My first MS...success story!

Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:59 pm

To the OP - please continue writing checks to the piano teacher and read Flyertalk "new to the MS" for at least 3 months. You're definitely losing money by ordering one $240 gift card from giftcards dot com and converting it to the MO to pay the piano teacher. Your story is definitely not a success story.

I hope my advise doesn't sound mean.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:30 pm

Without knowing the CC you used to buy your GC for your "first MO experience", I can't say whether you lost money or not. There are some CCs that require a small amount, let's say $500 or $1000 spend to trigger the cash bonus; if this is the case, you need to 'spend' whatever amount to complete the required spend to trigger the bonus. GCdotcom does not offer free s/h for any amount of cards so you must've paid $240+6.95GC fee +$7.20 s/h for total $254.15 + .88 to drain it to MGMO. If your intent was to try and get the experience on buying a GC online and how to drain it at WM, I think you did great on your first venture. It's better to start with small amounts and gain confidence rather than buy huge amounts w/o an idea on how to turn those GCs back to cash so they can pay their CC later. Those who can't turn GCs back to cash after buying a huge amount find themselves in debt later; so your situation may not be the best for starter but definitely not the worse.

Last edited by Mamibear; Mar 18, 2018 at 6:26 pm Reason: added GC fee to total
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Without knowing the CC you used to buy your GC for your "first MO experience", I can't say whether you lost money or not. There are some CCs that require a small amount, let's say $500 or $1000 spend to trigger the cash bonus; if this is the case, you need to 'spend' whatever amount to complete the required spend to trigger the bonus. GCdotcom does not offer free s/h for any amount of cards so you must've paid $240+6.95GC fee +$7.20 s/h for total $254.15 + .88 to drain it to MGMO. If your intent was to try and get the experience on buying a GC online and how to drain it at WM, I think you did great on your first venture. It's better to start with small amounts and gain confidence rather than buy huge amounts w/o an idea on how to turn those GCs back to cash so they can pay their CC later. Those who can't turn GCs back to cash after buying a huge amount find themselves in debt later; so your situation may not be the best for starter but definitely not the worse.
More profitable if OP bought a WM GC. He would be paying $240 plus $4.94 plus 0.88 MO fee. No need to pay 6.95 GC fee and 7.20 for s/h. This is crazy.

Last edited by Zgirl; Mar 19, 2018 at 5:06 pm
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Zgirl
More profitable if OP bought a WM GC. He would be paying $240 plus $4.94 minus 0.88 MO fee. No need to pay 6.95 GC fee and 7.20 for s/h. This is crazy.
For small amounts like $240, it's just not worth going the GC/MO route. OP might as well just use paypal or plastiq to send the piano teacher money. The fees would be less or about the same, and far more convenient.

At bare minimum, at least buy a full $500 GC to make it worth your time.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Zgirl

More profitable if OP bought a WM GC. He would be paying $240 plus $4.94 minus 0.88 MO fee. No need to pay 6.95 GC fee and 7.20 for s/h. This is crazy.
To avoid confusion, it should be WM GreenDot VGC since they're the ones with $4.94 fee while WM GC don't have purchase fee and CANNOT be used to pay for MO. You're correct, he would've paid less for his GC but then, it's a different experience buying GCs online. If he bought from Simon website, he would've paid only $240+3.95fee+.49 shipping which would've been better than buying at WM.

OP, your other choices online will be GiftcardMall (GCM) which gives portal bonus, no s/h fee for up to $1998 GC with $5.95 fee per GC. Buying from Simon gives no portal bonus but GC fees are cheaper and cheaper s/h and quick shipping, too. Just keep on reading and you'll learn a lot.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
So we now have a debate on what exactly MS is.
There is no debate. OP did not manufacture any spend. OP could have paid a bill for $0, but created a Rube Goldberg mechanism to manufacture deficit.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:10 pm

Here is a link to all the MS threads: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...-spending-719/

Read thru the ones that interest you and read the WIKIs at the top for common answers and warnings.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
There is no debate. OP did not manufacture any spend. OP could have paid a bill for $0, but created a Rube Goldberg mechanism to manufacture deficit.
Sure, he could have paid for it with a check. It would have cost him ?nothing?
But he would have missed out of the following: (and which have their own costs)
-minimum spend on a credit card for an award
-points awarded for cc spend
-minimum spend to reach a certain level in a program
-cash back

I believe that MS is more than just generating credits by buying MOs with a credit card, depositing them and paying off the CC bill (in its latest version, now that other pathways are defunct). I think that one can achieve the above bullet points and pay bills that are check only.by using MS (in a slightly altered fashion).
Thus, my definition may not be exactly yours. So be it.

The OP may have been inefficient in his methods but he is new to the game. He will learn, hopefully.
-
NeGourmand likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by radonc1
Sure, he could have paid for it with a check. It would have cost him ?nothing?
But he would have missed out of the following: (and which have their own costs)
-minimum spend on a credit card for an award
-points awarded for cc spend
-minimum spend to reach a certain level in a program
-cash back

I believe that MS is more than just generating credits by buying MOs with a credit card, depositing them and paying off the CC bill (in its latest version, now that other pathways are defunct). I think that one can achieve the above bullet points and pay bills that are check only.by using MS (in a slightly altered fashion).
Thus, my definition may not be exactly yours. So be it.

The OP may have been inefficient in his methods but he is new to the game. He will learn, hopefully.
-
From the post it sounded like OP was just tired of writing checks to the piano teacher. No mention in the post about needing to meet a minimum spend on a credit card. The most points gained as it was purchased through a site that does not garner any bonus points would most likely be 240 points. Being generous the value of that would be .48 Considering all the costs associated with their transaction the OP should not continue on this route and should either read more about MS or go back to writing checks,
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:29 pm

radonc1- OP did not manufacture any spend. What OP did had nothing to do with the bill for the piano and they could have done the same thing (far more efficiently) if they had just written a check for the piano payments, and done the other stuff economically. Buy card. Buy money order. Deposit in bank. No assembly or pianos required.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
radonc1- OP did not manufacture any spend. What OP did had nothing to do with the bill for the piano and they could have done the same thing (far more efficiently) if they had just written a check for the piano payments, and done the other stuff economically. Buy card. Buy money order. Deposit in bank. No assembly or pianos required.
You have described the classic MS, with the last step left off which is pay the credit card off (with bill pay using GC or with checking account using deposited MOs).

But there is no reason not to pay off other bills that don't accept CC payments using that checking account.(such as my insurance bill that only takes checks for payment). And there is no reason not to pay bills that accept MOs (my RE taxes can be and are paid with MOs).

So correct me if I am wrong or misunderstanding something. He bought a GC with a CC. He converted the GC into a MO. He paid the bill with the MO. He was not efficient in his payment transfers yielding a poor economic outcome, but I think it still falls under the purview of MS.

Anyway, I believe that I have plowed this field thoroughly and will now leave it fallow. Apologies for my ignorance.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:38 am

I set out to help an old lady cross the street. Unfortunately, during my attempt, I accidentally push her into an oncoming vehicle. Would you say that my efforts fall on the purview of heroism? When an activity is deemed a success by wasting a lot of time to lose money, that's not manufactured spending.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: Several dozen
What would you call that then - United States Government?

...When an activity is deemed a success by wasting a lot of time to lose money, that's not manufactured spending...
cruisr likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:47 am

I've always felt that manufactured spending was meant to imply "buying cash substitutes and converting them back to cash to trigger reward payments when there was no underlying real payment being made." You could make or loose money and it would still be manufactured spending.

I know that manufactured spending is also used to refer to purchasing cash substitutes to pay bills that can't be paid with rewards earning credit cards, but that seems to me to be real spending. I think it's safe to say that people use the term to mean either.
sdsearch and Steve in Olympia like this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:44 pm

I don't know which card that was used to buy the $240 gift card, but it seems like the time and cost involved to avoid to write a check negated any of the points earned, especially if there were activation costs for the VGC, cost for the money order, time lost going to get a MO, cost of any fuel used to transport to those places. I can't see how this process saved any time or money - from a glance it looks like there was a net loss here. I understand using something like Plastiq to earn points on purchases that would normally not earn them - but it takes a few seconds online and if you get enough value from the points earned, will offset the fees. In this case, I don't possibly see how there could be a net gain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.