Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Shell Fuel Rewards Network: MS'ing for free gas

Shell Fuel Rewards Network: MS'ing for free gas

Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Excuse me for having a senior moment, but I am not following the OP's process. From what I can tell, I would need to do the following:

1. sign up for Shell Rewards
2. link a Mastercard (I assume this is a compulsory step?)
3. use the Mastercard to buy gift cards at certain supermarkets (most of which no longer sell gift cards when using credit cards)
4. use the rebate from that activity for a fuel cost credit against one single fill-up

* once the supermarket promo ends, which I am assuming could happen at any time, this whole process would unravel unless there is another usable promo somewhere?

Since many of us fill up weekly, this seems like a lot of work, although I assume I could get a smaller credit, ie $1/gal, with less activity or spreading my credits across multiple fill ups?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Excuse me for having a senior moment, but I am not following the OP's process. From what I can tell, I would need to do the following:

1. sign up for Shell Rewards
2. link a Mastercard (I assume this is a compulsory step?)
3. use the Mastercard to buy gift cards at certain supermarkets (most of which no longer sell gift cards when using credit cards)
4. use the rebate from that activity for a fuel cost credit against one single fill-up

* once the supermarket promo ends, which I am assuming could happen at any time, this whole process would unravel unless there is another usable promo somewhere?

Since many of us fill up weekly, this seems like a lot of work, although I assume I could get a smaller credit, ie $1/gal, with less activity or spreading my credits across multiple fill ups?
I dont believe you can choose how much you spend in credits per fill up. Its $.15 per gallon off per $100 spent at participating grocery store. If you spend $1k, you get $1.50 off per gallon on one fill up. So if gas is $3 a gallon, you pay for $1.50 per gallon. If you spend $2k, you get $3 off per gallon so using the previous example, your fill up would be nearly free (minimum is $.019 per gallon). If you spend $4k, you can fill up two tanks for nearly free, and so on. It depends on how much you need to fill up, ie Im supporting 8 cars, so I need to do quite a bit to keep them all nearly free each week.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:09 am

I haven't gotten points since the new promo came out, even though my grocery store is on the list, just to be wary and do a test purchase first....
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by devastitis

I dont believe you can choose how much you spend in credits per fill up. Its $.15 per gallon off per $100 spent at participating grocery store. If you spend $1k, you get $1.50 off per gallon on one fill up. So if gas is $3 a gallon, you pay for $1.50 per gallon. If you spend $2k, you get $3 off per gallon so using the previous example, your fill up would be nearly free (minimum is $.019 per gallon). If you spend $4k, you can fill up two tanks for nearly free, and so on. It depends on how much you need to fill up, ie Im supporting 8 cars, so I need to do quite a bit to keep them all nearly free each week.
What gift cards are you buying to get the credits? The T+C indicate that any cash equivalent/debit cards are disallowed from earning credits.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: Lots
What gift cards are you buying to get the credits? The T+C indicate that any cash equivalent/debit cards are disallowed from earning credits.
the same ones that S&S gives gas rewards on once in a while.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by devastitis

the same ones that S&S gives gas rewards on once in a while.
I guess I need to request a PM to know which card(s) this is, if you don't mind
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:22 am

I guess I need to request a PM to know which card(s) this is, if you don't mind
For the Fuel Rewards linked mastercard promo of 15 cents off per gallon per $100 spent, anything you buy at an eligible supermarket should count (possible exceptions being things like pharmacies and liquor stores).
I don't see the terms on this page saying it excludes gift cards, but this promo already ran September-March and all of my purchases of $500 visa and MC cards gave me points.

Those lucky enough to live near a Giant or Stop & Shop in the Northeast, they have a rotating selection of gift cards that earn points for the store's own gas points program, which happens to be linked to Fuelrewards.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:31 am

any stores participating in south FL ? in the site they have given outdated info.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by lobo411
I would never drive around with a gas can full of gas...too much risk of a static discharge igniting the gas (AKA ... a bomb).
Misinformed. Landscaping crews and others drive around 7 days a week with multiple gas cans, sometimes banging around in back of truck or on trailer. How many explosions have you seen in your neighborhood or around town?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
any stores participating in south FL ? in the site they have given outdated info.
Safeway does not participate. Other chain stores worked as expected in similar past promotions.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
Not to pick a fight, but you overpaid for the gas can. $12 at WM.
i keep 50 gallons in my garage. No booms yet. Just release pressure before using the nozzle :-)
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
Misinformed. Landscaping crews and others drive around 7 days a week with multiple gas cans, sometimes banging around in back of truck or on trailer. How many explosions have you seen in your neighborhood or around town?
off-road vehicles (wranglers) often gave spare gas cans. It sucks getting stranded 20-30 miles from civilization on the beach.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:38 pm

Looked on Shell Fuel Rewards map and only dining locations in my area (SE MI)
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:08 am

You do need to be careful transporting gas. I put 4 five gallon cans in the back of my car and there was a giant explosion and I was killed. I swear to God.
hi55us likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:34 am
Suspended

Talking

Originally Posted by Car Jack
You do need to be careful transporting gas. I put 4 five gallon cans in the back of my car and there was a giant explosion and I was killed. I swear to God.
I thought you were serious for a sec..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.