Prepaid Card with online debit loads?

Old Feb 15, 18, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Prepaid Card with online debit loads?

Are there any prepaid cards like Serve that allow you to link a debit card and add funds online? Max amount is not important since I'll be doing small loads anyways.
Old Feb 15, 18, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador Elite
virtual Apple Pay Cash card allows you to draw funding from a debit card registered in Apple Pay
Old Feb 15, 18, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fmastr View Post
virtual Apple Pay Cash card allows you to draw funding from a debit card registered in Apple Pay
Are Apple devices required to make this work? No fees to use? Preferably I'd like to load small amounts with the debit card and then withdraw the total loads to a linked bank account.
Old Feb 16, 18, 1:14 pm

check CUs around you for those that offer travel cards/reloadable prepaid cards. They allow linking your DC (or CC issued by CU) as source of funds. There were lots of them back in 2014 up to early 2016 but were discontinued. If you find one, that's a certified unicorn!
Old Feb 16, 18, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mamibear View Post
check CUs around you for those that offer travel cards/reloadable prepaid cards. They allow linking your DC (or CC issued by CU) as source of funds. There were lots of them back in 2014 up to early 2016 but were discontinued. If you find one, that's a certified unicorn!
I've found many locally, but none of them allow me to connect a debit card to do loads online. They either allow branch loads or only using their CC or a direct deposit.
Old Feb 18, 18, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear View Post
can you elaborate more on this? sorry im a noob. like using the reloadable prepaid card to purchase a visa/mastercard DC and then turnaround fund the reloadable prepaid card with that same visa/master DC you just purchased? but as you said the CU only allow CC/DC issued by that CU..
Old Feb 18, 18, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtpham1020 View Post
can you elaborate more on this? sorry im a noob. like using the reloadable prepaid card to purchase a visa/mastercard DC and then turnaround fund the reloadable prepaid card with that same visa/master DC you just purchased? but as you said the CU only allow CC/DC issued by that CU..
No, that's not what we're referring to. Some banks require X amount of debit transactions each month to earn the higher interest rate, and loading with that DC to the prepaid makes things worlds easier. I doubt you'll ever find a prepaid that allows you to load funds via credit card though since the swipe fees are much too high.
Old Feb 19, 18, 2:34 pm

I made the same mistake dtpham1020 did, thinking you were trying to load visa gift cards by calling them debit cards. If you're just trying for debit transactions for the bank, I believe Serve lets you make a deposit by taking a picture of a check, so you should be able to write a check to yourself and upload it to Serve, all from the comfort of your home. You might even be able to use the bank's billpay to withdrawal money from bank/deposit to Serve, if your bank offers billpay. Good luck!
Old Feb 19, 18, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah View Post
I made the same mistake dtpham1020 did, thinking you were trying to load visa gift cards by calling them debit cards. If you're just trying for debit transactions for the bank, I believe Serve lets you make a deposit by taking a picture of a check, so you should be able to write a check to yourself and upload it to Serve, all from the comfort of your home. You might even be able to use the bank's billpay to withdrawal money from bank/deposit to Serve, if your bank offers billpay. Good luck!
I don't understand why you're talking about depositing checks or billpay when I'm asking about using a debit card to load a prepaid card online.
Old Feb 19, 18, 7:48 pm

Oh, it's because you mentioned doing "x amounts of debit transactions" and specifically said you're not talking about visa/mc debit gift cards, so I figured any debit transaction would suit your needs. Sorry if I misunderstood.
Old Feb 20, 18, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah View Post
Oh, it's because you mentioned doing "x amounts of debit transactions" and specifically said you're not talking about visa/mc debit gift cards, so I figured any debit transaction would suit your needs. Sorry if I misunderstood.
Go back and re-read my posts in this thread, as it may help you to understand my situation better.
Old Feb 20, 18, 7:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Since you're using real bank debit cards here, I don't really see the need for a prepaid card in your situation unless your doing some really large number of transactions. Unless you've already exhausted them, there are a number of free online money transfer services discussed in this forum that should meet your needs as long as you have multiple bank accounts with associated debit cards. Just send some lunch money to a 'friend' who may happen to have the same name as you a few times a month. Works for me for the same purpose as yours.
​​​​
Old Feb 21, 18, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by amazingjames View Post
Since you're using real bank debit cards here, I don't really see the need for a prepaid card in your situation unless your doing some really large number of transactions. Unless you've already exhausted them, there are a number of free online money transfer services discussed in this forum that should meet your needs as long as you have multiple bank accounts with associated debit cards. Just send some lunch money to a 'friend' who may happen to have the same name as you a few times a month. Works for me for the same purpose as yours.
​​​​
transfers wont work, it needs to be a debit or credit transaction most likely to meet some checking account requirements.
Old Feb 21, 18, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amazingjames View Post
​​​​
Yes, I need many debits, like 60+ per month to get the higher interest rates. I've already been banned from one transfer app and prepaid cards just work better. I'd like to avoid the transfer apps/services since they don't like this kind of activity and are aggressive with shutdowns. Serve is perfect, but I don't want to ramp up the monthly debit loads and risk a shutdown.

Originally Posted by lumangoy View Post
transfers wont work, it needs to be a debit or credit transaction most likely to meet some checking account requirements.
The online transfers work provided you're using your debit card and not your bank account.
Old Feb 21, 18, 10:09 am

Programs: Several dozen
Meh - amazing how many debit transactions you can rack up just buying small pieces of ginger, single bananas and the like with a bank debit card. I'm thinking you may have six of the type of accounts I use of which some require PIN transactions and some nonPIN transactions.

Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
Yes, I need many debits, like 60+ per month to get the higher interest rates. I've already been banned from one transfer app and prepaid cards just work better. I'd like to avoid the transfer apps/services since they don't like this kind of activity and are aggressive with shutdowns. Serve is perfect, but I don't want to ramp up the monthly debit loads and risk a shutdown.

The online transfers work provided you're using your debit card and not your bank account.

Search this Thread