Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are you getting rid of the SPG Card now?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Mine has been retired and after this new claw back BS from amex im probably going to cancel all together. Sad.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChuckMango
Mine has been retired and after this new claw back BS from amex im probably going to cancel all together. Sad.
Why is it BS, everyone all along knew it was just to be 1 card and 1 time, but the loophole allowed it to be placed onto as many CCs as you have/had. When it worked it was nice but now that they caught on all of a sudden its BS. Sorry Im happy it worked when it did and sad to see it go, but I dont balme Amex 1 bit and Im grateful they arent going back years to clawback those misuses as well
Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:00 pm
CDO
Suspended

Originally Posted by craz
Why is it BS, everyone all along knew it was just to be 1 card and 1 time, but the loophole allowed it to be placed onto as many CCs as you have/had. When it worked it was nice but now that they caught on all of a sudden its BS. Sorry Im happy it worked when it did and sad to see it go, but I dont balme Amex 1 bit and Im grateful they arent going back years to clawback those misuses as well
How is one supposed to know its per card? Clawing back is harsh.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:43 am

It would be pretty dumb to spend on this card after going from 3 pts per dollar to 2. Thats a 33% devaluation. If keeping this card its for anniversary night. Def not for spending. Even chase 1.5x freedom unlimited is better.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by misenlai
....It would be pretty dumb to spend on this card after going from 3 pts per dollar to 2. Thats a 33% devaluation.....
It might be, if the New Marriott points have the identical redemption value as the Old Marriott points did. In any event, the meaningful comparison is not old versus new, but versus other current cards such as American Express Blue Business Plus.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Yep, mine is in the sock drawer and about to get axed
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by EL3V3N
Yep, mine is in the sock drawer and about to get axed
It's a wash to me.

It depends on what you consider a Marriott/SPG night to be worth. I think that if you spend time at either brand, you can make up the annual fee with the free night. So for me, I take the free night and use the card otherwise when I stay at a SPG hotel. They do run occasional card specials as well.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by radonc1
It's a wash to me.

It depends on what you consider a Marriott/SPG night to be worth. I think that if you spend time at either brand, you can make up the annual fee with the free night. So for me, I take the free night and use the card otherwise when I stay at a SPG hotel. They do run occasional card specials as well.
I guess that qualifies as sock drawer! I agree though, wont be putting any spend on mine that's for sure.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChuckMango
I guess that qualifies as sock drawer! I agree though, wont be putting any spend on mine that's for sure.
You may want to put occasional spend on it. Amex now seems to pay attention to whether you just "sock drawer" a card, and if you want to apply for future Amex cards that may affect you. At the very least you may want to check for Amex offers on the card (that you don't get on another Amex card you'd rather use) and use it for those.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:46 pm

Has anyone received their free anniversary night? I was just charged the annual fee and I don't see one in my account.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by doubleheader
Has anyone received their free anniversary night? I was just charged the annual fee and I don't see one in my account.
dp on reddit of delays of ~6 weeks after AF. Looks like you won't be able to cancel for an AF refund and still keep the cert, at least from Amex.

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co..._2018/e70tjuh/
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doubleheader
https://onemileatatime.com/how-to-re...e-night-award/

The eligibility is by Anniversary Date. When the AF is billed has very little to do with the anniversary date because AMEX bills the AF on the 13th month, generally the statement closing date of the cycle the anniversary date falls in.

If your AF is posted the past couple days, count SIX weeks before you see the FN shows up in your Marriott/SPG account - depending on which merged account you have chosen to keep.

Originally Posted by asot550
dp on reddit of delays of ~6 weeks after AF. Looks like you won't be able to cancel for an AF refund and still keep the cert, at least from Amex.

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co..._2018/e70tjuh/
Yup. AMEX is taken a page from US bank's practice. May be soon we will see Chase to follow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.