Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Serious problem with US Bank Visa gift cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serious problem with US Bank Visa gift cards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChuckMango
Ip ban kicks in once the velocity limit gets triggered.
VPN should solve the issue
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by EL3V3N
I just registered a card last night from the same IP I used a few months ago and it blocked. The IVR process also failed, but the human was able to register it and she said she didn't see any problems with the card.

For the next one I tried registering over TOR but it didn't work (no error from the website, the browser just wouldn't submit, maybe it was getting routed overseas which they didn't like).

I think VPN is the next thing to try.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by krellboy
I just registered a card last night from the same IP I used a few months ago and it blocked. The IVR process also failed, but the human was able to register it and she said she didn't see any problems with the card.

For the next one I tried registering over TOR but it didn't work (no error from the website, the browser just wouldn't submit, maybe it was getting routed overseas which they didn't like).

I think VPN is the next thing to try.
I posted in a diff thread that a day later the card had somehow reset itself and it worked. Try incognito though.
Old May 4, 2021, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
US Bank has blocked my phone number from calling them as well. It immediately hangs up. I have to call from my wife's phone. Blocking Caller ID doesn't prevent it. Anyone have this issue and able to get them to unblock? Really annoying for how much I've spent on their gift cards over the years!
Old May 8, 2021, 1:55 pm

I have Amex and many of my payees don't take it. I buy US Bank Visa's at the grocery store with my Amex to get around this. Here is the problem, sometimes they just stop registering.
So, if you're not MSing, just need a card to use where they don't take Amex, just buy a GreenDot Visa from WM or a Metabank Visa from a grocer, neither which are subject to weird registering issues. May want to grab from further back on the rack though.
Old May 8, 2021, 7:59 pm

No issues with USB VGCs so far.
Old May 10, 2021, 11:57 am

Anyone know anyplace online where I can buy just one U.S. Bank Visa to test whether it will work for me? I know where I can buy them at a brick & mortar, but it's a bit of a drive just for one, I and others can buy multiples making the trip worthwhile if I know they will work.
Old May 18, 2021, 6:28 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Why do you need to register? I liquidate them right away.
Old May 21, 2021, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by yugi
Why do you need to register? I liquidate them right away.
some at times don't work right away... for whatever reason(s)
Old May 21, 2021, 6:05 pm

Wow are people really still having that much trouble with USB VGCs? I mean back then when USB was stupid to list the last 8 digits of the VGC barcode that let folks guess the first 8 digits of the card and easily drain the funds, However USB has done away with that for awhile now and no longer lists any of the sequence of card number in the barcode. Also USB has also put the sticker right over the card number so the user would have to peel off the sticker to reveal the card number and you have to deal with the sticky sticker residue. If u open the packaging and the card has the sticky residue report the card right away to customer service so that would be a tampered card so that the funds are locked and protected. I am very surprised that people are still having this many issues with USB VGCs.
Old May 21, 2021, 6:52 pm

darn, what's the deal with WM or USB vgc? bought 2 on Wed; loaded 1 successfully to BB, 2nd one failed with 'debit not available' at MC; immediately tried gobank loading, again failed. Then, registered & chgd pin, tried again yday & today at MC, but still failed with the same code; not sure if it's a bad card or smthg else? will try again tmrw; if still won't load, will have to go with MO route.

Do folks mostly load usb at regular register? this wk so far, liquidated OD's mcgc daily w/o issue, but usb vgc been inconsistent for me

Last edited by danhouston; May 21, 2021 at 7:14 pm
Old May 22, 2021, 6:04 am
sow

I get card reader error fairly often, both trying the same card at Walmart, FD or grocery. After the $3 sale at Kroger is done I’m never touching them again until another sale. Never had that problem w/ metas.
Old May 22, 2021, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by sow
I get card reader error fairly often, both trying the same card at Walmart, FD or grocery. After the $3 sale at Kroger is done I’m never touching them again until another sale. Never had that problem w/ metas.
yea, only bought usb when kroger offered sale / coupon; otherwise, the gd vgc at wmnm has worked 100% for me so far
Old Aug 29, 2021, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by EL3V3N
Yup! I just cycle the IP for each card, works great. Haven't been blocked again since.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 6:14 pm

I have Amex and many of my payees don't take it. I buy US Bank Visa's at the grocery store with my Amex to get around this. Here is the problem, sometimes they just stop registering. You get a message "We are unable to process this request. Please call the phone number on the back of your card for additional assistance." At this point the card is useless for online use. You can still call in and set a PIN.

Once a card has failed in this way it is "marked" and the IP address which the transaction came from is also marked.

Any subsequent registration attempts from a marked IP address will mark all of the cards you attempt to register.

If you take a marked card and try to register it at a new IP address that IP address will become marked.

The only workaround I've found are to use different IP addresses, but I'm running out of locations and IP addresses. They don't seem to be setting any persistent cookies, but just to be safe you might open connections to their site in new incognito windows each time.

I've been avoiding getting a VPN, but registering X cards and then reconnecting to get a different IP might be the most practical solution.

Anyone else seen this?

When I cannot register online, I call the number and after card verification I press 6 and register USBGC on my smart phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.