Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Purchasing VISA/MC/AMEX gift cards at a store with apple pay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchasing VISA/MC/AMEX gift cards at a store with apple pay

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by WestofSIN
I'm in the US now and can't seem to make AP work when purchasing amazon gift cards. I tried in Office Depot and at Rite Aid. Grrr... Going to try with a mastercard tomorrow and see if that works.
Did you enable your card for overseas usage? Without it it won't work.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Did you enable your card for overseas usage? Without it it won't work.
Yes... I even called Citibank to reconfirm. MC didn't work either. I think it's hit and miss on which terminals are blocked and not for payment of gift cards by credit card. I never paid much attention on previous trips but I've come to realize that the credit card terminals here are not newer models.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Yes... I even called Citibank to reconfirm. MC didn't work either. I think it's hit and miss on which terminals are blocked and not for payment of gift cards by credit card. I never paid much attention on previous trips but I've come to realize that the credit card terminals here are not newer models.
I've purchased gift cards at Rite Aid numerous times using my phone (Credit card) with no issue. But the denominations have all been small no more than $50 at once.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
I'm in the US now and can't seem to make AP work when purchasing amazon gift cards. I tried in Office Depot and at Rite Aid. Grrr... Going to try with a mastercard tomorrow and see if that works.
OD should be fine with CC. Not sure about RA, haven't been there for a while, after they stopped selling VGCs with CC.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:12 am

I suspect terminals are locked for mobile payment linked to overseas credit cards. I was unable to make apple pay payments for even small amounts at shops in the airport.

Apple Pay only worked on 2 occasions. At the apple store for a large purchase and at Old Navy.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

I suspect terminals are locked for mobile payment linked to overseas credit cards. I was unable to make apple pay payments for even small amounts at shops in the airport.

Apple Pay only worked on 2 occasions. At the apple store for a large purchase and at Old Navy.
I had no problem using Apple Pay with Singapore credit cards in three different countries.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Weeeel... if you travel to Mongolia or Montana you'd definitely avoid the problem....
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:59 am

Haha! No Mongolia or Montana (yet!) but Cambodia, Spain, Turkey and Germany are on the cards before that promo ends so keeping my fingers crossed.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Haha! No Mongolia or Montana (yet!) but Cambodia, Spain, Turkey and Germany are on the cards before that promo ends so keeping my fingers crossed.
It was a reply for another thread but apparently can be applicable here as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.