Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interest Arbitrage via Churning

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Matthew53
Please explain how you would be getting capital gain treatment on bond interest.
Must be a 1-2 year AAA corporate bond that is in default that will go up in price just before it matures allowing a sale with a capital gain. They work just like treasuries if the treasury is Argentina or Venezuela in a debt crisis.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:22 am

I think this is slow and stupid.
Assuming you were able to get the 30k limit on the 3% cash back card, and paying yourself through Ptiq would be a non taxable event, why not just continually churn to earn the .5% cash back. IE charge 30k through ptiq, have Ptiq send you a check, paty back credit card and repeat. You will make much more than the bond investment. You can probably cycle through 2x a month with zero investment risk, earning about 12% on the 30k charge annually. You seem smart, much better ways. I love this game. I have other ways to cash out from Ptiq so that part I know can be done. I am not sure if Alliant will let you cycle though. I have no experience with them.

Good luck
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by physics
This thread lets me drag out one of my favorite "old timer" stories. Back in the good ol' days (early 2000s), you could buy US savings bonds with credit cards directly for a while. No fees, no cash advance. Risk free, and interest rates made it worthwhile (about 5%) (plus miles on the purchase, of course). I bought a bunch (maybe $20000 worth or so eventually) that I was able to float for nearly the entire 5 year vesting period through stringing together a series of introductory 0% (no fee) balance transfer cards. I think I eventually got tired of it, and interest rates dropped, and it got harder to find new BT cards. Fun while it lasted.

But there's no way I'd go through that hassle for the 1% margins the OP is talking about.

Did similar back in the good 'ole days, but only when I could make at least 5% and I kept it short term. Anyone know if the repeal of some of the Dodd-Frank regulations will allow banks to again be able to offer 0% interest AND 0% trans fee on convenience checks to credit card holders? I'm talking about promotional deals they would run (sometimes 12 months or 18 months...), not on initial purchases or balance transfers, but on current credit card holders. And, I'm talking about the big national institutions. Of course, once they started including some sort of fee, the interest rates dropped on CD's for example and it wasn't worth the trouble anyhow. I would always get more than what I would place in interest earning items so I could make the monthly payments with what I borrowed. Not recommended for those about to get a mortgage, equity or other type needed loan, but it was a way that I made money, and banks actually made money too (from a CD investment, for example). It also caused me to stay with the institution that promoted the convenience check and I would use their other cards for spending. It was a good relationship and no one lost money...win-win.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:53 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Margins are Way Too Thin

I can remember the thread on Fatwallet from SisStaplesSucks that laid it all out in the "good old days". 0% balance transfers with $0 fees, We reallocated existing credit to the new cards with the 0% offer and then balance transferred up to 50% of personal card credit limits to savings accounts at 5% to 6%. Business cards we'd take up to 80% of credit limit.

We did $250K at 0% for either 12 or 18 months and made minimum payments only.

$250,000 at 5% = was roughly $12k in interest a year with descending balance based on minimum required payments.

Now THOSE were acceptable margins.
Churnman likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:36 pm

yes those were the good ole days. i remember floating 200k at 9 12 and 18 month terms at 5 and 6% money market accts. banks were so nice to give out zero percent money with no fees. i hope those days come back when savings rates start rising
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:59 am
CDO
Suspended

Originally Posted by locass316
yes those were the good ole days. i remember floating 200k at 9 12 and 18 month terms at 5 and 6% money market accts. banks were so nice to give out zero percent money with no fees. i hope those days come back when savings rates start rising
But your credit score takes a big hit while your floating...
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:52 am

Not So

Originally Posted by CDO
But your credit score takes a big hit while your floating...
Not if you kept your utilization ratio to under 50%
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:36 pm
CDO
Suspended

Originally Posted by ingy
Not if you kept your utilization ratio to under 50%
i though 30% was adviseable, 50% may be a bit too much right? your score will definitely feel it at 50%
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
Originally Posted by ether161
With rising interest rates, I've been considering leveraging Alliant Cashback, Plastiq, and Chase Slate to gain access to 0% interest margin to invest in conservative corporate bonds. The main flow of money is:

Sign up for Alliant Cashback (3% cash back) -> send myself a $30,000 check via Plastiq (2.5% lost to fees) -> buy 1-2 year corporate bonds yielding 2.8% -> transfer Alliant balance to Chase Slate for 15 months of 0% margin -> enjoy the .5% cashback difference and 2.8% interest from bonds to gain a quick $990 in taxable capital gains ($30000*[2.8%+.5%])

Some variables I need help understanding that could erase my thin margins are:

*Alliant classifying the 30k as a cash advance

*Chase Slate limits the 0 fee balance transfer to 30k per card (could open another one with one of my EINs)

*Somehow the IRS considering the entire 30k Plastiq check as income during an audit

What does everyone think about this idea?
Why not buy $MU instead with the borrowed money?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by CDO
i though 30% was adviseable, 50% may be a bit too much right? your score will definitely feel it at 50%
For what we were doing 50% utilization did not beat up our scores too much.. In other circumstances, I'd recommend 30% or less
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: 2% Cash Back by Citi | Chase Business Ink Cash| Amex Everyday Preferred| Chase Freedom| Discover It
Will this card work for Simon gift cards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.