Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

MO had stop payment placed by the issuer? Help appreciated

Old Nov 29, 18, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

I have two WU MOs i recently got from local grocer. One I mobile deposited one into WF the other day, The second one i didn't deposit because I was going to use it to pay rent.
Unfortunately today got a notification today from WF that there is a stop payment on the MO and it's being returned.......
When I called WU they said there is in fact a stop payment on both of the MOs (good thing I didn't give the second one to landlord yet).

I went to the grocer and they said they don't have any issues on their end and for me to call WU. I called WU and they told me to go back to the grocer.

I'm kind of in a loop now on what to do. Anyone ever have this before? I'm not sure how there's a stop payment on the MO, did the grocer do this?
WU won't tell me who put the stop payment either so I can't confirm who it was.
It's obviously 2k so It's concerning...
Old Nov 29, 18, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by zerbaxa View Post
I have two WU MOs i recently got from local grocer. One I mobile deposited one into WF the other day, The second one i didn't deposit because I was going to use it to pay rent.
Unfortunately today got a notification today from WF that there is a stop payment on the MO and it's being returned.......
When I called WU they said there is in fact a stop payment on both of the MOs (good thing I didn't give the second one to landlord yet).

I went to the grocer and they said they don't have any issues on their end and for me to call WU. I called WU and they told me to go back to the grocer.

I'm kind of in a loop now on what to do. Anyone ever have this before? I'm not sure how there's a stop payment on the MO, did the grocer do this?
WU won't tell me who put the stop payment either so I can't confirm who it was.
It's obviously 2k so It's concerning...
Although you're going to have to play some gymnastics, you're going to be fine. Your worst case scenario is filing disputes/fraud at the debit card level.

Likely grocery or loss protection flagged your MO as fraudulent, and you're not talking to the right person yet. But the biggest thing is - you are going to be fine and will be made whole - you just have to play get to the right person. Might need to roll a call to WU from the grocery store.
Old Nov 29, 18, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why not call WU from the grocery store and get it worked out on a 3-way call?
Old Nov 29, 18, 6:53 pm

I had two MOs returned by BoA, called MG and they were “good.” Deposited at WF and no issues. Did another deposit at BoA and the receipt stated a hold was placed on $2k because “check specific information indicates item may be returned.” I’ve had this account for years and have done MO deposits without prior issues. Not sure what is going on.
Old Nov 30, 18, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

As an update:
We called WU from the grocer. Grocery rep was talking to WU CS.

Shortly after, the Grocery manager came to me, introduced himself, and said he got in touch with corporate and they said its because we paid with giftcards that it got flagged.

That's probably not the real reason why it got FLAGGED since we've done many thousand via GCs but ok whatever)...
Probably the rep who issued it was unsure of the limits (2k vs 3k reporting) and it got raised up to the manager who look further into it and noticed the consistent amounts being purchased regularly and put a stop payment with WU on this one.
In the end they were really nice and apologized for the inconvenience and reissued the MOs to us. But that's definitely a grimey thing to do to put a stop payment on the MO.
We got the 2k back but in effect burned the bridge to the place 2 mins from us.... Now to look for other places.
Old Nov 30, 18, 12:12 pm

Thanks for the update but sorry about the store that’s burned.
Old Nov 30, 18, 12:18 pm

Which grocery store is issuing $1K MOs? All grocery stores I know have the max for MOs at 500. Only WM is selling up to $1K
Old Nov 30, 18, 12:31 pm
Hyatt 5+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

OP, were you hit with bank fees for stopped item?
Old Nov 30, 18, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
OP, were you hit with bank fees for stopped item?
yes 12$. WF will probably refund it when I call and ask.
Old Nov 30, 18, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by zerbaxa View Post
As an update:
We called WU from the grocer. Grocery rep was talking to WU CS.

Shortly after, the Grocery manager came to me, introduced himself, and said he got in touch with corporate and they said its because we paid with giftcards that it got flagged.

That's probably not the real reason why it got FLAGGED since we've done many thousand via GCs but ok whatever)...
Probably the rep who issued it was unsure of the limits (2k vs 3k reporting) and it got raised up to the manager who look further into it and noticed the consistent amounts being purchased regularly and put a stop payment with WU on this one.
In the end they were really nice and apologized for the inconvenience and reissued the MOs to us. But that's definitely a grimey thing to do to put a stop payment on the MO.
Yeah, that was grimey to put a stop payment when they realized you've been paying with GCs for your MOs. Did the bank charge penalty for the stop payment? If they did, you ought to charge this to the store since you deposited the MO in good fate that it was legitimately funded. I prefer a store that would just reject selling MOs to me rather than them put a stop payment due to suspicions of fraud; I've gone through this and said thanks for telling me and quit going there. I'm glad the other branches of the store were not affected.

I'm pretty sure the multiple swipes caused them to look into the debit cards swiped because it's very rare for most people to do multiple swipes of DCs for paying their bills and/or MOs. It would've been a nice gesture if they gave a warning and it's up to customer to heed it. It's still objectionable for any store to sell MO, accept payment of DCs with PIN and then put a stop payment for whatever reasons.
RedSun likes this.
Old Nov 30, 18, 1:03 pm

So I figure they can tell where the funds come from, say from Chase bank, or from Metabank (as GC?).
Old Nov 30, 18, 1:30 pm

So I figure they can tell where the funds come from, say from Chase bank, or from Metabank (as GC?).
I'm sure if they run reports with details they can.

At a local grocery, I think it was last year, a manager helped me with MOs and she was able to tell from her terminal that it was a Gift Card, because the Name says Gift Card.
Old Nov 30, 18, 1:33 pm

You may consider writing a letter to WU and complaining about their agent (the GS). I wouldn't mention the GCs, just that the GS unjustifiably initiated the stop payment, inconvenienced and embarrassed you, etc. Provide WU an amount that you think would compensate you for time, inconvenience, etc. ($250?) Tell them if you don't hear back from them, you will pursue with the appropriate State regulator of money transmitters. Extra points if you get a lawyer to put letter on his/her letterhead.
Old Nov 30, 18, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat View Post
You may consider writing a letter to WU and complaining about their agent (the GS). I wouldn't mention the GCs, just that the GS unjustifiably initiated the stop payment, inconvenienced and embarrassed you, etc. Provide WU an amount that you think would compensate you for time, inconvenience, etc. ($250?) Tell them if you don't hear back from them, you will pursue with the appropriate State regulator of money transmitters. Extra points if you get a lawyer to put letter on his/her letterhead.
If the store clearly stated that no GC allowed, then the buyer willingly violated, then it is a rather weak argument... But you should get your $$ back and never see each other again.
Old Nov 30, 18, 3:22 pm

If the store clearly stated that no GC allowed, then the buyer willingly violated, then it is a rather weak argument... But you should get your $$ back and never see each other again.
This whole business about stores (MO agents) not allowing the use of PIN-enabled, bank-issued, VISA-branded prepaid cards for transactions where debit cards are accepted UNAMBIGUOUSLY CONTRADICTS the "honor all cards" rule that governs merchant acceptance. Of course, you'll never win this argument with a store-level employee, and MSers generally don't want to fight the store. But a rule is a rule, and stores really should be held accountable for constantly breaking this one.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: