HELOC

Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by gw14
What would the point, to pay the MO fee? Where is the points/miles/CB gain?
I meant pay HELOC with MOs, I'm assuming after purchasing VGCs, then MOs.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by gw14
What would the point, to pay the MO fee? Where is the points/miles/CB gain?
maybe buy GCs with CC, pay CC off with HELOC, and pay HELOC off with MOs made from GCs? Only way Im understanding this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Originally Posted by devastitis

maybe buy GCs with CC, pay CC off with HELOC, and pay HELOC off with MOs made from GCs? Only way Im understanding this.
The goal would be to gain a method to deposit MOs in a way that wouldnt attract too much attention. It seems paying off debt (mortgage, car loan, etc) gets less critical attention. For example, Ive paid close to $50k of mortgage payments with MO, and never had a question. Ive also paid property taxes to the county for $18k over the last year, and theyve never hassled me as long the payment is in full. In contrast, for some checking accounts Ive gotten questions about as little as $2k in MO at a time.
A secondary goal would be to lower my bust out score, which is currently thought to be a risk for shutdown by a bank Im currently enjoying. More than 1 real estate line open apparently lowers a persons bust out risk score according to reddit.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by NeGourmand

The goal would be to gain a method to deposit MOs in a way that wouldnt attract too much attention. It seems paying off debt (mortgage, car loan, etc) gets less critical attention. For example, Ive paid close to $50k of mortgage payments with MO, and never had a question. Ive also paid property taxes to the county for $18k over the last year, and theyve never hassled me as long the payment is in full. In contrast, for some checking accounts Ive gotten questions about as little as $2k in MO at a time.
A secondary goal would be to lower my bust out score, which is currently thought to be a risk for shutdown by a bank Im currently enjoying. More than 1 real estate line open apparently lowers a persons bust out risk score according to reddit.
why not just open checking accounts with local CUs?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
A HELOC is not a guarantee they won't shut you down. I admit I've never read the fine print, but if banks have the slightest whiff of impropriety they can shut you down.

In my case, I had a HELOC at a bank that I was using for MO deposits. The HELOC typically has a 10-year term, after which you can't borrow anymore money but have to start paying it off, and my HELOC timed out on the 10 years shortly before they closed my checking account. They went so far as to block my internet access to even see my HELOC account! I had a high 5-figure balance (acquired in a way having nothing to do with MS) and of course I have to pay it off.

If you have good credit you can get a HELOC at around prime these days, but prime is climbing. Although you could probably make a payment BEFORE taking the advance, which would temporarily leave you with a credit balance, but you wouldn't pay interest. HELOC's usually have significantly lower closing costs than first mortgages.

I think you'd be better off opening bank accounts. When they shut you down, open another. There are lots of small local banks and credit unions.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:42 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by radonc1
....do not think that a bank will pay for them without extracting money from you in some other way (such as making you pay points or charging a substantially higher interest rate).....
In our case the cost was $0, but you are correct that the interest rate formula (prime + X) is higher than others which were available at the time. This served our purpose, because we expect not to use the line, but the interest rate should be a consideration if you are intending to use it.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Originally Posted by mia
In our case the cost was $0, but you are correct that the interest rate formula (prime + X) is higher than others which were available at the time. This served our purpose, because we expect not to use the line, but the interest rate should be a consideration if you are intending to use it.
I spoke with our agent (salesman?) the other day, and our out of pocket cost would also be $0 if we dont use it and keep it open at least 3 years. Seems like there are a few options out there that do them for free. Im leaning toward a few more accounts with local CUs for deposits though.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:50 pm

Opened two "business" accounts a few years ago used exclusively for depositing mmo and paying associated cc bills. No fees and not a single problem with deposits and bill pay. Can easily deposit at their atms that read the m/o's.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.