Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Missing VGC Purchase from Grocery Store (Blackhawk/AmEx Issue)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Good Morning Everyone,

First time poster. Long time lurker. Apologies if this is not the right place for this question.

I went into my local grocery store to purchase a few $500 VGCs last Wednesday, 9/5. I bought two successfully with one of my Delta Gold's. I went to buy two more and the transaction was declined. My understanding is that either Blackhawk or the grocery store declined the transaction - not AmEx.

I was working with the front end manager, and she told me that the transaction "didn't go through" and she processed a refund onto my second Delta Gold because it looked like one of the VGCs went through and the other one didn't.

I've been watching my AmEx statement for about a week now, and it looks like one of the VGCs actually "went through" and has posted to my account. So instead of seeing a refund for ~1000, I'm only seeing a refund for ~500. I only walked out with the two successful VGCs that I purchased on my first Delta Gold. So, it appears that I am down the ~500 for the time being.

I raised this question on r/churning and saw one response to just wait it out. I've given it a week - I figured AmEx/grocery store/Blackhawk would have figured it out by now and my statement would read +1000 -1000 etc. I think a week is enough to wait it out, but maybe it isn't.

At any rate, I'm just wondering what my next steps should be. Here are a few things I have considered:
1) Go back to the grocery store and discuss what is happening.
2) Continue to wait it out with Blackhawk/AmEx to "figure it out."
3) Dispute the transaction.

Just looking for some advice/feedback/guidance here.

Thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by lessthandan623
My understanding is that either Blackhawk or the grocery store declined the transaction - not AmEx.

I was working with the front end manager, and she told me that the transaction "didn't go through" and she processed a refund onto my second Delta Gold because it looked like one of the VGCs went through and the other one didn't.
This doesn't make sense to me. If it didn't go through, 1) why would a refund need to be processed and 2) why would any VGC load if the transaction was not completed?
Also need to know:
3) How many working $500 VGCs do you have?
4) Did you call AMEX and ask if they declined the transaction?

Either way, give it a few more days then just dispute it. You can go back to the grocery store if you want, but the process for these things is to initiate a dispute. To "Continue to wait it out with Blackhawk/AmEx to "figure it out."" is asking for a lot of time you'll never get back with very little chance of success.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:07 am

And welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Thank you danpeake.

1/2) I agree - I'm confused myself as to why they would need to process a return for just one VGC if the transaction was initially "declined." It's almost like one was approved and one was declined in one order. I'm with you - I would think that the whole order would be declined.

3) As of right now, I have 2 VGCs that work. Based on the math, I should have 3. So one is likely at the store, and is probably long gone by now. Maybe I can just see if I can find a receipt and report that VGC lost/stolen and get a replacement?

4) I didn't call AmEx. The reason why I'm holding off on the dispute is that it's obvious MS. That being said, I don't think L3 data reports from this grocery store. I'm not sure how much that changes when I go to file the dispute.

Thanks!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Is the grocery store Winn Dixie. Had a problem with one of them last week. Transaction just would not go through.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Hannafords
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Folks we can consider this resolved. I was saved by the MS Gods today.

As it turns out, one of the VGCs did in fact activate on the transaction in question. Since I didn't take the VGC home with me, that meant I was potentially down the $500.

The woman that was helping me with the order kept everything, including the VGC that had been activated. So when I went into the store today to talk about what happened, she told me that she still had the VGC. So I took it home. All good!
asot550, msp3 and Clueless12 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:58 am

As it turns out, one of the VGCs did in fact activate on the transaction in question. Since I didn't take the VGC home with me, that meant I was potentially down the $500.

The woman that was helping me with the order kept everything, including the VGC that had been activated. So when I went into the store today to talk about what happened, she told me that she still had the VGC. So I took it home. All good!
I'm very glad it worked out for you! Something similar happened to me at walmart, except the gc and receipt were trashed. Luckily after multiple trips and explanations wmt gave me a cash refund but I definitely learned my lesson to take everything with me if there is ever any issue with a card activation. Don't try and work out which card didn't activate and leave it with the store, just take everything. That saved my butt when it happened another time at a different store.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:23 pm

You need to thank her and buy her a drink. This doesnt happen offen or never at all.
asot550 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:33 am

If something happens, a chargeback should always be a last resort, as chargebacks are what end up ruining friendly stores.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.