FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Borderlinx or similar to avoid sales tax (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1892518-borderlinx-similar-avoid-sales-tax.html)

SideShowBob Feb 6, 2018 11:08 am

Borderlinx or similar to avoid sales tax

While I understand it's a terrible idea and the man is going to eventually come and lock me up with Hillary Clinton, has anyone tried using borderlinx or something similar to get items shipped to an address out of state and then re-shipped to you in a high tax state? I know nobody would do it because we're all upstanding citizens but does anyone know any shady people who have tried this?

littlewinglet Feb 6, 2018 11:43 am

It's done very frequently with high dollar items like paintings. I've seen this method advertised in a Peter Lik gallery, they have operatives in low-tax states who re-ship it. There may be a service like this for such items in general but with general merchandise, just find a seller who doesn't charge sales tax in your state. I've stopped buying big ticket items from Amazon for this very reason for example, considering that their prices are now also not any lower.

sdsearch Feb 6, 2018 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet (Post 29386434)
It's done very frequently with high dollar items like paintings. I've seen this method advertised in a Peter Lik gallery, they have operatives in low-tax states who re-ship it. There may be a service like this for such items in general but with general merchandise, just find a seller who doesn't charge sales tax in your state. I've stopped buying big ticket items from Amazon for this very reason for example, considering that their prices are now also not any lower.

That generally requires a seller with no presence in your state, and thus (among other factors) not a seller with brick-and-stores nationwide.

Amazon itself charges sales tax for me, but it does not charge sales tax for some third-party sellers. Some items that it sells are available through multiple sellers.

SideShowBob Feb 6, 2018 12:20 pm

If your re-shipper is in a state with no sales tax (FL, OR) then it's not an issue where the seller is since there's no tax there. Another option is to buy from a third party seller on Amazon with no tax in your state, then price match using Citi price rewind or something similar to get the difference refunded to your card. Only works for under $500 per item though.

littlewinglet Feb 6, 2018 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by SideShowBob (Post 29386580)
If your re-shipper is in a state with no sales tax (FL, OR) then it's not an issue where the seller is since there's no tax there. Another option is to buy from a third party seller on Amazon with no tax in your state, then price match using Citi price rewind or something similar to get the difference refunded to your card. Only works for under $500 per item though.

Yeah, too much trouble for laptops, TV or camera equipment. I can just get them from B&H and pay zero tax and have much faster free shipping. Amazon also doesn't participate in cashback portals in any meaningful ways, while most of their reputable 3rd party sellers also have their own storefront operations where I can buy direct and often get portal cashback. I've crunched the numbers on a few dozen big ticket items over the past few years and Amazon never made sense by a wide margin.

mia Feb 6, 2018 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by SideShowBob (Post 29386580)
... a state with no sales tax (FL, OR)....

Florida has no state income tax, but we certainly have sales tax.

Hbax Feb 6, 2018 5:20 pm

The five states with no sales tax are Delaware, New Hampshire, Montana, Oregon and Alaska.

cbn42 Feb 7, 2018 4:51 am

This topic is not related to Manufactured Spending.