Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Split payments for taxes? (multiple CC for one tax bill?)

Old Sep 13, 18, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone ever done a "split" credit card payment for a tax bill either via Official Payments or Plastiq?

Legit tax bill, but if I could put some on one card and some of it on another, I'd meet the min. spend more easily (New York, large tax bill).

It looks like could do it with Plastiq, but not sure about Official Payments.
Yes, I'm aware that OP has a fee.

The cards in question would be an Amex SPG Business (so I'm aware that Plastiq can be used for this, and only a few other things)
and a CIP card
Old Sep 13, 18, 7:18 pm

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Originally Posted by hurnik View Post
Has anyone ever done a "split" credit card payment for a tax bill either via Official Payments or Plastiq?

Legit tax bill, but if I could put some on one card and some of it on another, I'd meet the min. spend more easily (New York, large tax bill).

It looks like could do it with Plastiq, but not sure about Official Payments.
Yes, I'm aware that OP has a fee.

The cards in question would be an Amex SPG Business (so I'm aware that Plastiq can be used for this, and only a few other things)
and a CIP card
Yes to both. I have made 3 payments with the direct processors for a single ES payment (pay1040 and official payments I think) and, for another quarter, sent 40+ $250ish payments via plastiq. If using a direct processor, you can only make 2 individual payments per processor per quarter, FYI.
hurnik likes this.
Old Sep 14, 18, 2:10 pm

Programs: SWA A-List, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
have you had any issues with getting the payments to post to your IRS account? I made 10 payments over 2 weeks ago and only 9 of them have posted. I am getting worried as the last one to post was on 9/4, 10 days ago.
Old Sep 15, 18, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by TyPo311 View Post
have you had any issues with getting the payments to post to your IRS account? I made 10 payments over 2 weeks ago and only 9 of them have posted. I am getting worried as the last one to post was on 9/4, 10 days ago.

I havenít checked my IRS account to see about posting yet. But I read that it took several weeks for someone else who did a large number of payments to see them on the IRS site. Iíd give at minimum 2 weeks after notification that the check has been deposited (from plastiq) to start to worry about them not being reflected on the IRS site.
Old Sep 15, 18, 1:54 pm

Note that Plastiq is not an IRS-approved payment processor. I would not trust my income tax payments to them, you would not get same protections as those provided by the approved processors. https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-tax...-or-debit-card

Have you considered paying local property taxes with cards, either to generate spend or use GCs? Individual jurisdictions' practices vary widely, but I would bet that almost all allow partial (split) payments. My jurisdiction charges conv. fee for CCs but not for debit cards if paid in person. They also allow pre-payment of next year's taxes, vs. just what's currently due.
Old Sep 15, 18, 4:49 pm

For 1/2 property tax payment, I made plastiq payments payable to the county, delivered to me. I then took that fat stack of 3rd party checks to pay my treasurer in person My county doesnít accept partial payments by mail, but does accept multiple checks in person.
Debit card payments are $2.95/card. MO are pretty easy so thatís typically what I do (unless I can use plastiq for free.)
Old Sep 15, 18, 4:54 pm

You can also prepay next year's taxes as well
Old Sep 16, 18, 6:59 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by hurnik View Post
.... (New York, large tax bill)....
It sounds as if hurnik is asking about a State or Local tax payment, and most of the replies refer to Federal income tax.
hurnik likes this.
Old Sep 16, 18, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Only one of the online processors accepts state estimated tax payments.

I live in California, and unfortunately the California Franchise Tax Board (FTB) is an IT disaster. A few years ago, in the glory days of AmEx giftcards, I did make three separate California estimated tax payment in a particular quarter via Official Payments. I received the email confirmations of the payments from Official Payments. However, the FTB failed to properly credit my payments and this later caused a major hassle. (This is only one of several major errors the California FTB has made over the years.)

So yes, I do think you can split state estimated payments. But I no longer do it because I'm too afraid of another major SNAFU from the FTB. If you try it, hopefully New York is smarter than California.
Old Sep 16, 18, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by NeGourmand View Post
... MO are pretty easy so thatís typically what I do (unless I can use plastiq for free.)
If you already have converted GCs to MOs, just deposit to bank account and be done with it.
Old Sep 17, 18, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia View Post
It sounds as if hurnik is asking about a State or Local tax payment, and most of the replies refer to Federal income tax.
Yes, sorry.

New York State "local" property and school taxes (they're billed separately around here).

While I didn't see a "split" payment option on Official Payment's site, I imagine I could simply submit two separate payments for the total/correct amount.
I know I could do it with Plastiq.

Debating about calling OP to find out for sure.
Or I suppose I could make one payment with OP and the other with Plastiq.
Old Sep 21, 18, 5:18 am
Suspended

My county only accepts one payment per bill
Old Sep 21, 18, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by ChuckMango View Post
My county only accepts one payment per bill
With all due respect, I find that very hard to believe. Example: jointly held property, where each joint owner pays his/her respective share of the tax bill, and wants evidence of payment (cancelled check) for income tax purposes. Ask them how they would handle that situation.
Old Sep 21, 18, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat View Post
If you already have converted GCs to MOs, just deposit to bank account and be done with it.
Paying with MO allows me to avoid an extra $7k of MO deposits every 6 months. It's not more than a 10 minute stop, so it seems worth it to me to use them to pay rather than deposit.
Old Sep 22, 18, 4:27 pm
CDO
Suspended

Originally Posted by tuphat View Post
With all due respect, I find that very hard to believe. Example: jointly held property, where each joint owner pays his/her respective share of the tax bill, and wants evidence of payment (cancelled check) for income tax purposes. Ask them how they would handle that situation.
Im pretty sure mine does either, or at least I did inquire when I was trying to pay with money orders they told has to be all in one check/mo

Search this Thread