Unloading VGC/MCGC without Walmart

Old Jun 10, 18, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Unloading VGC/MCGC without Walmart

are there any other ways to unload VGC and MCGC? I have around 4k to unload and 2 of my local WM's have become very strict about MO with VGC/MCGC.....

I do not want to waste my time at WM's anymore.....what are the other ways to liquidate VGC?
Old Jun 10, 18, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by ranjanrocks View Post
are there any other ways to unload VGC and MCGC? I have around 4k to unload and 2 of my local WM's have become very strict about MO with VGC/MCGC.....

I do not want to waste my time at WM's anymore.....what are the other ways to liquidate VGC?
regular spend. Pay bills etc
Old Jun 10, 18, 11:25 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA

Originally Posted by briang191 View Post

Not certain this was the answer he/she was looking for.

There are multiple posts on the travails of liquidating VGCs/MCGCs in this thread, as well as others. The bottom line is that if you cannot or don't wish to avail yourself of WM, then you are going to have to find other merchants who will let you purchase MOs with a GC. There are certain grocery stores which will do so, but you have to find them. Few if any are going to give you the keys to the kingdom in this regard.

So if you want an answer, start exploring the merchants in your area and begin testing them.

And of course there is legitimate spend as well
TyPo311 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 18, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
There are certain grocery stores which will do so, but you have to find them. Few if any are going to give you the keys to the kingdom in this regard.

So if you want an answer, start exploring the merchants in your area and begin testing them.
This, especialy in bold!
Old Jun 10, 18, 4:27 pm

great answer!! You could try some grocery stores... Each store in a chain is different. If one Albertsons (for example) says they cant do it.. try another.
Old Jun 10, 18, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by barrytuneup View Post
great answer!! You could try some grocery stores... Each store in a chain is different. If one Albertsons (for example) says they cant do it.. try another.

lmao great answer! Send the op on a wild goose chase
Old Jun 10, 18, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Not certain this was the answer he/she was looking for.

There are multiple posts on the travails of liquidating VGCs/MCGCs in this thread, as well as others. The bottom line is that if you cannot or don't wish to avail yourself of WM, then you are going to have to find other merchants who will let you purchase MOs with a GC. There are certain grocery stores which will do so, but you have to find them. Few if any are going to give you the keys to the kingdom in this regard.

well regular spend is quite obvious, i did not expect this response in MS forum but thanks for trolling i guess? (not you the other guy who replied to go the regular spend route.... like why would anyone need MS when you can regular spend )

I wonder if S&S would allow you to buy MO with VGC, does anyone know? I have also read about citi billpay with debit card......has anyone tried billpay to citi with VGC/MCGC in recent times? is this still an option?
Old Jun 11, 18, 12:08 am

I think another popular way is thru Amex Serve. But Serve has a monthly limit of $5-10k (I forget the exact number), so Serve is ok for small time, but not if you go big time.
Old Jun 11, 18, 8:44 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
(
Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah View Post
I think another popular way is thru Amex Serve. But Serve has a monthly limit of $5-10k (I forget the exact number), so Serve is ok for small time, but not if you go big time.
And to get Serve, you have to qualify for it. If you have been banned by BlueBird, then you are not going to qualify for Serve (I am still on the blacklist).
And it is quite easy to be banned if doing significant MSing with Serve, so forewarned is forearmed
Old Jun 11, 18, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah View Post
thanks admin for moving this to a separate thread! Really appreciate it....

My original serve account was purged during the Amex infamous serve purge a few yrs ago.....my SO's serve is still active, but how do you unload via serve? i won't be hitting heavy on serve...want to unload the 4k i am currently sitting on....

If i need to again reload at WM its not an option as my local WM has become very strict to see the "debit" card before i swipe....
Old Jun 11, 18, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

lmao great answer! Send the op on a wild goose chase
Actually that poster was spot on. and its no different then telling someone that with Wally what you find by 1 might not be the case with another.what works today may not tomorrow. Ive had Wallys that were dead for ages spring to life, and yes a couple that were great simply die on me

even teh same chain may work w/o any problems in 1 city or state and not in another.

So the best advice is actually what was posted, go store to store and chain to chain till you find what will work and what wont

Now if the question was using Vanillas at Wally and they posted try it out, then Id agree 100% with you, but as it stands I disagree completely and I myself still do Trail & Error everywhere

IMO finding a supermkt or other type of store that will take a MC for a MO is alot easier and less problems then dealing with Wally and potentially burning a source for unloading non MCGCs, no tricks needed to be performed
Old Jun 11, 18, 10:55 am

Programs: Lots

This. But do it slowly and with small amounts at a time so as to not burn the avenue for others.
Old Jun 11, 18, 4:03 pm

Serve can be loaded at any checkout lane, while money order/bill pay can only be purchased at customer service/ money center. Don't write off Serve reload because you can not purchase money order at WM.
In my place, customer service/ money center are trained to not take gift card, but regular checkout lane are much easier to liquidate the gift card. Except sometime regular checkout cashiers do not like to do transaction in thousand, and will redirect you to money center.

thanks admin for moving this to a separate thread! Really appreciate it....

My original serve account was purged during the Amex infamous serve purge a few yrs ago.....my SO's serve is still active, but how do you unload via serve? i won't be hitting heavy on serve...want to unload the 4k i am currently sitting on....

If i need to again reload at WM its not an option as my local WM has become very strict to see the "debit" card before i swipe....
Old Jun 11, 18, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA PPro. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I've pondered this also. What concerns me is that I could get caught with a large inventory of SMGC's and suddenly have my local WM's do a 180-turn on me. I'd be happy to have a backup that's a reliable way to liquidate about $1K/week. I sometimes have as much as high 5 figures of GC's and I could handle needing a year to unload them, but if I did it with regular spend it could run 3 years and that would be a very long time to be floating the cards (and paying the interest on the money I'd have to borrow).
Old Jun 11, 18, 5:01 pm

you can load your SO's serve if you have either Dollar Gen and/or Family Dollar. Take note, both stores just like WM or any other store can be YMMV in terms on allowing VGC loads. If you find one that is at least "train-able" and will allow loading with VGC, you can start draining your $4K. If the Serve acct has been dormant for a while, be careful that you don't trip the alarm by loading too much too soon.

Search this Thread