1$ coin Redux?

Old Feb 12, 18, 11:40 am
Original Poster

1$ coin Redux?

I got the following email from the postal service. I followed the link, and didn't see a catch. Has anyone else researched this offer?All Enrollments now Receive Free Budget Shipping. View this message in your browser.Shop
Product Schedule
Enrollments
Learn
Newsroom
AboutSign up today for an Enrollment Program and receive free budget shipping.

Donít Miss the 2018 Native American $1 Coin
Rolls, Bags and Boxes!
2018 Native American $1
Coin Rolls, Bags and
Boxes Enrollments
MULTI (D)(P)Enroll NowThe United States Mint Online Product Enrollment Program is an easy way for you to stay current on some of your favorite products. This program is structured much like a magazine subscription. Sign up once and we will send your chosen enrollment product to you as it becomes available.

Learn More About Product Enrollments
Did You Miss the 2017 Native American
$1 Rolls, Bags and Boxes?
2017 Native American $1
Coin Rolls, Bags
and Boxes
MULTI (D)(P)Shop Now
1-800-USA-MINT

MyUSMint APP AVAILABLE
on iOS and ANDROID

Check Order Status
Shipping & Returns
FAQs
My Account
Contact UsYou are subscribed to the United States Mint Product & Promotion Updates. Update your subscriptions, modify your email address, or stop subscriptions at any time on your Subscriber Preferences Pages. If you have questions or problems with the subscription service, please contact [email protected]. The United States Mint's numismatic programs are self-sustaining and operate at no cost to the taxpayer.Forward to a FriendThis email was sent from: United States Mint
801 9th Street, N.W., Washington, DC, 20220
Old Feb 12, 18, 12:29 pm

Probably not. Although you get free shipping with an enrollment, note that the coin price is MS-unfriendly, at least for the $1 Native American coin to be issued shortly.

25-Coin Roll – “P” $32.95
250-Coin Box – “P” $275.95
100-Coin Bag – “P” $111.95

ETA: Similarly unfavorable pricing on the America the Beautiful Quarters program. https://www.usmint.gov/news/press-re...-on-february-5
Old Feb 12, 18, 2:13 pm

Programs: Southwest, SPG, Marriott, UR & Amex
Almost jumped in excitement.

Sigh
Old Feb 12, 18, 2:18 pm

They are good looking coins.
Old Feb 12, 18, 5:38 pm

My heart skipped a couple of beats.
Old Feb 13, 18, 7:52 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by tuphat View Post
Probably not. Although you get free shipping with an enrollment, note that the coin price is MS-unfriendly, at least for the $1 Native American coin to be issued shortly.

25-Coin Roll – “P” $32.95
250-Coin Box – “P” $275.95
100-Coin Bag – “P” $111.95

ETA: Similarly unfavorable pricing on the America the Beautiful Quarters program. https://www.usmint.gov/news/press-re...-on-february-5
Why would anyone pay a premium for what is in essence coin of the realm?

This isn't numismatic coins worth collecting such as proof sets (which are available for a price). This is plain old change, and who is going to want to have 250 dollar coins and pay a premium for them so that you can circulate this specific currency that has in essence been rejected by the population.

Maybe the government thinks they see a way to monetize the MS craze
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Feb 13, 18, 10:08 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
I was another member of the heart-skipping group (we may need to invest in an AED).

On a recent trip to the Galapagos, I discovered where all the Sacagawea coins have gone. Ecuador uses the US dollar, and the people there like the dollar coins at least as much as paper bills.
tuphat and hi55us like this.
Old Feb 13, 18, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
Why would anyone pay a premium for what is in essence coin of the realm?

This isn't numismatic coins worth collecting such as proof sets (which are available for a price). This is plain old change, and who is going to want to have 250 dollar coins and pay a premium for them so that you can circulate this specific currency that has in essence been rejected by the population.

Maybe the government thinks they see a way to monetize the MS craze
I think the main explanation is convenience, for those that want/need uncirculated coins, of all denominations (not just $1). One example: those omnipresent ads by Littleton, offering various sets/collections. Or maybe some merchant that likes to give out a particular state or park coin as change. I assume USM wouldn't offer the service unless there was at least some market demand.
Old Feb 13, 18, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Sigh! Thanks for the research.

Search this Thread