Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Any Potential Problems with Amassing a Huge Amazon GC balance?

Any Potential Problems with Amassing a Huge Amazon GC balance?

Old Aug 20, 18, 10:05 am
  #1  
RNE
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Posts: 7,907
Any Potential Problems with Amassing a Huge Amazon GC balance?

I have three Chase Freedom cards. I spend $4500/quarter to max them all out. So far, this year's categories occasioned me to buy a lot of Amazon GCs which I post on my Amazon account. My balance is almost $10,000. Will Amazon look askance at this? I'm doing nothing illegal, but still, does it raise eyebrows? If so, I could always switch to other stores' GCs, though none are as useful to me as Amazon's, and I'm not interested in selling GCs.
RNE is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 11:09 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Posts: 3,282
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
I have three Chase Freedom cards. I spend $4500/quarter to max them all out. So far, this year's categories occasioned me to buy a lot of Amazon GCs which I post on my Amazon account. My balance is almost $10,000. Will Amazon look askance at this? I'm doing nothing illegal, but still, does it raise eyebrows? If so, I could always switch to other stores' GCs, though none are as useful to me as Amazon's, and I'm not interested in selling GCs.
What so you do with your Amazon account? (I guess I am not sophisticated enough to know how to manipulate an Amazon balance into a "real" dollar account)

However, if you are spending that amount of money on Amazon products (whatever they may be), then I feel comfortable that they would not care how you funded that spend.

I guess what I am asking is what are you planning on doing with that balance?
radonc1 is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 11:54 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 39
One of my favorite places to lurk is https://www.elliott.org/ and there has been a rash of Amazon gift card issues over there recently. General consensus is be prepared to justify how you got the cards and that you are their rightful owner.
JMorgana is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 12:50 pm
  #4  
RNE
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Posts: 7,907
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
However, if you are spending that amount of money on Amazon products (whatever they may be), then I feel comfortable that they would not care how you funded that spend.
I am simply buying things from Amazon as a need arises. It's really not MS per se. I'm worried it might look like money laundering or something when all I'm trying to do is get Ultimate Rewards. I don't need Amazon closing my account.

Originally Posted by JMorgana View Post
One of my favorite places to lurk is https://www.elliott.org/ and there has been a rash of Amazon gift card issues over there recently. General consensus is be prepared to justify how you got the cards and that you are their rightful owner.
I no longer have paper receipts, but I have credit card statements that show the GC purchases on my Chase Freedom cards, so that's proof, right?
RNE is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 2:25 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 7,598
I've had pretty big balances over there for years. Never been a problem.

Similar reason: I buy GCs at Office Depot.
josephstern is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 8:48 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 177
I get the feeling having a big GC balance makes you a target for them to blacklist. It seems they do this often without much consequence unless you make a big fuss or sue, and that is limited to small claims court thanks to their binding arbitration agreement. Depending on the state you live in, you might only be able to sue for up to 5K in small claims court... I would definitely not have anywhere near a 10K balance with them.
dealhunter32 is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 9:34 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: Northwest, United
Posts: 2,879
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
I no longer have paper receipts, but I have credit card statements that show the GC purchases on my Chase Freedom cards, so that's proof, right?
Maybe, maybe not. Your credit card statements just show that you bought something there, there's no definitive connection to those specific gift cards. It's probably unlikely anything will go sideways (indeed, you might be named Customer Of The Month or something), but if you trigger some adverse action, without receipts, you're in a pretty weak position to negotiate. Now, this is Amazon we're talking about here, a company that purports to treat customers like gold (as opposed to somebody like GreenDot or PayPal, who tend to treat customers like Donald Trump treats his employees).

Still...with $10K on the line, you must like to live dangerously. Way, way too risky for my tastes. If it were me, I'd be freaking out (and I'd have a shoe-box full of receipts).
nwflyboy is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 11:14 pm
  #8  
soy
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: DUB-BOS
Programs: Rapidly decreasing - BA Silver, O6 *G, HH DIA, Mrr PLT, Assorted debris
Posts: 2,520
Keep your receipts and you should be good. Personally I would not want to be holding more in Store Credit (or Amazon Balance) than I would spend in 6 months.
Happy likes this.
soy is offline  
Old Aug 21, 18, 7:29 am
  #9  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Posts: 8,033
Do you have an interest bearing Amazon account that I haven't heard of?
cruisr likes this.
krazykanuck is offline  
Old Aug 21, 18, 8:18 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 74
Maybe it's best to just hold onto the physical GCs and not load them in until you need it? Why the rush to load them in? In the rare case your Amazon account gets shut down or frozen, it'll likely tie up that balance for some time.
cruisr likes this.
Ultraboost is offline  
Old Aug 21, 18, 9:20 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 340
Originally Posted by dealhunter32 View Post
I get the feeling having a big GC balance makes you a target for them to blacklist. It seems they do this often without much consequence unless you make a big fuss or sue, and that is limited to small claims court thanks to their binding arbitration agreement. Depending on the state you live in, you might only be able to sue for up to 5K in small claims court... I would definitely not have anywhere near a 10K balance with them.
Why?
Amazon benefits by people having large gift card balances. I have never read of a shutdown for a large GC balance.
I think if your cards are legitmatly bought as new you will be fine. If you buy even a $10 gift card from a reseller you are more likely to be blacklisted than depositing 10k of cards you bought. Amazon does not tolerate fraud and you risk buying stolen cards when buying from a reseller.
I dont over have over 2k but I go thropugh about 20k a year.
chaser123 is offline  
Old Aug 21, 18, 9:46 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by chaser123 View Post
Why?
Amazon benefits by people having large gift card balances. I have never read of a shutdown for a large GC balance.
I think if your cards are legitmatly bought as new you will be fine. If you buy even a $10 gift card from a reseller you are more likely to be blacklisted than depositing 10k of cards you bought. Amazon does not tolerate fraud and you risk buying stolen cards when buying from a reseller.
I dont over have over 2k but I go thropugh about 20k a year.
Why isn't relevant...the point is that they do. And they have been cracking down on potentially fraudulent gift card usage recently.
JMorgana is offline  
Old Aug 21, 18, 10:43 am
  #13  
RNE
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Posts: 7,907
Originally Posted by soy View Post
Keep your receipts and you should be good.
I'll do that going forward.

Personally I would not want to be holding more in Store Credit (or Amazon Balance) than I would spend in 6 months.
I don't want to either, but I'm struggling to find any other GC that I know I will eventually buy something with, particularly when we're talking thousands of dollars. I spend a lot on travel and dining, but I don't want to buy travel or restaurant GCs with my CF cards because I can get 3% back with my CSR. So, it's smarter to put my CF spend toward things I'd otherwise get no bonus for.

Originally Posted by Ultraboost View Post
Maybe it's best to just hold onto the physical GCs and not load them in until you need it? Why the rush to load them in? In the rare case your Amazon account gets shut down or frozen, it'll likely tie up that balance for some time.
That's a thought, but then my sock drawer would have $10,000+ in GCs.
RNE is offline  
Old Aug 21, 18, 10:58 am
  #14  
RNE
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Posts: 7,907
Chase's Freedom categories have been tough on me this year.

Q1: Gas Stations. I'm retired now and don't drive much. I gas up about once a month. My wife drives a fleet car so she pays nothing out of pocket for gas. Therefore, I made little organic spend in that category. Thus, I bought Amazon GCs at gas stations (which wasn't always easy).

Q2: Grocery Stores. It's just the two of us now, so we don't spend a lot on groceries. Plus, we eat out more than we should, I admit. Thus, I bought Amazon GCs at grocery stores.

Q3: Gas Stations (again) and Walgreens. I moved our Rx's to Walgreens, but that's not a whole heck of a lot of spending. Thus, I bought Amazon GCs there.

Q4: Holiday: This is not promising because it might be Amazon (again) in which case I'd have to spend $4500 out of pocket in the face of an existing $10,000+ balance! Now, if department stores are there, that would be a little better.
RNE is offline  
Old Aug 21, 18, 11:42 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: AA PLT, VS Silver, EY Silver
Posts: 791
Is it even worth it to do this? 5x on Amazon is always available at Staples on Chase Ink! It's like giving an interest free loan to Amazon.
Acid is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread