Citibank CC to buy GC's

Old Oct 10, 18, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Citibank CC to buy GC's

Hello,
How strict is citi on their cc's being used for meeting msr's ? Not a huge amount but say $4-5k in 2 months?
Finding less dp's on this vis-a-vis the info available for chase , amex, BoA.
Old Oct 11, 18, 3:37 am

Citi does not have any known rules on how you meet MSR's. But it's difficult to buy GC or anything else in retail with a new card due to their freakishly sensitive fraud triggers. You can find DPs on that issue and tips not to trigger fraud alarms in threads for specific Citi cards.
You may also find it much easier to meet MSRs online, thus saving yourself hours of time on the phone with India or Phillippines (Citi default call centers).
Old Oct 11, 18, 6:48 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
CITI (AA Advantage card) is a no-go for me to buy SMGC's.
Every time I try to buy one or more of them, CITI declines the purchase and I have to confirm with them that the purchase is legitimate. However, when Simon gets a decline on a credit card, you cannot use that card again for 24 hours, making it impossible to use for GC purchases that day.
No matter how hard I have tried to preempt Citi in order to prevent their declining the purchase, I have never succeeded no matter how small the GC amount.

So I have no idea if you can use CITI cards for MS. I can't.
Old Oct 11, 18, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
CITI (AA Advantage card) is a no-go for me to buy SMGC's.
Every time I try to buy one or more of them, CITI declines the purchase and I have to confirm with them that the purchase is legitimate. However, when Simon gets a decline on a credit card, you cannot use that card again for 24 hours, making it impossible to use for GC purchases that day.
No matter how hard I have tried to preempt Citi in order to prevent their declining the purchase, I have never succeeded no matter how small the GC amount.

So I have no idea if you can use CITI cards for MS. I can't.
Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
Citi does not have any known rules on how you meet MSR's. But it's difficult to buy GC or anything else in retail with a new card due to their freakishly sensitive fraud triggers. You can find DPs on that issue and tips not to trigger fraud alarms in threads for specific Citi cards.
You may also find it much easier to meet MSRs online, thus saving yourself hours of time on the phone with India or Phillippines (Citi default call centers).
Thanks for the info. Is this the situation when trying to buy GC's thru some grocery / office store too ?
Old Oct 11, 18, 8:42 am

I've not had any issues. It works and points are given.
Old Oct 16, 18, 3:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC, Nat'l EE, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
No issues for me. Citi AA Exec works fine. Multi $5k+ transactions per statement cycle. Only had 1 fraud hiccup early on, where they texted to confirm and I confirmed - for a SMVGC purchase.

Might need to season your card with organic spending first before swinging for the fences.
Old Oct 16, 18, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jtav559 View Post
No issues for me. Citi AA Exec works fine. Multi $5k+ transactions per statement cycle. Only had 1 fraud hiccup early on, where they texted to confirm and I confirmed - for a SMVGC purchase.

Might need to season your card with organic spending first before swinging for the fences.
Originally Posted by Frugal_I_Am View Post
I've not had any issues. It works and points are given.
thanks for the info and recommendations.. always good to have some organic spends to start with ..

Search this Thread