Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchasing VGC with Amex Card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Purchasing VGC with Amex Card

Does anyone know the best place to purchase a Visa gift card online using an American Express card? I used to use Giftcards.com but I can't add a new Amex card and I'm blocked from GCM, doh!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: MR, UR, UA
Originally Posted by shenvatele
Does anyone know the best place to purchase a Visa gift card online using an American Express card? I used to use Giftcards.com but I can't add a new Amex card and I'm blocked from GCM, doh!
On GC.com, you can use an AMEX card on the checkout page. Moreover checking "save card to profile" allows the card to be saved.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by sponge_gto
On GC.com, you can use an AMEX card on the checkout page. Moreover checking "save card to profile" allows the card to be saved.
I might be wrong but I don't think one can use Amex at GC.com if not grandfathered.

I haven't tried at GCM.

On the other hand I used to purchase VGC with AGC at WM and they would auto-drain.

Last edited by touristtrap; Apr 19, 2017 at 3:43 pm Reason: clarification
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:15 pm

Purchasing VGC with AMEX

Originally Posted by touristtrap
I might be wrong but I don't think one can use Amex at GC.com if not grandfathered.

I haven't tried at GCM.

On the other hand I used to purchase VGC with AGC at WM and they would auto-drain.

Just last week i made a purchase on giftcards.com using SPG Amex for the first time. No issues.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Yup, I was able to successfully add a new AMEX card for payment with GC.com at the checkout page. I too thought this wasn't an option anymore.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:15 am

.. and you can read Venmo thread as well.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:16 am

AMex not working for me at GC.com
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shenvatele
Do you just want to buy a gift card, or do you also want to earn points on that purchase?

Just because you can buy a Visa gift card online with an Amex doesn't mean Amex will give you points for it. Amex is on the prowl for finding sites that sell Visa gift cards and denying points for purchases on those sites.

Per the Amex T&Cs, you're not supposed get points for "cash equivalent" things like Visa gift cards at all, so you have to "hide" it from Amex if you want to be sure you'll earn points on it.

I don't keep up with all of it (if I need to buy a Visa gift card, I do it the super-safe way, ie, at a grocery store with some randomly-priced groceries bought at the same time), but Amex has been denying points lately at least for giftcards.com and Simon' Mall.
jtav559 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by sdsearch

I don't keep up with all of it (if I need to buy a Visa gift card, I do it the super-safe way, ie, at a grocery store with some randomly-priced groceries bought at the same time), but Amex has been denying points lately at least for giftcards.com and Simon' Mall.
Yep, I stop into my local grocery and get a deli sandwich, a diet coke, and a grip of VGC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.