Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting rid of vanilla gift cards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Getting rid of vanilla gift cards

I lent my friend $500 and he paid me back in vanilla gift cards, 5 x $100 of them the mastercard debit variety. What is the easiest way to convert these back into cash? I'm not trying to earn points or anything.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:43 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by silverwolf0
I lent my friend $500 and he paid me back in vanilla gift cards, 5 x $100 of them the mastercard debit variety. What is the easiest way to convert these back into cash? I'm not trying to earn points or anything.
Your best bets would be Dollar General and Family Dollar. There are some success with Vanilla MC. WM is out since they are both Vanilla and MC.

I do not have experience with MCs since I always try to avoid them in the first place.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
Your best bets would be Dollar General and Family Dollar. There are some success with Vanilla MC. WM is out since they are both Vanilla and MC.

I do not have experience with MCs since I always try to avoid them in the first place.
Can you only buy MO with Vanilla at DG and FD? Or does metas and other VGC work for MO there?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:09 am

Food Lion, if you live near one.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
The easiest way is to borrow $500 from a friend and pay him back with 5 x $100 vanilla mastercards! It worked great for your friend!

or if you live near an Albertson's you might be able to buy MO there with them.
Gig103 and ericdabbs like this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:04 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by wanalaugh74
Can you only buy MO with Vanilla at DG and FD? Or does metas and other VGC work for MO there?
DG (and FD?) have the "Vanilla Load" and you can load the GC to certain pre-paid cards. Metabank works great too. I've never tried MC and other brands GCs other than Metabank and Vanilla. Also not sure about MOs.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I lent my friend $500 and he paid me back in vanilla gift cards, .
Some friend you have, this is better than being paid $20 -$50 at a time I guess.
Pay a bill or two, prepay your cell phone or something.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by mhdena
Some friend you have, this is better than being paid $20 -$50 at a time I guess.
Pay a bill or two, prepay your cell phone or something.
When I get prepaid cards from mail in rebates, I add them as Amazon payments and reload my gift card balance (so that the card is empty ASAP). But not $500 worth.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
The easiest way is to borrow $500 from a friend and pay him back with 5 x $100 vanilla mastercards! It worked great for your friend!
Exactly my thoughts. Give them back to your friend and ask for payment back how you gave it to him. If you didn't give him GCs, why accept them as payment?
cruisr and Caribgrl like this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:39 pm

Dude I would insist that you return the 5 x 100 Vanilla GCs and ask your friend to give you back $500 in cash. Why the hell would he waste more money buying 5 x $100 Vanilla MCGCs and pay the $4.95 fee per card for an extra $25 in total? Why should your friend make your life difficult and make you jump hoops to get your $500 back OR make your friend find a way to exchange the Vanilla MCGCs into $500 cash. Even if you were buying WM MO's with Vanilla MCGCs you lose out on paying $1.76 to buy 2 MOs since you could only do 4 swipes per transaction.
cruisr likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:36 pm

Sorry.. Family Dollar.. i dont get it, why would you take the money from the GC and load it to a vanilla? you then have to buy a MO which is another step.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:33 pm

Folks, the GCs are better than nothing. Dunno why 5x100 instead of 1x500, maybe just miscommunication. But the friend is prolly still broke, just shifted her debt to a CC (which OP kinda doesn't take LOL).
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Don't just get rid of the GCs, get rid of your "friend".

Don't lend people money you're not prepared to not have returned. /thread
Renes Points likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
Folks, the GCs are better than nothing. Dunno why 5x100 instead of 1x500, maybe just miscommunication. But the friend is prolly still broke, just shifted her debt to a CC (which OP kinda doesn't take LOL).
Yes that is true it is better than nothing but what I don't understand is that buying 5 x $100 MCGCs seems premeditated and highly unnecessary. If you had the $500, why not just give it back to your friend in the same way they borrowed it? Why would the friend spend more money wasting $4.95 per card in fees for an extra $25 when they probably don't have $25 to waste. I highly doubt the OP and the friend agreed upon receiving $500 in GC form but wasn't specific that it had to be cash although kinda silly that you would have to go to that level.

$500 may not seem like a lot to you but imagine if you lent someone $5000 and they paid you back in 50x$100 Vanila VGC/MCGC..
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:37 am

Maybe the friend didn't buy the $100 vmgc. It's possible he/she convenienced five people to buy $100mvgc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.