Boring without high volume MS

Old Feb 24, 18, 7:23 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 526
Boring without high volume MS

Those who have done the high volume, high cap MS know the routine. Everyday you are purchasing few thousand dollars and then running around to liquidate them, track them etc. At the time you hate it. But when it is done, you also miss it. There seems vacuum in your daily routine as you suddenly find extra time on your hand. All the high volume MS which pay 4-5% are done with. It's really dry time in MS world. Bottom line MS sucks now.

What do you guys think?
Gitangali is offline  
Old Feb 24, 18, 7:39 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,699
I order my GCs on weekdays and pick them up at the PO on Saturday and drain them all. I get to do my weekly shopping with liquidation so I don't have to MS the other days of the week. It's quite exhausting not only in terms of time, gas, effort when I did it daily before and after work; my current schedule works well for me.

IMO, it's not only the 5% that are worth chasing, there are plenty of ways discussed online and it's up to the individual to crunch their numbers on what's worthwhile to them.
Mamibear is offline  
Old Feb 24, 18, 7:49 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,830
Originally Posted by Mamibear View Post
I order my GCs on weekdays and pick them up at the PO on Saturday and drain them all. I get to do my weekly shopping with liquidation so I don't have to MS the other days of the week. It's quite exhausting not only in terms of time, gas, effort when I did it daily before and after work; my current schedule works well for me.

IMO, it's not only the 5% that are worth chasing, there are plenty of ways discussed online and it's up to the individual to crunch their numbers on what's worthwhile to them.
Good for you that you can pick it up at PO. After my 3rd or 4th call, I was told I can no longer pick it up!

I rented a PO box, so I will see how that goes.
lumangoy is offline  
Old Feb 24, 18, 9:31 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Posts: 812
Originally Posted by Gitangali View Post
Those who have done the high volume, high cap MS know the routine. Everyday you are purchasing few thousand dollars and then running around to liquidate them, track them etc. At the time you hate it. But when it is done, you also miss it. There seems vacuum in your daily routine as you suddenly find extra time on your hand. All the high volume MS which pay 4-5% are done with. It's really dry time in MS world. Bottom line MS sucks now.

What do you guys think?
What do you consider high volume?
pharmawalk is offline  
Old Feb 24, 18, 10:54 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,699
Originally Posted by lumangoy View Post
Good for you that you can pick it up at PO. After my 3rd or 4th call, I was told I can no longer pick it up!

I rented a PO box, so I will see how that goes.
I didn't realize there's also YMMV at the PO when it is part of the service they render to hold for pick up packages especially those that require signature. When I didn't know of the hold for pick up service, I did the hold mail service when going on vacation but the delivery supervisor was the one who informed me about the hold for pick up of certain packages. All other mails were delivered on schedule except the tracking numbers I gave her to hold for pick up. Hopefully, this service will also work for others who wish to do weekly MSing while buying their GCs online.

IDK of online merchants that will deliver to POBs, I hope that works for you if you rented one for MS purposes.
Mamibear is offline  
Old Feb 24, 18, 11:00 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 525
Originally Posted by Gitangali View Post
Those who have done the high volume, high cap MS know the routine. Everyday you are purchasing few thousand dollars and then running around to liquidate them, track them etc. At the time you hate it. But when it is done, you also miss it. There seems vacuum in your daily routine as you suddenly find extra time on your hand. All the high volume MS which pay 4-5% are done with. It's really dry time in MS world. Bottom line MS sucks now.

What do you guys think?
Train for a marathon. You are also running around all the time and hating it, but when you are done you also miss it. It doesn't generally pay you, but it doesn't cost you a lot either. When MS goes down, mileage goes up for me.
TyPo311 and spamman808 like this.
zeppoloveskafka is offline  
Old Feb 24, 18, 11:23 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,830
Originally Posted by Mamibear View Post
IDK of online merchants that will deliver to POBs, I hope that works for you if you rented one for MS purposes.
My PO has an alternative street address, so it doesn't look like a PO but an apartment.

Now my issue is getting orders through!

My first order of $500 just got cancelled!
lumangoy is offline  
Old Feb 24, 18, 11:31 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,699
Originally Posted by lumangoy View Post
My PO has an alternative street address, so it doesn't look like a PO but an apartment.

Now my issue is getting orders through!

My first order of $500 just got cancelled!
the reason may be that your delivery/shipping address is different from the verified address on your CC. I know when billing and CC address don't match, my orders got cancelled by any merchant. Hopefully, I'm wrong and you can get your orders go through.
Mamibear is offline  
Old Feb 24, 18, 11:32 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,830
Originally Posted by Mamibear View Post
the reason may be that your delivery/shipping address is different from the verified address on your CC. I know when billing and CC address don't match, my orders got cancelled by any merchant. Hopefully, I'm wrong and you can get your orders go through.
I've changed the billing address with my CC to match the address I'm using.
lumangoy is offline  
Old Feb 24, 18, 11:37 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,699
Originally Posted by lumangoy View Post
I've changed the billing address with my CC to match the address I'm using.
I didn't know CCs will accept "masked" POBs for address. I learned something new today, TY : )
Mamibear is offline  
Old Feb 24, 18, 11:48 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,830
Originally Posted by Mamibear View Post
I didn't know CCs will accept "masked" POBs for address. I learned something new today, TY : )
I still have my original home address, it's just to allow delivery to the 2ndary address.
lumangoy is offline  
Old Feb 24, 18, 11:59 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,076
Good luck on getting the PO address to work. It took me forever to get my ups one to work and now that is working both of my home address ones at GCM have been getting the dreaded transaction error for over a month.
cdog999 is offline  
Old Mar 1, 18, 2:53 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: UA 1K - 1.5MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Spire, Bonvoy LT Titanium (Ambassador thru 1/20), Hyatt Glob
Posts: 621
This reminds me of the good ol’ days ~20 years ago when you could purchase $25,000 or more daily in fee-free USD travelers checks and charge them to your credit card 💳 while counting as a purchase, not a cash advance. I once got a call mentioning they noticed a high volume of hundreds and wanted to know if I preferred them denominated in $1,000’s; lol!
Magic Pickles is offline  
Old Mar 6, 18, 7:04 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Land of the parrots and parrotheads
Programs: Several dozen
Posts: 4,818
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way—in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Charles Dickens - A Tale of Two MSers (1859)

Originally Posted by Gitangali View Post
...It's really dry time in MS world. Bottom line MS sucks now....

What do you guys think?
rbwpi and fet like this.
AlohaDaveKennedy is offline  
Old Mar 9, 18, 12:24 pm
  #15  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California
Programs: AA PLT 2MM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC, Nat'l EE, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Posts: 661
Dry and boring? No.
Exciting like a race car or parachuting? Not exactly.

I have weeks where I am lucky to squeak out 2k in MS due to work and personal commitments, and the other weeks I am wheeling and dealing VGC like a blackjack dealer in Vegas.

Do I enjoy traipsing all over the county to stand in line at WM or grocers to buy 1 or 2 MOs - not at all. Do I enjoy the benefits I garner from spending and earning miles? Absolutely.

My better half thought I was crazy until I flew her to Europe in biz for the paltry sum of $45 in taxes and fees. Now she sees the end game when I come home with VGC's coming out my ears.

I'll keep doing it as long as I see value in my time (and marginal cost of MSing) spent on the hobby.
jtav559 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread