Is there a newbie guide to Manufactured Spending?

Old Mar 3, 18, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Is there a newbie guide to Manufactured Spending?

I read the top header "new to MS?", but even the 2013 edition doesn't give a tutorial.

Anyone recommend a guide for MS?

thanks
Old Mar 3, 18, 1:09 pm

If the new to MS archives isn't enough for you (if you spend time reading, there are a lot of info in it that are still applicable today even if many MS venues have shutdown), I suggest you check reddit/r/churning and look at the side bar for new to MS.
Old Mar 3, 18, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

I'm trying to find more help on the following two tactics:

1. Purchasing funds on ameritrade thinkorSwim using CreditCard, then waiting for the hold period a stockbroker has (30days) then withdraw the funds back to your chequing account. The credit card will consider it a purchase not a transfer.
2. buying ONe Vanilla cards and then turning them into Money Orders at the Post Office, take the Money Order to a local bank branch, paying the Credit Card back.
Old Mar 3, 18, 2:03 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by jungly View Post
I'm trying to find more help on the following two tactics:

1. Purchasing funds on ameritrade thinkorSwim using CreditCard, then waiting for the hold period a stockbroker has (30days) then withdraw the funds back to your chequing account. The credit card will consider it a purchase not a transfer.
2. buying ONe Vanilla cards and then turning them into Money Orders at the Post Office, take the Money Order to a local bank branch, paying the Credit Card back.
You havenít done enough reading. Thereís threads with specific types of MS. Go through them.
Old Mar 3, 18, 2:22 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
2. buying ONe Vanilla cards and then turning them into Money Orders at the Post Office.....
I might look here:

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)
Old Mar 11, 18, 8:37 am
CDO
Suspended

Doc has one if you check his blog
Old Mar 12, 18, 2:11 pm

There isn't a whole lot of any MEANINGFUL MS left. You can go for credit card sign up bonuses etc. I wouldn't go after 1-2% net return, a lot of hassle and risk taking IMO. Anything over 3% net return is good in my books if you have the time.
Old Mar 12, 18, 2:31 pm
Moderator, Manufactured Spending

Programs: Delta Silver. Hilton Diamond.
I think some people think this thread is or should be a step-by-step guide with circles and arrows that walks you through every step of how to manufacture spend. I realize that the name of the thread may create that impression to some.

But for a variety of reasons, this thread is not a step-by-step guide that spoon-feeds everything and probably never will be. Part of the reason is that MS is different in every city, and things are always changing. And part of the reason is that people don't want to post things too explicitly for fear it will 'kill the deal'.

I think this is a good place for newbies to ask questions and get a few hints about what to do.
JudyJFLA and craigthemif like this.
Old Mar 16, 18, 11:31 pm

circles and arrows are soooo 2014
JudyJFLA and ChrisFlyer66 like this.
Old Mar 17, 18, 8:10 am

And part of the reason is that people don't want to post things too explicitly for fear it will 'kill the deal'.
Back in 2014 to 2015, there were still a lot of arrows and circles on how to MS and where the deals are but starting in 2016, I've not read a lot of these posted in sites like this but there's still plenty being shared via app groups; usually, we read of gigs that just died from bloggers. Bloggers are usually tipped by their readers and they usually talk about these in private groups where they vet members. Some gold nuggets can be picked from blog discussions and it is up to the reader to follow through.
Old Mar 17, 18, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mamibear View Post
Back in 2014 to 2015, there were still a lot of arrows and circles on how to MS and where the deals are but starting in 2016, I've not read a lot of these posted in sites like this but there's still plenty being shared via app groups; usually, we read of gigs that just died from bloggers. Bloggers are usually tipped by their readers and they usually talk about these in private groups where they vet members. Some gold nuggets can be picked from blog discussions and it is up to the reader to follow through.
Do you recommend any "app groups"?

So what people are saying is due not letting the secrets out, the best we go is that one 'group' in flyertalk and read through weeks of threads for hints. I notice on youtube there's a few claiming to easily convert gift cards to MoneyOrders if you pay them for their 'guide'; ya no.

As for the old walmart tactic. Where does one go and cash in their gift card for a moneyOrder? Do you goto customer service and say "I wana get a money order", then swipe your gift card. Does this work in canada and usa walmarts?
Old Mar 17, 18, 8:57 am

Programs: Lots
As for the old walmart tactic. Where does one go and cash in their gift card for a moneyOrder? Do you goto customer service and say "I wana get a money order", then swipe your gift card.
There couldnít be more information on this method out there. Just do a little research.
Old Mar 17, 18, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As for the old walmart tactic. Where does one go and cash in their gift card for a moneyOrder? Do you goto customer service and say "I wana get a money order", then swipe your gift card. Does this work in canada and usa walmarts?
You go to the Walmart MoneyCenter (not to customer service). But as to whether it works or not, that depends on the particular Walmart! So that's why it's not easy, because so much of what works and doesn't depends on your local situation.

And even when it works, there are limits, so it may not work for multiple gift cards at the same visit. So you may have to leave and come back and leave and come back and leave and come back (if you've got more than one or two gift cards). So any Walmart that works for you betters be close to where you normally are or normally travel, or it's not going to be very practical.

For example, someone who lives deep inside Los Angeles and has to drive in bad traffic several dozen miles to find the closest Walmart is going to be in a way different situation than someone who lives in a smaller city where there are several Walmarts in different directions within a few miles (and the traffic is way better than in Los Angeles).

And be aware that compared to churning (regularly applying for credit cards to get signup bonuses), it may take a lot of gift cards to earn the same number of miles/points from Manufactured Spending that you get from one signup bonus (if you're able to do the minimum purchases that are required to earn the bonus through "natural" spending). And thus you need a plan that works for lots of gift cards, not one that stops working after a couple.

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 17, 18 at 9:05 am
Old Mar 17, 18, 11:11 am

Do you recommend any "app groups"?
None. I have been invited to join some private groups.

afaik, most of the app groups have administrators that vet members they allow to join, base on their usefulness and knowledge of MS. The private groups I know weed out those who just lurk or leech info. Members are also asked NOT to reveal to anyone outside of the group whatever deal they read from discussions. IOW, it can be a bit stressful for those who don't have new ideas to share with the group because you can get locked out anytime when you're no longer useful to them. As long as you're sharing valuable info to most members of the group, the administrator will keep you in.
Old Mar 25, 18, 11:46 am
Moderator, Manufactured Spending

Programs: Delta Silver. Hilton Diamond.
A question from a newbie asking about buying MO at the bank was moved to the New to Manufactured Spend Thread. Please help the OP over there:

New to Manufactured Spending? Start here(2017-2018)

You can also ask other newbie questions over there, so I'm going to close this thread.

Search this Thread