Wiki Posts
Search

Alternatives to United Mileage Plus X

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Alternatives to United Mileage Plus X

Been using MPX to do some MSing, but not terribly fond of UA miles... Does anyone know of any similar app? The way I understand it, UA is able to offer miles for the discounts because they are getting them below face value from the merchants.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:38 am

How are you MS'ing via MPX?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:07 pm

combination of bonus spend on certain cards, increased rates with united card, and reselling relationships.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by esdot
How are you MS'ing via MPX?
GC Reselling... not impossible to do...
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by makelab
combination of bonus spend on certain cards, increased rates with united card, and reselling relationships.
Yeah I was more thinking along the lines of another airline offering something similar. For instance I'd much rather churn up the miles with Alaska.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
How is MPX different for your purposes from, say, the Alaska Airlines shipping portal?

https://www.alaskaair.com/MileagePla...hopearn-signin
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
How is MPX different for your purposes from, say, the Alaska Airlines shipping portal?

https://www.alaskaair.com/MileagePla...hopearn-signin
MPX Codes as Travel, my guess is buying a merchant GC through the Alaska portal won't achieve this.

I just wish Alaska would copy United's app and give me some more options
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by hi55us
Yeah I was more thinking along the lines of another airline offering something similar. For instance I'd much rather churn up the miles with Alaska.
only thing i know for alaska is VGC to MO. making payments with the MO to the card is easy at the ATM.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:22 pm

Buying MPX gift cards using Platinum Amex

Originally Posted by hi55us
MPX Codes as Travel, my guess is buying a merchant GC through the Alaska portal won't achieve this.

I just wish Alaska would copy United's app and give me some more options
Hi,
I didn’t know MPX codes as travel... Does that mean I’ll earn 5x Amex points if I use my Amex platinum card to buy MPX gift cards? 😊
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Rachelrobinson

Hi,
I didn’t know MPX codes as travel... Does that mean I’ll earn 5x Amex points if I use my Amex platinum card to buy MPX gift cards? 😊
Yes.
Rachelrobinson likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MPX does not code as travel with Chase (at least, not on my CSR). It codes as whatever category the store is in. So if I buy a starbucks card through MPX is codes as dining (3x pts on my CSR) but if I buy a Google Play gift card it codes as "other" and I get 1 pt.

On the other hand, with my Amazon Visa (also from Chase), Amazon GCs through MPX do NOT earn 3x pts (they come through as "other purchases"). Presumably they are looking at the payment processor to determine the bonus -- if it's not Amazon, no bonus.

Of course Amex may do things differently. But any broad statements about whether they count as travel or something else is dependent on, at least, the credit card company, and, more likely, the actual card. My suggestion is to buy a small-valued GC for somewhere where you shop anyway, and see how it codes, and don't expect it to be consistent across all your CCs (so if you don't like the result, try a different card)
Rachelrobinson likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
MPX does not code as travel with Chase (at least, not on my CSR). It codes as whatever category the store is in. So if I buy a starbucks card through MPX is codes as dining (3x pts on my CSR) but if I buy a Google Play gift card it codes as "other" and I get 1 pt.

On the other hand, with my Amazon Visa (also from Chase), Amazon GCs through MPX do NOT earn 3x pts (they come through as "other purchases"). Presumably they are looking at the payment processor to determine the bonus -- if it's not Amazon, no bonus.

Of course Amex may do things differently. But any broad statements about whether they count as travel or something else is dependent on, at least, the credit card company, and, more likely, the actual card. My suggestion is to buy a small-valued GC for somewhere where you shop anyway, and see how it codes, and don't expect it to be consistent across all your CCs (so if you don't like the result, try a different card)
See post #9 , Rachelrobinson asked for Amex Plat and no Chase so the answer is yes, using Amex Plat or Amex Plat Schwab through MPX count as travel and do earn 5x pts.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

For Visa and Mastercard credit cards, the underlying merchant category is passed through, but not the specific merchant. That's why Amazon GC's don't earn an Amazon bonus on your card, because it's not recognized per se as Amazon. So a gift card through MPX for a restaurant like Dominos Pizza, or whatever will earn the respective category bonus for restaurants of whatever card it's charged to. If it's a Chase freedom during restaurant quarter, it'll earn 5x, if it's a CSR it's 3x, and so on and so forth. And yes I know this from personal experience. I like mediocre cheap pizza when it comes with a side of bonus miles.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
For Visa and Mastercard credit cards, the underlying merchant category is passed through, but not the specific merchant. That's why Amazon GC's don't earn an Amazon bonus on your card, because it's not recognized per se as Amazon. So a gift card through MPX for a restaurant like Dominos Pizza, or whatever will earn the respective category bonus for restaurants of whatever card it's charged to. If it's a Chase freedom during restaurant quarter, it'll earn 5x, if it's a CSR it's 3x, and so on and so forth. And yes I know this from personal experience. I like mediocre cheap pizza when it comes with a side of bonus miles.
I kind of figured that this was the case. Also:

1. Dominoes is great cheap pizza
2. CPK is pretty good for something that looks healthier but probably isn't.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
In my experience:
Citi AT&T Access More is 3x for everything on MPX
Amex PRG is 3x on everything
Amex BGR is 3x on everything if you select airfare as your 3x category
Amex Platinum is 5x on everything
The rest of Visa/MC/Discover depends on a category of the merchant from which they buy GC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.