MSing chase Freedom Q4 2018 categories

Old Oct 5, 18, 10:55 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 8
MSing chase Freedom Q4 2018 categories

Joined the forum specifically to ask this since I couldn't find a straight answer:

The chase Q4 2018 categories are Wholesale clubs, department stores, and Chase pay.

Problem for me:

Where I live the closest wholesale club is 50 miles away so that's not gonna work.

There are a few department stores around here, but they only have merchant gift cards to resturants that I never eat at.

That leaves me with chase pay. I went to kroger today and did a test transaction of $1 to see if using chase pay through samsung pay would work (I have a samsung phone) and it did, I got 5x back for my purchase. Is it possible for me to just buy $1500 of VGCs through samsung pay/chase pay at kroger?

But there's a problem.

1. Chase keeps declining large transactions at kroger all the time. I have to call in and try the transaction again. This is extremely annoying. Even if I notify them of a large purchase through their automated phone system, the same thing still happens. Card is declined. Is there some possible way to make sure the transaction goes through? Maybe I can threaten chase to move my spend over to amex?

2. When you use Samsung pay at kroger to buy gift cards, the self-checkout POS system needs someone to come over and check my ID and enter in my drivers liscense. This adds yet another layer of complexity to buying the gift cards, and is the reason I absolutely need the chase transactions to go through just fine.

3. Have any of you had luck with buying Visa Gift cards with samsung pay at walmart? From what i've been reading, walmart will not allow you to use walmart pay to buy visa GCs, but I don't know about using samsung pay to buy Visa GCs. If I could instead head to walmart and buy Visa GCs there using samsung/chase pay, then we could do that instead assuming walmart diesn't need to check my ID like I have to at kroger.

4. I have also heard chase really doesn't like people doing large purchases through a mobile wallet. How true is this?

Is there anything else I haven't thought of to meet this quarters category spend? Would like answers.
stealthyMSer is offline  
Old Oct 6, 18, 4:14 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,959
Many of the questions you have are discussed in this thread:

Chase Freedom 2018 4th quarter 5% categories: Wholesale club, Dept store, Chase Pay

​​​​​​​.....and welcome to Flyertalk!
Steve in Olympia is offline  
Old Oct 6, 18, 6:50 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 523
I pay with Samsung pay at Simon. This moth fee is only 2.95/VGC when you ask.
cashcyclone is offline  
Old Oct 6, 18, 9:45 pm
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Look up - On a ✈ DELTA ✈ jet NOW!
Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Posts: 4,178
I buy $500 SamClub AX cards and dump to NCL as pre-paid on-board credit and after sailing they send me check in full. Yes it takes a few weeks but simple for us #FrequentFloaters
Renes Points is offline  
Old Oct 6, 18, 10:19 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern California
Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
Posts: 2,007
I have dealt with declined grocery charges all the time with Chase. It is just how their fraud software works.

Bottom line is it is $1500 spend over three months.

Crazy how I get to leave my card at home as except for the warehouses, using my physical card is worse.

Good news is I am seeing tap more common now that I have only managed to do a MST once so far. Issuers, why are you not giving us tap physical cards? Oh is the fraud so much less via phone digital wallets?

This quarter is more about Samsung phones though...
rasheed is offline  
Old Oct 6, 18, 10:56 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Posts: 172
Originally Posted by Renes Points View Post
I buy $500 SamClub AX cards and dump to NCL as pre-paid on-board credit and after sailing they send me check in full. Yes it takes a few weeks but simple for us #FrequentFloaters
Do you happen to know if this is possible with DCL?
NeGourmand is offline  
Old Oct 7, 18, 12:33 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by rasheed View Post
I have dealt with declined grocery charges all the time with Chase. It is just how their fraud software works.

Bottom line is it is $1500 spend over three months.

Crazy how I get to leave my card at home as except for the warehouses, using my physical card is worse.

Good news is I am seeing tap more common now that I have only managed to do a MST once so far. Issuers, why are you not giving us tap physical cards? Oh is the fraud so much less via phone digital wallets?

This quarter is more about Samsung phones though...
Other than calling in right before you make a purchase to ensure it goes through, is there anything I can do to make sure chase stops denying my purchases at grocery stores in the future? Maybe if I frequently make large purchases there chase will stop denying me?
stealthyMSer is offline  
Old Oct 7, 18, 3:20 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 243
Chase

Call a supervisor in their fraud dept. Explain the situation. I had same problem with Capone. Finally spoke with their fraud supervisor. All is fine now. Capone is extremely difficult to ms for the 500.00 bonus on Savor card.
barrytuneup is offline  
Old Oct 7, 18, 10:52 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by barrytuneup View Post
Call a supervisor in their fraud dept. Explain the situation. I had same problem with Capone. Finally spoke with their fraud supervisor. All is fine now. Capone is extremely difficult to ms for the 500.00 bonus on Savor card.
Thanks for the idea. I'll try it out.
stealthyMSer is offline  
Old Oct 11, 18, 2:04 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: California
Posts: 244
Originally Posted by barrytuneup View Post
Capone is extremely difficult to ms for the 500.00 bonus on Savor card.
For Savor I did a bunch of Plastiq payments and didn't have any problems (though, afterwards they did set my account as Restricted, until I called in and verified that I indeed am the person who opened the account; not sure if that was just because I used the card number before receiving the physical card).
sbft77 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread