Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Purchasing VISA/MC/AMEX gift cards at a store with apple pay

Old May 23, 18, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance

A simple question - is it possible, now, in 2018, to purchase prepaid/loaded VISA/MC/AMEX gift card at a store with Apple Pay? If yes, where/which stores allow this?
Old May 24, 18, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by invisible View Post
A simple question - is it possible, now, in 2018, to purchase prepaid/loaded VISA/MC/AMEX gift card at a store with Apple Pay? If yes, where/which stores allow this?
My grocery allows it, but anything >= 1000, requires approval. So I only buy 1 per transaction.

you can narrow it down to:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=apple+pay+stores

ymmw

Last edited by lumangoy; May 24, 18 at 6:54 am
Old May 24, 18, 7:07 am
soy

Programs: Rapidly decreasing - BA Silver, O6 *G, HH DIA, Mrr PLT, Assorted debris
Staples allow it.
My local grocery want to check ID versus physical card for anything over $500
Have not tried it anywhere else
Old May 24, 18, 12:15 pm

I'd stay away from doing this, at least with Chas3 cards. I recall seeing a couple of data points of people who were shut down by Chas3 and the trigger for the account review seemed to have been a high dollar mobile payment of a VGC.
Old May 24, 18, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

This is not for Chaise or any other US cards. I am in Singapore, here local Citi has a promotion which awards 8 miles per $1 SGD spent with citi credit cards when payment is done via Apple Pay.

While purchasing Visa card with staples or other place has 3% fee and on top of that 2.5% is FTC, than even with all fees/etc added still make sense to get cards as far as I can spend them while in US.
Old May 26, 18, 11:57 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, Priceline, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Wyndham, Hilton
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Anywhere where NFC works. I successfully do it everywhere with Samsung Pay. However NFC is only supported at a certain stores, like Safeway, Walgreens, but not at CVS, Walmart, 7-11, etc, which is not a problem with SP.
Old May 30, 18, 10:32 am

Wallgreens allow it and so does wholefoods.
Old May 30, 18, 7:06 pm

Office Depot and staples allows apply pay when purchasing gift cards.
Old May 31, 18, 5:33 pm

Wholefoods cashiers are usually a lot more chill than the other ones I've ran into.
Old May 31, 18, 6:02 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, Priceline, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Wyndham, Hilton
Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
Wholefoods cashiers are usually a lot more chill than the other ones I've ran into.
But the max denomination for Visa is $100.
Old Jun 4, 18, 9:34 pm

Programs: Qantas, Southwest, Chase Ultimate Rewards, SPG, Hilton
Not sure about Apple Pay, but I can do it fine with Samsung Pay. However, I should note that AMEX had a bit of an issue with it for a while. They kept declining my purchases (even of one $500 GC at Stop and Shop) due to fraud prevention. I had to explain to them multiple times that I'm making large purchases at the merchant and that they should not bother me any more. It took them several tries to finally leave me alone. So as always YMMV.
Old Jun 4, 18, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by soy View Post
Staples allow it.
Originally Posted by briang191 View Post
Office Depot and staples allows apply pay when purchasing gift cards.
recently went into Staples to check what gift cards they have due to Amex Biz promo, they had signs up saying Mobile Payments are not allow to be use to make gift card purchases... im not sure if its isolated to that store or rolled out to other stores.
Old Jun 8, 18, 11:46 am
CDO
Suspended

What's the point of using nfc? when there's promo?
Old Jun 9, 18, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDO View Post
What's the point of using nfc? when there's promo?
This is not for US issued cards. Citi in Singapore until end of Jul has promo when one $ SGD with Apple pay earns 8 miles.
I am planning to come to US in beginning of Jul, so was exploring different options.
Old Jun 10, 18, 11:02 pm

Not working

I'm in the US now and can't seem to make AP work when purchasing amazon gift cards. I tried in Office Depot and at Rite Aid. Grrr... Going to try with a mastercard tomorrow and see if that works.

Search this Thread