Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Serious problem with US Bank Visa gift cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serious problem with US Bank Visa gift cards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2022, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Honeybadger1
Soo it seems that we all experience symptoms of the same disease...

These problems are not originating in the grocery store. They are at the back end of USB. Database scraping/hacking of GC numbers. I don't believe this situation will persist for the good reason that we fellow ms monsters are the source of their profits...the racks at most local Kroger are no longer depleted over the week as they used to be LOL! Still it's annoying and timewasting and I hope whoever came up at corporate with the "idea" of using last four digits as PIN is now regretting their naievite.
other VGCs also use last 4 digits as PIN and don't have issues as USB ones. the primary reason for USB to be hacked easily is that their numbers are sequential on the 2nd to last digit,
last digit is just check digit. basically anyone who grabbed one USB from grocery store can figure out next several valid USB cards.
for example, I grab one USB card with number 4030 1111 2222 1231, I can figure out 4030 1111 2222 124X (X is check digit and can be calculated out easily with a unique solution) and 4030 1111 2222 125Y etc.

Last edited by DSMguyms; Feb 15, 2022 at 5:50 pm
Old Feb 15, 2022, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Honeybadger1
Soo it seems that we all experience symptoms of the same disease...

For almost three weeks in my area it was not possible to use the USB GC either at Wally or Kroger in the normal ms way. Error messages at Wally varied from #57 to #1 but always the same result, not authorized. Meantime the cards worked at StarBs and other small debit purchases. Even during this period it was occasionally possible to cash for small residuals 30USD or so during MO purchase. At that time VV worked normally at all locations.

Reports here vary on timing and area of the blocking (e.g. from this thread it seems PacNW on Jan 24th, southwest a few days later, midwest very little or no blocking). This reaction seems related to the proportion of fraud attempts on the cards that were already in the grocery rack because at one location I bought eight and they all were blocked because of pre-purchase attempts at use. Others on this thread have described the similar inconsistency.

So it would seem the blocking was initiated by USB because I observed it started at the same instant, well within 10 mins, at Wally (MoneyGram) and Kroger (WU). Seems unlikely both MO issuers blocked the same way at the same moment, but possible maybe.

During this period I had loads of USB GC to liquidate and I had to use the intermediate step (VV at WalGs) and then cashing out. Obv not good timewise and inefficient but for a while it looked like a permanent block was a possibility and I had to billpay AX you know the drill...

The last two days I have been able to cash out USB for MOs at both Wally and Kroger but only with cards either a) replaced and with new PIN assigned after calling in or b) with specific new cards, never the default silver-black packaged ones that seem to have a very high proportion of inactivated cards. I have located one row of a different design at my grocery that now work consistently but I am holding off on larger-scale USB use until this cools off and I get all my inactivated cards replaced. I still have a number in their replacement "pipeline" after calling in to register them and request. The replacement timeframe is definitely seven business days or more.

The reason for the sudden surge in USB GC fraud may be the recently-introduced system of using last four digits of the card number as the debit PIN by default. This greatly simplifies the coding task of the scamscripters and let's be real here the timing and "response" of USB circumstantially supports this view. First USB block everything, in panic, and with no notice, then they take temp measures to mitigate by enforcing callins for new PIN. That's basically returning to their own old system that worked well enough you know with the small tearoff paper with a separate PIN number inside the package.... and now they have a massive backlog that their call centers in PI, India and even US can't manage. I've talked with all three locations these past two weeks at length as I bet you have.

These problems are not originating in the grocery store. They are at the back end of USB. Database scraping/hacking of GC numbers. I don't believe this situation will persist for the good reason that we fellow ms monsters are the source of their profits...the racks at most local Kroger are no longer depleted over the week as they used to be LOL! Still it's annoying and timewasting and I hope whoever came up at corporate with the "idea" of using last four digits as PIN is now regretting their naievite.
I agree totally that scammers are getting the card numbers online thru algorithms and NOT by placing compromised cards on store racks….as noted in my and your posts. Yes replacing the pin on card stock inside package with last four of card has made the scammer’s job sooooo much easier now. When I do buy USB..which is never lately… I never buy the generic silver package….always buy different designs that still use pin inside package.. Of course Vanillas use the pin of your choice so in my mind these cards are safest to use. MB uses last four numbers and can also be compromised, but I haven’t seen anything indicating much fraud with MB.

What I don’t get is the scammers trying to use a cloned card weeks before it’s been purchased and activated even if they have the numbers. I get that USB can see these attempts on an unactivated card and then block that card when actually purchased and activated for real.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:35 am

I sent a message to Kroger social media about this. Store-level management won't get much done, but put this in front of the company and I'm sure they'll get an answer from US Bank quickly
DSMguyms likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by moflyer2k
I sent a message to Kroger social media about this. Store-level management won't get much done, but put this in front of the company and I'm sure they'll get an answer from US Bank quickly
Store management tells customers that BHN controls the card inventory sold in stores. BHN decides what cards are displayed and they replenish racks..not store employees. Kroger stores will not intervene or refund USB cards not working…..all sales are final for all GC not just Visa/MC.

Your message to Kroger may get them to switch from BHN to InComm….to avoid the USB cards…as Albertsons group of stores has done. Other than that they will do nothing for the purchasers of GC who are defrauded or incapable of using GC. In my Kroger store a camera has been installed over the Visa/MC rack with a sign indicating the camera is watching. I presume this is to deter the scammers from tampering with cards.

It’s a real PITA with USB and don’t know when or how USB will fix the debacle.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Lovelabs2
Store management tells customers that BHN controls the card inventory sold in stores. BHN decides what cards are displayed and they replenish racks..not store employees. Kroger stores will not intervene or refund USB cards not working…..all sales are final for all GC not just Visa/MC.

Your message to Kroger may get them to switch from BHN to InComm….to avoid the USB cards…as Albertsons group of stores has done. Other than that they will do nothing for the purchasers of GC who are defrauded or incapable of using GC. In my Kroger store a camera has been installed over the Visa/MC rack with a sign indicating the camera is watching. I presume this is to deter the scammers from tampering with cards.

It’s a real PITA with USB and don’t know when or how USB will fix the debacle.
It may also get them to demand cash to purchase a VGC
Old Feb 16, 2022, 1:08 pm

What do you all do with those "no cvv2 code was received" card? Called their CS multiple times and they are useless.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 1:56 pm

After calling for a week about the declined card and not being able to verify with CVV, and sent in circles to automated system, I finally got a CSR that told me to fax my license, front and back of card, reciept, and ask to register in my name, then call back 3 to 5 days. I went to my Kroger and they also called to get the purchase reference number to verify the card was paid and activated. They also let me use their fax and copier for free. The manager even sat in hold for 40 mins but I had to leave. She is going to stay on hold and call me back if she can get anywhere. I'm never buying one of these cards again.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 2:31 pm

I am so pissed off with the USB CS. They won't even connect me to the supervisor and just disconnected the call.
joyful1235 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 2:38 pm

Fax

Originally Posted by p321
I am so pissed off with the USB CS. They won't even connect me to the supervisor and just disconnected the call.
Only one rep would transfer me to a supervisor. That was on Saturday. She said she would escalate the issue. Today when I called the rep said she could see the notes, but the escalation didn't do anything. It's been exhausting. I've sat on hold about two hours a day for the last week.

Last edited by joyful1235; Feb 16, 2022 at 5:53 pm
Old Feb 16, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
welcome to the club

...it's been a s*** show to put it mildly. If I don't get anywhere in the next week I'm going to file a complaint with the CA AG, maybe they'll be able to do something.
joyful1235 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
...it's been a s*** show to put it mildly. If I don't get anywhere in the next week I'm going to file a complaint with the CA AG, maybe they'll be able to do something.
Oh don’t worry…the CA AG office WILL get your $$$$ back pronto. My state AG office had my $$$ from USB in my hand in less than 30 days.

WHY you people screw around with USB CS is an enigma to me. If one phone call to USB doesn’t resolve your card issue, just file complaint online with state AG office. You will get results faster. They are blocking you from funds you purchased, thru their own incompetence, for whatever half ... reason they give you.
p321 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Lovelabs2
Oh don’t worry…the CA AG office WILL get your $$$$ back pronto. My state AG office had my $$$ from USB in my hand in less than 30 days.

WHY you people screw around with USB CS is an enigma to me. If one phone call to USB doesn’t resolve your card issue, just file complaint online with state AG office. You will get results faster. They are blocking you from funds you purchased, thru their own incompetence, for whatever half ... reason they give you.
I am going to file a complaint to my AG. Which address do you use for their business address?
Old Feb 16, 2022, 5:29 pm

I am going to file a complaint to my AG. Which address do you use for their business address?
U.S. Bank Corporate Headquarters:U.S. Bank
425 Walnut Street
Cincinnati, Ohio 45202
p321, 36902BRF and joyful1235 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA
update: they finally realized their "automatic" cvv2 verification is not working. so they are asking the last 8 digits of the bar code on the back of the card before processing the replacement card. the rep also said best time to call them is b/w 7 to 9 am EST when more of them are available taking the call.
p321, 36902BRF, Lovelabs2 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by DSMguyms; Feb 16, 2022 at 5:44 pm
Old Feb 16, 2022, 6:09 pm

Took me an hour tonight on hold, but I got a rep to replace two of my cards. This is far better than the previous responses I got where they didn't want to do anything because I didn't validate through the automated system
Lovelabs2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.