Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Offer Staples 10% Clawbacks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:46 pm

Hey there's the guy! I always wondered where the guy was that read all the T&C's for everything they click. Especially considering there's a T&C about every 15 or 20 clicks on the internet.

Originally Posted by Happy
Consumers should READ and KNOW what the terms are because when the consumer click the submit button, it is deemed the consumer HAVE READ and AGREED on the terms. That is why when you apply over the phone or do any upgrade/ downgrade of your cards over the phone, the rep has to read you the full disclosures then ask you "Yes or No" to those terms as your agreement on going ahead or not.

It is the Consumers Responsibility to understand the Conditions and Terms of the cards they are getting. Failing to know the T&Cs is consumer's own fault whether it is due to laziness or due to ignorance, thinking they dont need to pay attention to such things.

You may not like those fine prints but they are there, and to AMEX credit, theirs are the most explicit, unlike Chase or Citi or any other issuers.

Oh, AMEX actually gives you advance notice because said T&Cs are actually also sent to EXISTING card holders as a Notice of change in Terms - the change was in July 2017, well over a year ago.

Chase on the other hand, does not give the Consumer any notice on how it wants to change the conditions on BOTH the ownership and receiving sign up bonus on its Sapphire family of cards, TWICE it does that, - at the eve of the CSR anniversary and again at the time when the early CSR owners have reached their 2nd year anniversary, so to prevent the Consumers pull something wise Chase does not like, in case you have not paid attention to such.

AMEX has been more than adequately notify both the would be cardholders and existing cardholders on the new T&Cs. The change on T&Cs are sent to existing cardholders either together with the monthly statement or if the card did not have transaction at the time, a special mailing was sent to the cardholder for that effect. There is NO EXCUSE that the Consumer wasn't aware of the change or the terms at signing up a credit card product.

f you want to play the game, you need to learn the rules. If you are lazy not want to read the fine print, you bear the consequence. It is that simple.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:05 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by tassojunior
lol...Happy must not have much free time if Happy reads all the thousands and thousands of boilerplate sentences in every contract. I certainly never knew of AmX's clawing back of points if you close within a year.

Anyway I finally got to a nice US customer service rep who overrode all the offshore ones and restored my 50K points as good will. The offer was extended to me as a pre-approved invitation to try the Gold card, I was not told of any 1-year hold rule, and when I phoned in September to get a Delta card and reduce my number of cards with AmX, the csr closing the unneeded Gold account did not disclose (in her reading boilerplate) that I would lose 50K points. I've been an AmX customer for 11 years, have never done any MS, and use my Blue for Biz Plus as my primary card, charging many tens of thousands per year.

I suggested to the csr that she recommend a gentler letter to good customers like me, perhaps mentioning the 1 year rule, instead of the email I got pretty much calling me a fraudster or crook.
I don't see how it is AMEX fault. They have rules, spilled out in T&C. When you apply for the card, you should read it to avoid such confusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.