Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Shell Fuel Rewards Network: MS'ing for free gas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shell Fuel Rewards Network: MS'ing for free gas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up Shell Fuel Rewards Network: MS'ing for free gas

Shell's Fuel Rewards Network is an easy way to get free gas. I haven't paid for a fill-up in months. They have a special right now where you need to link a mastercard and you'll get 15 cents off per gallon for every $100 you spend at participating grocery stores (Safeway, Stop & Shop, Ralph's, etc.)

So for every $1000 you spend of gift cards, you'll get $3 off per gallon of gas (limit 20 gallons). This is a value of $60. This is essentially 6% back.

Oh yeah, there's more. The mastercard you link to can be the Citi DoubleCash card, giving you another 2% back.

Oh, and you also get a "welcome bonus" if you go through a referral link. [Referral link removed by moderator pursuant to Flyertalk rules]

Last edited by cbn42; Apr 22, 2018 at 12:12 am
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by WD41
Shell's Fuel Rewards Network is an easy way to get free gas. I haven't paid for a fill-up in months. They have a special right now where you need to link a mastercard and you'll get 15 cents off per gallon for every $100 you spend at participating grocery stores (Safeway, Stop & Shop, Ralph's, etc.)

So for every $1000 you spend of gift cards, you'll get $3 off per gallon of gas (limit 20 gallons). This is a value of $60. This is essentially 6% back.

Oh yeah, there's more. The mastercard you link to can be the Citi DoubleCash card, giving you another 2% back.

Oh, and you also get a "welcome bonus" if you go through a referral link.
YMMV, no grocery stores are participating in ky area.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: Lots

there’s already a thread for this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Double check that math. $0.15/$100 purchase discount. $1500 in gc yields a discount of $2.25/gal or $45 on 20 gallons. Still a good deal.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:23 pm

How does this work? You buy a gift card at participating grocery stores, are these gift cards, vanilla, shell? what kind of gift cards? Not following when you said for every 1000, you get $3 off per gallon. The gas price is not 3 per gallon so how do you get 3 off? Also is there monthly limit in how many giftcards you can buy and how much gas you can get free? I am totally not in the loop on this and not following how this works.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by Gitangali
How does this work? You buy a gift card at participating grocery stores, are these gift cards, vanilla, shell? what kind of gift cards? Not following when you said for every 1000, you get $3 off per gallon. The gas price is not 3 per gallon so how do you get 3 off? Also is there monthly limit in how many giftcards you can buy and how much gas you can get free? I am totally not in the loop on this and not following how this works.
More info here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...l#post29668130
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:22 pm

Is the FR/Mastercard promo now limited to S&S and Giant?
I understand that the general grocery/MC promo expired in March.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:56 pm

Before someone shuts down this thread as duplicative of the Giant/S&S thread, it's worth noting that Fuel Rewards is separate and distinct from the Giant/S&S gas points program. FR has had other grocery partners from time to time, and may repeat this in the future.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:11 am
Suspended

you'll get 15 cents off per gallon for every $100 you spend at participating grocery stores

So for every $1000 you spend of gift cards, you'll get $3 off per gallon of gas
wut??
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:57 am

Depending on gas prices in your area you need to spend less or more. If price per gallon is $3, 5c promo requires $6k in GC spending to get up to 20gal for free in single fill up. ($3/.05) x $100 = $6k. 15c promo requires $2k. ($3/.15) x $100 = $2k. Average tank capacity is 14-17 gal and most of the time is not completely empty. So for example if 12 gal x $3 = $36 and you spend $2000 + $23.80 fees + $1.76 MO fees and earn $40.28 cash back on citi DCB the profit that includes costs of gas is $50. 20 gallons fill up translates to $74.72 profit and If you have to spend $6k because of 5c promo the profit is $106.80.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:41 am

I invested in a $20 5 gallon gas can in September to capture all 20 gallons for each fill up, and generally use it to fill up a small tank car (Prius) with the excess from our other 2 cars. On long car trips where I don’t bring the gas can, I’ve found it’s possible to add about 10% of tank capacity once the gas pump clicks off. In rental cars, I just keep filling until there’s gas in the fill neck of the tank

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
Depending on gas prices in your area you need to spend less or more. If price per gallon is $3, 5c promo requires $6k in GC spending to get up to 20gal for free in single fill up. ($3/.05) x $100 = $6k. 15c promo requires $2k. ($3/.15) x $100 = $2k. Average tank capacity is 14-17 gal and most of the time is not completely empty. So for example if 12 gal x $3 = $36 and you spend $2000 + $23.80 fees + $1.76 MO fees and earn $40.28 cash back on citi DCB the profit that includes costs of gas is $50. 20 gallons fill up translates to $74.72 profit and If you have to spend $6k because of 5c promo the profit is $106.80.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by NeGourmand
I invested in a $20 5 gallon gas can in September to capture all 20 gallons for each fill up,
Not to pick a fight, but you overpaid for the gas can. $12 at WM.
Electroman likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:48 pm

I invested in a $20 5 gallon gas can in September to capture all 20 gallons for each fill up, and generally use it to fill up a small tank car (Prius) with the excess from our other 2 cars. On long car trips where I don’t bring the gas can, I’ve found it’s possible to add about 10% of tank capacity once the gas pump clicks off. In rental cars, I just keep filling until there’s gas in the fill neck of the tank

If you overfill like that expect to have a canister problem which will cost around 500 -700 bucks. lol
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:52 pm

I would never drive around with a gas can full of gas...too much risk of a static discharge igniting the gas (AKA ... a bomb). Besides, gas has a shelf life and you always want the freshest product available.

I would, and do, try to cram as much gas as I can into the tank, though. On my Explorer, I can usually get another 2 gallons in just by rocking the truck enough to get the gas tank to burp. Probably looks funny to anyone watching, but nobody said saving $$ looked sexy!
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411
I would never drive around with a gas can full of gas...too much risk of a static discharge igniting the gas (AKA ... a bomb). Besides, gas has a shelf life and you always want the freshest product available.

I would, and do, try to cram as much gas as I can into the tank, though. On my Explorer, I can usually get another 2 gallons in just by rocking the truck enough to get the gas tank to burp. Probably looks funny to anyone watching, but nobody said saving $$ looked sexy!
The gas station is less than a mile from my house. If I mowed my own yard or removed snow, I’d need to get gas into those tools and don’t see it as being any different. Gas can takes a trip only when needed to fill up and then back to the garage. It’s emptied within a week. The walmart can looked like it would be prone to leaking. This exercise is probably an excessive amount of effort to save a few bucks of gas though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.