Alternatives to United Mileage Plus X

Old Jan 31, 18, 10:54 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: BOS/PSC - bicoastal at the moment
Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Posts: 1,357
Alternatives to United Mileage Plus X

Been using MPX to do some MSing, but not terribly fond of UA miles... Does anyone know of any similar app? The way I understand it, UA is able to offer miles for the discounts because they are getting them below face value from the merchants.
hi55us is offline  
Old Jan 31, 18, 11:38 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 66
How are you MS'ing via MPX?
esdot is offline  
Old Jan 31, 18, 6:07 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 71
combination of bonus spend on certain cards, increased rates with united card, and reselling relationships.
makelab is offline  
Old Feb 1, 18, 6:01 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: BOS/PSC - bicoastal at the moment
Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Posts: 1,357
Originally Posted by esdot View Post
How are you MS'ing via MPX?
GC Reselling... not impossible to do...
hi55us is offline  
Old Feb 1, 18, 6:02 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: BOS/PSC - bicoastal at the moment
Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Posts: 1,357
Originally Posted by makelab View Post
combination of bonus spend on certain cards, increased rates with united card, and reselling relationships.
Yeah I was more thinking along the lines of another airline offering something similar. For instance I'd much rather churn up the miles with Alaska.
hi55us is offline  
Old Feb 1, 18, 10:37 am
  #6  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 38,580
How is MPX different for your purposes from, say, the Alaska Airlines shipping portal?

https://www.alaskaair.com/MileagePla...hopearn-signin
mia is offline  
Old Feb 1, 18, 1:28 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: BOS/PSC - bicoastal at the moment
Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Posts: 1,357
Originally Posted by mia View Post
How is MPX different for your purposes from, say, the Alaska Airlines shipping portal?

https://www.alaskaair.com/MileagePla...hopearn-signin
MPX Codes as Travel, my guess is buying a merchant GC through the Alaska portal won't achieve this.

I just wish Alaska would copy United's app and give me some more options
hi55us is offline  
Old Feb 1, 18, 3:59 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 71
Originally Posted by hi55us View Post
Yeah I was more thinking along the lines of another airline offering something similar. For instance I'd much rather churn up the miles with Alaska.
only thing i know for alaska is VGC to MO. making payments with the MO to the card is easy at the ATM.
makelab is offline  
Old Feb 1, 18, 5:22 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Buying MPX gift cards using Platinum Amex

Originally Posted by hi55us View Post
MPX Codes as Travel, my guess is buying a merchant GC through the Alaska portal won't achieve this.

I just wish Alaska would copy United's app and give me some more options
Hi,
I didnít know MPX codes as travel... Does that mean Iíll earn 5x Amex points if I use my Amex platinum card to buy MPX gift cards? 😊
Rachelrobinson is offline  
Old Feb 1, 18, 6:01 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 116
Originally Posted by Rachelrobinson View Post


Hi,
I didnít know MPX codes as travel... Does that mean Iíll earn 5x Amex points if I use my Amex platinum card to buy MPX gift cards? 😊
Yes.
Rachelrobinson likes this.
elegua is offline  
Old Feb 1, 18, 7:40 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,356
MPX does not code as travel with Chase (at least, not on my CSR). It codes as whatever category the store is in. So if I buy a starbucks card through MPX is codes as dining (3x pts on my CSR) but if I buy a Google Play gift card it codes as "other" and I get 1 pt.

On the other hand, with my Amazon Visa (also from Chase), Amazon GCs through MPX do NOT earn 3x pts (they come through as "other purchases"). Presumably they are looking at the payment processor to determine the bonus -- if it's not Amazon, no bonus.

Of course Amex may do things differently. But any broad statements about whether they count as travel or something else is dependent on, at least, the credit card company, and, more likely, the actual card. My suggestion is to buy a small-valued GC for somewhere where you shop anyway, and see how it codes, and don't expect it to be consistent across all your CCs (so if you don't like the result, try a different card)
Rachelrobinson likes this.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Feb 1, 18, 9:26 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 116
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
MPX does not code as travel with Chase (at least, not on my CSR). It codes as whatever category the store is in. So if I buy a starbucks card through MPX is codes as dining (3x pts on my CSR) but if I buy a Google Play gift card it codes as "other" and I get 1 pt.

On the other hand, with my Amazon Visa (also from Chase), Amazon GCs through MPX do NOT earn 3x pts (they come through as "other purchases"). Presumably they are looking at the payment processor to determine the bonus -- if it's not Amazon, no bonus.

Of course Amex may do things differently. But any broad statements about whether they count as travel or something else is dependent on, at least, the credit card company, and, more likely, the actual card. My suggestion is to buy a small-valued GC for somewhere where you shop anyway, and see how it codes, and don't expect it to be consistent across all your CCs (so if you don't like the result, try a different card)
See post #9 , Rachelrobinson asked for Amex Plat and no Chase so the answer is yes, using Amex Plat or Amex Plat Schwab through MPX count as travel and do earn 5x pts.
elegua is offline  
Old Feb 1, 18, 10:11 pm
  #13  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Posts: 8,031
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
MPX does not code as travel with Chase (at least, not on my CSR). It codes as whatever category the store is in. So if I buy a starbucks card through MPX is codes as dining (3x pts on my CSR) but if I buy a Google Play gift card it codes as "other" and I get 1 pt.

On the other hand, with my Amazon Visa (also from Chase), Amazon GCs through MPX do NOT earn 3x pts (they come through as "other purchases"). Presumably they are looking at the payment processor to determine the bonus -- if it's not Amazon, no bonus.

Of course Amex may do things differently. But any broad statements about whether they count as travel or something else is dependent on, at least, the credit card company, and, more likely, the actual card. My suggestion is to buy a small-valued GC for somewhere where you shop anyway, and see how it codes, and don't expect it to be consistent across all your CCs (so if you don't like the result, try a different card)
For Visa and Mastercard credit cards, the underlying merchant category is passed through, but not the specific merchant. That's why Amazon GC's don't earn an Amazon bonus on your card, because it's not recognized per se as Amazon. So a gift card through MPX for a restaurant like Dominos Pizza, or whatever will earn the respective category bonus for restaurants of whatever card it's charged to. If it's a Chase freedom during restaurant quarter, it'll earn 5x, if it's a CSR it's 3x, and so on and so forth. And yes I know this from personal experience. I like mediocre cheap pizza when it comes with a side of bonus miles.
krazykanuck is offline  
Old Feb 2, 18, 3:51 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,356
Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
For Visa and Mastercard credit cards, the underlying merchant category is passed through, but not the specific merchant. That's why Amazon GC's don't earn an Amazon bonus on your card, because it's not recognized per se as Amazon. So a gift card through MPX for a restaurant like Dominos Pizza, or whatever will earn the respective category bonus for restaurants of whatever card it's charged to. If it's a Chase freedom during restaurant quarter, it'll earn 5x, if it's a CSR it's 3x, and so on and so forth. And yes I know this from personal experience. I like mediocre cheap pizza when it comes with a side of bonus miles.
I kind of figured that this was the case. Also:

1. Dominoes is great cheap pizza
2. CPK is pretty good for something that looks healthier but probably isn't.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Feb 7, 18, 11:51 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SJC/SFO
Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, Priceline, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Wyndham, Hilton
Posts: 1,237
In my experience:
Citi AT&T Access More is 3x for everything on MPX
Amex PRG is 3x on everything
Amex BGR is 3x on everything if you select airfare as your 3x category
Amex Platinum is 5x on everything
The rest of Visa/MC/Discover depends on a category of the merchant from which they buy GC.
yugi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread