FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Purchasing VISA/MC/AMEX gift cards at a store with apple pay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1910891-purchasing-visa-mc-amex-gift-cards-store-apple-pay.html)

invisible May 23, 2018 11:00 pm

Purchasing VISA/MC/AMEX gift cards at a store with apple pay

A simple question - is it possible, now, in 2018, to purchase prepaid/loaded VISA/MC/AMEX gift card at a store with Apple Pay? If yes, where/which stores allow this?

lumangoy May 24, 2018 6:43 am

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 29788327)
A simple question - is it possible, now, in 2018, to purchase prepaid/loaded VISA/MC/AMEX gift card at a store with Apple Pay? If yes, where/which stores allow this?

My grocery allows it, but anything >= 1000, requires approval. So I only buy 1 per transaction.

you can narrow it down to:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=apple+pay+stores

ymmw

soy May 24, 2018 7:07 am

Staples allow it.
My local grocery want to check ID versus physical card for anything over $500
Have not tried it anywhere else

NoonRadar May 24, 2018 12:15 pm

I'd stay away from doing this, at least with Chas3 cards. I recall seeing a couple of data points of people who were shut down by Chas3 and the trigger for the account review seemed to have been a high dollar mobile payment of a VGC.

invisible May 24, 2018 9:41 pm

This is not for Chaise or any other US cards. I am in Singapore, here local Citi has a promotion which awards 8 miles per $1 SGD spent with citi credit cards when payment is done via Apple Pay.

While purchasing Visa card with staples or other place has 3% fee and on top of that 2.5% is FTC, than even with all fees/etc added still make sense to get cards as far as I can spend them while in US.

yugi May 26, 2018 11:57 am

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 29788327)

Anywhere where NFC works. I successfully do it everywhere with Samsung Pay. However NFC is only supported at a certain stores, like Safeway, Walgreens, but not at CVS, Walmart, 7-11, etc, which is not a problem with SP.

chaser123 May 30, 2018 10:32 am

Wallgreens allow it and so does wholefoods.

briang191 May 30, 2018 7:06 pm

Office Depot and staples allows apply pay when purchasing gift cards.

bluesummer May 31, 2018 5:33 pm

Wholefoods cashiers are usually a lot more chill than the other ones I've ran into.

yugi May 31, 2018 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by bluesummer (Post 29815139)
Wholefoods cashiers are usually a lot more chill than the other ones I've ran into.

But the max denomination for Visa is $100.

audifanatic2510 Jun 4, 2018 9:34 pm

Not sure about Apple Pay, but I can do it fine with Samsung Pay. However, I should note that AMEX had a bit of an issue with it for a while. They kept declining my purchases (even of one $500 GC at Stop and Shop) due to fraud prevention. I had to explain to them multiple times that I'm making large purchases at the merchant and that they should not bother me any more. It took them several tries to finally leave me alone. So as always YMMV.

BuBu4 Jun 4, 2018 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by soy (Post 29789308)
Staples allow it.

Originally Posted by briang191 (Post 29811219)
Office Depot and staples allows apply pay when purchasing gift cards.

recently went into Staples to check what gift cards they have due to Amex Biz promo, they had signs up saying Mobile Payments are not allow to be use to make gift card purchases... im not sure if its isolated to that store or rolled out to other stores.

CDO Jun 8, 2018 11:46 am

What's the point of using nfc? when there's promo?

invisible Jun 9, 2018 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by CDO (Post 29844716)
What's the point of using nfc? when there's promo?

This is not for US issued cards. Citi in Singapore until end of Jul has promo when one $ SGD with Apple pay earns 8 miles.
I am planning to come to US in beginning of Jul, so was exploring different options.

WestofSIN Jun 10, 2018 11:02 pm

Not working

I'm in the US now and can't seem to make AP work when purchasing amazon gift cards. I tried in Office Depot and at Rite Aid. Grrr... Going to try with a mastercard tomorrow and see if that works.