Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Experience with Gift of College 2018- onwards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience with Gift of College 2018- onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:06 am

I've never heard of Gift of College before and didn't know much about 529s, so this thread got me interested. I noticed that you can buy either physical or electronic cards online directly from their website, so I just kind of wonder why people don't just do that? Am I missing some particular advantage to doing it through TRU?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by baroqen
I've never heard of Gift of College before and didn't know much about 529s, so this thread got me interested. I noticed that you can buy either physical or electronic cards online directly from their website, so I just kind of wonder why people don't just do that? Am I missing some particular advantage to doing it through TRU?
TRU allowed up to $500 GoC GC for $5.95 fee so it was a cheaper option before they went under -- GoC online website has $200-$300 max for $5.95 fee
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:27 pm

Ah! That's a shame then. I did notice that the gift card maximums were quite low. I (and I'm sure many FT'ers) would happily buy them in thousand or multi-thousand denominations.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Ah! That's a shame then. I did notice that the gift card maximums were quite low. I (and I'm sure many FT'ers) would happily buy them in thousand or multi-thousand denominations.
If you run $50,000/year tuition, this is well it. But a lot of flyers here probably won't pay that much $$$. It all depends.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:57 pm
CDO
Suspended

Originally Posted by RedSun
If you run $50,000/year tuition, this is well it. But a lot of flyers here probably won't pay that much $$$. It all depends.
It's worth it even if you do less than that i think
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:29 pm

If it wasn't such a hassle, I'd be really interested in this (not near a TRU or BRU). I have two kids right now with school fees increasing every year. By the time they're both done with college I expect that it will have cost me close to a million dollars. That's a lot of points! I'd happily dump in the maximums for both my wife and I every year if I could. However, the online option is essentially a 3% fee at $6 for $200, which doesn't seem like it could be worth it, even with a 1.5% card. Do either TRU/BRU (if any of them get bought out and stay open) or the online option have a bonus categories that I could leverage?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:43 am
CDO
Suspended

If it wasn't such a hassle, I'd be really interested in this (not near a TRU or BRU). I have two kids right now with school fees increasing every year. By the time they're both done with college I expect that it will have cost me close to a million dollars. That's a lot of points! I'd happily dump in the maximums for both my wife and I every year if I could. However, the online option is essentially a 3% fee at $6 for $200, which doesn't seem like it could be worth it, even with a 1.5% card. Do either TRU/BRU (if any of them get bought out and stay open) or the online option have a bonus categories that I could leverage?
I don't think so but maybe one of the quarterly bonuses, not sure.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:05 pm

Anyone have experience with the amount of time it actually takes for a GoC gift card loaded to the site to hit the 529 plan?

For the sake of more information, I am referring specifically to FutureScholars.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shawnd300
Anyone have experience with the amount of time it actually takes for a GoC gift card loaded to the site to hit the 529 plan?

For the sake of more information, I am referring specifically to FutureScholars.
10 days to two weeks.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: Several dozen
Thought other retailers were supposed to be carrying the $500s - anyone found any?

Originally Posted by Jatan
TRU allowed up to $500 GoC GC for $5.95 fee so it was a cheaper option before they went under -- GoC online website has $200-$300 max for $5.95 fee
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:36 am

Better RoI if you save your million and tell those kiddos to ditch college and just make their money the old fashioned way - marry a wealthy man or woman! Actually know a guitar player who went that route.

Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
B....
Mod should remove it. It gets nothing to do with Gift of C.

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Thought other retailers were supposed to be carrying the $500s - anyone found any?
Unfortunately not. Hope Best Buy picks up....
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:55 pm

Meh - no sense of humor - right now there are no real GoC card plays. BTW, for the kiddos on their way to college, check if their bookstore is B&N run, like Texas A&M was. You can buy discounted B&N gift cards to apply toward book purchase, rental or subscription or even diploma frames, college gear, etc. Books can be very expensive so you might save a thousand or more - purchased my B&N cards at up to 17% discount on face value.

Originally Posted by RedSun
Mod should remove it. It gets nothing to do with Gift of C.

Unfortunately not. Hope Best Buy picks up....
Old Jul 8, 2018, 3:35 pm

Missing the good old GoC days at TRU. Recently visited Austin TX so figured I'd stop by an H-E-B grocery to relive the glory days. Found the cards but was politely told that there is a $2k limit/day on buying them.

My question for the Texan locals:
Have y'all run into this often at HEB? Is said limit corporate-wide or did I just get a ymmv random local store policy?
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by digitalpop
Missing the good old GoC days at TRU. Recently visited Austin TX so figured I'd stop by an H-E-B grocery to relive the glory days. Found the cards but was politely told that there is a $2k limit/day on buying them.

My question for the Texan locals:
Have y'all run into this often at HEB? Is said limit corporate-wide or did I just get a ymmv random local store policy?
Go with another teller, or come back in a few hours. How much you like to buy the same day? $2k/day is generous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.