Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Walmart Moneycard (Serve alternative) shutdown

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

I've been keeping this one ultra secret, but I think its dead. Was directly confronted by CSM today at "large store" and told not to load VGC's. Appears registers are now hard coded. Would appreciate confirmation from those of you out there who were in on it. Prefer PM direct to me. My card was black in color.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:41 pm

Is the other version of the card blue? I didn't have one but I can ask the person that I know that was doing it... if you confirm.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:41 pm

Moneycard

Walmart money card not exactly a secret
msp3 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

wasn't sure how secret it was and with all the flak people get when they blow a secret.... just wanted to play it safe. but yes, walmart moneycard.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:14 am

If it's the preferred moneycard, it's not dead for me since I just sent a B/P today; it has always been very reliable with billpays. If I were you, I'd try again at another WM or NM to see if your card is still working. AFAIK when you're shutdown, you'll see a note in your account that your ability to load has been suspended and they tell you to call the number at the back of your card. If you don't see such message in your account either on the desktop or app, it means your account is still active.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips, but it’s not the card being shutdown, rather I can’t load money to it from a vgc because the csr says the register is hard coded to prevent meta bank vgcs
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by 3sgtekb
Thanks for the tips, but it’s not the card being shutdown, rather I can’t load money to it from a vgc because the csr says the register is hard coded to prevent meta bank vgcs
in that case, try other WMs, I can assure you they have not disallowed VGCs to load any prepaid. It may be THAT store only, there are reps that make their own rules, you don't have to argue with them and either try another register or another store.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:30 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I just wonder if it is even possible to hard-code the register to block Gebit cards and allow bank debit cards to go through. I've not seen it. Customers can still be able to use those Gebit cards to make regular purchases.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
I just wonder if it is even possible to hard-code the register to block Gebit cards and allow bank debit cards to go through. I've not seen it. Customers can still be able to use those Gebit cards to make regular purchases.
Vanillas are hard coded to not work for MOs are reloads, but work for other purchases.

If they want to block others, they probably can. Maybe someone high up is an MSer
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Vanillas are hard coded to not work for MOs are reloads, but work for other purchases.

If they want to block others, they probably can. Maybe someone high up is an MSer
I think this is only possible at MC. MC machines are different from regular registers. There are more functions than regular ones.

It would not make sense to block Vanillas from regular purchases.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:51 am

I doubt they will disallow VGCs because they also sell gebits and lots of people may be using these to pay for their grocery purchases. While the USPS was successful in weeding out MSers, this giant corp won't likely do that because it'll affect their business operations should they ban the use of gebits. I don't think they'll "cut off their nose to spite their face".
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I doubt they will disallow VGCs because they also sell gebits and lots of people may be using these to pay for their grocery purchases. While the USPS was successful in weeding out MSers, this giant corp won't likely do that because it'll affect their business operations should they ban the use of gebits. I don't think they'll "cut off their nose to spite their face".
Has anyone tried to use VVGC to pay for stamps at USPS? Or USPS systems block the cards from Meta and other prepaid card issuers?

If VVGC is blocked to pay postage, then we can certainly complain to VISA about this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
I think this is only possible at MC. MC machines are different from regular registers. There are more functions than regular ones.

It would not make sense to block Vanillas from regular purchases.
I tried to load a prepaid with a Vanilla at a regular register and it doesn't work, it defaults to credit.

Maybe that's how they're 'blocking' it, by defaulting to credit.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I tried to load a prepaid with a Vanilla at a regular register and it doesn't work, it defaults to credit.

Maybe that's how they're 'blocking' it, by defaulting to credit.
I'm not sure how the whole thing is programmed. WM can tell what card you are loading, BB, Serve or the MoneyCard. It can also tell the GCs you are using, maybe from the issuing banks. The most recent DPs are favorable.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:44 pm

It’s pretty hard to block and hardcode all the BINs whether it’s at WM, the PO,or grocery stores.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.