Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Serious problem with US Bank Visa gift cards

Serious problem with US Bank Visa gift cards

Old Feb 21, 22, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Reporting back. Yesterday, I was able to offload both, the VGC's from Krogy bought 10 days ago that failed at Wally's POS due to PIN issues, and the ones bought that same day for tasting purposes. So we are back to business.

Off course, I did call from my car to change the PIN on all of them, including the ones I had bought days ago and had already been changed. Changed all of them to my normal PIN and I had 6 VGCs with the same PIN. Went into 3 different Wallys and turn them into 3 X $999.00 MO, which were now issued by Western Union, after having one Wally down due to new Money Order machine issues.

But all VGCs issued by US Bank were approved.
​​​​​​

So from now on, PIN needs to be changed before use ... right? Do we need to register it too? or just the PIN change is good enough?
Old Feb 21, 22, 12:57 pm

Reporting back. Yesterday, I was able to offload both, the VGC's from Krogy bought 10 days ago that failed at Wally's POS due to PIN issues, and the ones bought that same day for tasting purposes. So we are back to business.

Off course, I did call from my car to change the PIN on all of them, including the ones I had bought days ago and had already been changed. Changed all of them to my normal PIN and I had 6 VGCs with the same PIN. Went into 3 different Wallys and turn them into 3 X $999.00 MO, which were now issued by Western Union, after having one Wally down due to new Money Order machine issues.

But all VGCs issued by US Bank were approved.
​​​​​​

So from now on, PIN needs to be changed before use ... right? Do we need to register it too? or just the PIN change is good enough?
Old Feb 21, 22, 5:25 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by ufly1 View Post
​​​​​​

Just change the PIN by calling the number on the back of the card and pressing 3 after hearing the balance. Has worked flawlessly in the last 3 days.
Old Feb 21, 22, 6:37 pm

Looks like issues still exist. Bought 2 USB. Tried to change pins (which i never did before). One card was no problem, other didn't verify the 3 digit CCV and im currently on hold. Didn't want to risk getting denied, I've been denied too many times these past weeks
Old Feb 21, 22, 7:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; M Titan; Hil Dia; IHG P, AMB;
Just curious why people keep buying USB GC after lots of tampered card reported. Are you guys trying to hit welcome bonus or MS for program status or grocery bonus or upcoming travels? Im just thinking risk/reward that do not make sense to me. I must be missing something.
Old Feb 21, 22, 7:42 pm

So, here's my best to give an honest answer:

1) Kroger has a very generous self-checkout policy with regards to giftcards. It's by far the fastest way to buy a large amount of gift cards without waiting in a line, talking to a manager, going through some other kind of verification. I even have a kroger affiliate near me that allows mobile wallet purchases.
2) Kroger is the best available source of the USB gift cards and as with everything in churning there are certain applications for those BINs which can't be replicated. There are also promotions and coupons available on occasion which motivate people to buy the kroger USB cards.
3) Not everyone has other options available.
kingscross likes this.
Old Feb 22, 22, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by kingscross View Post
Just curious why people keep buying USB GC after lots of tampered card reported. Are you guys trying to hit welcome bonus or MS for program status or grocery bonus or upcoming travels? Im just thinking risk/reward that do not make sense to me. I must be missing something.
It's my only way of MS. I have a minimum spend to reach on my Capitol One Venture X... 10k. Real pain in the arse
kingscross likes this.
Old Feb 23, 22, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by kingscross View Post
Because we are trying to hit Platinum Pro, if not Ex Plat with the new Loyalty Points from AA and not through flying a ton, LOL. Fly enough leisure routes that Platinum Pro will be a huge perk to have. Also, because there are a couple of Non Amex SUBs to get to, and it is a super easy way of doing it.

Look at it this way, if you call and one of the multiple VGCs from Krogy (US Bank) is compromised, they will reissue it immediately leaving you with the remaining ones to cross the street and liquidate at Wally via Split payment for a $999 Money Order and avoid cards to be depleted by fraudsters ... easy peasy
kingscross likes this.
Old Feb 23, 22, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Tectomoc View Post
So, here's my best to give an honest answer:

1) Kroger has a very generous self-checkout policy with regards to giftcards. It's by far the fastest way to buy a large amount of gift cards without waiting in a line, talking to a manager, going through some other kind of verification. I even have a kroger affiliate near me that allows mobile wallet purchases.
2) Kroger is the best available source of the USB gift cards and as with everything in churning there are certain applications for those BINs which can't be replicated. There are also promotions and coupons available on occasion which motivate people to buy the kroger USB cards.
3) Not everyone has other options available.
My local Kroger has put a $400 limit on GC buys thru self checkout…..must buy at CS desk…..Started few months ago. Was so easy peasey to buy $2k in less than 30 seconds before the change. Albertsons/Safeway in my area never allowed VGC buys thru self checkout…CS a desk only.
Old Feb 23, 22, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Tduenas4520 View Post
Looks like issues still exist. Bought 2 USB. Tried to change pins (which i never did before). One card was no problem, other didn't verify the 3 digit CCV and im currently on hold. Didn't want to risk getting denied, I've been denied too many times these past weeks
the compromised USB VGC issue can never be resolved if USB doesn't randomize the card numbers. the CCV verification dilemma for compromised card replacement is sort of resolved by providing the last 8 digits of barcode when calling them. USB card has 23% of compromised card rate from my own limited data sample. for your case, 1 out 2 so 50% of compromised rate.

Last edited by DSMguyms; Feb 23, 22 at 7:28 pm
Old Feb 23, 22, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by DSMguyms View Post
the compromised USB VGC issue can never be resolved if USB doesn't randomize the card numbers. the CCV verification dilemma for compromised card replacement is sort of resolved by providing the last 8 digits of barcode when calling them. USB card has 23% of compromised card rate from my own limited data sample. for your case, 1 out 2 so 50% of compromised rate.
DITTO!!! Have to be a masochist to keep dealing with USB cards IMHO. Calling, on hold and then waiting for new cards to be issued. The new Vanillas issued by MB and Sutton Bank sold at CVS and Albertsons/Vons/Safeway and other stores work fine at Walmart and grocery stores..no swipe issues. I will never go back to USB unless they do make card numbers random…idiocy on their part. The scammer’s laughing all the way while liquidating USB cards.
Old Feb 24, 22, 1:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; M Titan; Hil Dia; IHG P, AMB;
Originally Posted by Lovelabs2 View Post
DITTO!!! Have to be a masochist to keep dealing with USB cards IMHO. Calling, on hold and then waiting for new cards to be issued. The new Vanillas issued by MB and Sutton Bank sold at CVS and Albertsons/Vons/Safeway and other stores work fine at Walmart and grocery stores..no swipe issues. I will never go back to USB unless they do make card numbers randomidiocy on their part. The scammers laughing all the way while liquidating USB cards.
Maybe the scammers are regular readers on FT too. USB is their Disney.
Old Feb 24, 22, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by DSMguyms View Post
Still at less than 1% with them in the last few years. Only one card bought at Ralphs in Cali was compromised and actually had funds removed. Went through all the process and got a new card with my name on it. Other than that one, I have never had problems with USB VGCs from Krogy. Of course, always drain them in the next couple hours after buying them. The most recent one was a VGC that had a pre-authorization on an IHOP in El Cajon, CA for $0.93 cents. when I saw this, immediately bought a MO at Wally for $498.07 and wrote off the $0.93 cents

The VGC from two weeks ago, ended up not being compromised and just rejected due to PIN issues. Changed the PIN again and drained it a couple days ago without a problem with other VGCs. So we will keep buying VGC's at Krogy self service check out for the time being.
Old Feb 24, 22, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA

The VGC from two weeks ago, ended up not being compromised and just rejected due to PIN issues. Changed the PIN again and drained it a couple days ago without a problem with other VGCs. So we will keep buying VGC's at Krogy self service check out for the time being.
you are lucky. I stopped dealing with USB due to the bad luck lately for so many compromised USB cards. still waiting for the mails of a few replacement of compromised USB cards.
Old Feb 25, 22, 3:30 pm

Business as usual yesterday with USB cards after calling to change PIN and draining shortly after. Will report back, $6500 and I think I'm done with MS for a while

Search this Thread