertz PC, National EE
Posts: 1,465
Originally Posted by guywhocan View Post
Got shutdown by WF today after 5 years of teller only MO deposits.
Lately averaging about $15k per week of WUs and MGs
only one deposit per week
they are closing all my accounts: CCs, checking acts personal and business
maybe bigger volume this year vs last
suggestions for alternatives?

Were you depositing into your personal or business checking?
bworrell is offline  
Old Feb 23, 19, 1:07 pm
  #72  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Programs: All of them
Posts: 979
Originally Posted by pancakeman27 View Post
Wow - you mean you would come in with 15 MOs and deposit them all at once with the teller? That's --- amazing. I do like 4K a week spread over 3 banks so that it's never a crazy amount, but I guess I'm just a small fish out there vs. the hardcore MS people.
That's not totally outlandish for WF. I've done 20-30k deposits at times, and back in the days of unrestricted 5x MS, 300-400k a month is normal. Something else must have been a trigger in this case, that made it appear suspcious.
littlewinglet is online now  
Old Feb 24, 19, 3:26 pm
  #73  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,830
how long is chase shutdown?

trying to figure out if it's worth trying a mailer for Ink Preferred!
lumangoy is offline  
Old Feb 26, 19, 12:00 pm
  #74  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by bworrell View Post
Were you depositing into your personal or business checking?
Personal.

In retrospect, maybe it wasn't the volume that got me shut down. I had cancelled and requested a replacement debit card a couple of weeks earlier. Maybe that put risk dept. eyes on the account. I had a great relationship with the WF branch folks. Will try switching to more mobile deposits/ATMs and less tellers in the future.
guywhocan is offline  
Old Feb 26, 19, 8:25 pm
  #75  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 829
Originally Posted by c2d View Post

yes, stay away from any GC or MS for the minimum spend for Amex cards. Otherwise you run a significant risk of Amex denying you the sign up bonus.
Meh. Grocery is ok, gc.com won't unlock the bonus.
wyogold is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread